Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

awesome use of a v8 in a 944 (dont hate me)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 04:29 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Just another pipe dream, but how about an RB20DET? Those are pretty sweet motors. A buddy had a 91 240SX with that swap and that motor sounded GREAT. fit very easily too...
Old 04-27-2006, 04:39 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Markota
Just another pipe dream, but how about an RB20DET? Those are pretty sweet motors. A buddy had a 91 240SX with that swap and that motor sounded GREAT. fit very easily too...
The length would be the determining factor.... And overall width with the turbos.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:07 PM
jp951
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Tony...how about those videos you had coming?? I'm dying to see that thing in action!

Manuel
Old 05-13-2006, 04:48 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Hey jp,

Here is a very quick video of my 944LS1. Easy to hear the way it sounds, and rev's.

944 V8 launch vid
Old 05-13-2006, 05:18 PM
D944tech
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael B.
Hey jp,

Here is a very quick video of my 944LS1. Easy to hear the way it sounds, and rev's.

944 V8 launch vid
Great video, I don't think a 944 turbo could launch as good as a V8 hybrid. I can't understand why people would continue to dump money in a obsolete engine. The best most economical and reliable upgrade you can do in a 951 is a LS1 swap.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:59 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by D944tech
Great video, I don't think a 944 turbo could launch as good as a V8 hybrid. I can't understand why people would continue to dump money in a obsolete engine. The best most economical and reliable upgrade you can do in a 951 is a LS1 swap.
Thanks man.

I dunno though... I can drive them both, stock & LS1. They are both cool. Either way the car is a hot rod when done right.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:33 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael B.
Hey jp,

944 V8 launch vid
Old 05-13-2006, 07:48 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys...

Gonna have the video this week. Been busy.

Also got the power brakes finished (powered off of the power steeing pump) with 2000psi of braking power! Brakes are now a done deal.

Until then...

TonyG
Old 05-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JPR
The twin turbo installation would be a very large headache to keep running reliably; it would probably wear you out on a short drive due to the vibration and noise of the cam lope. Also the additional weight would screw up the cars handling balance.
Uhh, WTF are you talking about? Have you even seen a twin-turbo LS1 before, much less driven or worked on one?

Sam
Old 05-13-2006, 09:13 PM
D944tech
Banned

Originally Posted by TonyG
Hey guys...

Gonna have the video this week. Been busy.

Also got the power brakes finished (powered off of the power steeing pump) with 2000psi of braking power! Brakes are now a done deal.

Until then...

TonyG

Tony, I can't wait to see the videos, maybe one or two of the Porsche purist will open their narrow minds and realize that the 951 engine is the biggest POS Porsche ever made. I have a 944 with a lt-1 and I have never encounter a 951 that can keep with my car. The 951 engine is obsolete is like a hand grenade ready to explode. Modifying a 951 is pointless because it will never achieve the reliability and power of the Chevy engine.

Thanks for bringing the light to this forum Tony, as someone said before your D’man.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:44 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by D944tech
Tony, I can't wait to see the videos, maybe one or two of the Porsche purist will open their narrow minds and realize that the 951 engine is the biggest POS Porsche ever made.
As much as I agree that the an LSX-based conversion can ultimately be a more reliable route to 400+ hp, silly statements like the above are, well, silly

Tony, great job on the car! the attention to detail throughout looks very good.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:17 PM
JPR
Racer

I fail to see what in my comment do you take so much offense to. the stock 4 cylinder only has one turbo and have you noticed how many posts in this list are exclusively about the engine reliability issues, particularly having to do with the turbo system? I fail to see what in the ls1's makeup would make it any more natural to twin turbo specially since there is such little leftover space under the exhaust manifolds in this application. I also have the experience of the install of the LS1 in the car I currently own and of having the two turbo engines before it. But I guess that from your comments you must be the GURU of the 951 LS1 twin turbo install for both the street and race, right?

Jpr

Originally Posted by Sam Lin
Uhh, WTF are you talking about? Have you even seen a twin-turbo LS1 before, much less driven or worked on one?

Sam
Old 05-13-2006, 10:40 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPR
I fail to see what in my comment do you take so much offense to. the stock 4 cylinder only has one turbo and have you noticed how many posts in this list are exclusively about the engine reliability issues, particularly having to do with the turbo system? I fail to see what in the ls1's makeup would make it any more natural to twin turbo specially since there is such little leftover space under the exhaust manifolds in this application. I also have the experience of the install of the LS1 in the car I currently own and of having the two turbo engines before it. But I guess that from your comments you must be the GURU of the 951 LS1 twin turbo install for both the street and race, right?

Jpr
umm personally all my friends run turbos on their v8's. A ls1 is just as easy to turbo as anything other n/a motor. Meaning its a invloved process. It isint however brain surgery or very difficult to get done. I could count out a half a dozen of turbo'd ls1's that I personally know of that run fine all with different setups.

Anytime you change the overal dynamic of a motor your going to be putting in hours. But, your comments about turbo's adding weight and messing up balance and all this other crap is just that....crap.

Oh and I have owned several lt1's and a ls1 myself. It's not like im a newb when talking about that motor or its capabilities. Please do yourself a favor and dont make blanket comments. There are tons of turbo kits out there on the market now and lots of have withstood abuse and race conditions without anymore failure than any other hp variant.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:45 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh and btw tony that is one badass conversion you got going there man. Anyone who complaines about modding the car to that level is crazy. We all mod our cars and we all put aftermarket non porshe products on them.

I say if your going to mod it...just mod it with style and make it look clean. Your project sure looks top notch and anyone who would say otherwise needs to put the crack pipe down.

Nice work and nice ls1 conversion. They are very potent motors that can take alot of abuse and are cheep to maintain in retrospect to our stock 2.5ltrs. If you ever decided to go turbo I could throw plenty of ideas your way.

Hell thats all my friends drive. Ls1's and ls6's. I only know of a few heavily modded ls7's in my area and i dont know any of those guys personally very well. Although the new ls7 powerplant is one bad bitch.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:12 PM
JPR
Racer

"Anytime you change the overal dynamic of a motor your going to be putting in hours. But, your comments about turbo's adding weight and messing up balance and all this other crap is just that....crap. "

So you say that the added weight of the turbo system and plumbing will do "crap" to the balance of the car? Dam, I should have known that engineering degree I got in the capitain crunch box wouldn't make me any smarter...............

"Oh and I have owned several lt1's and a ls1 myself. It's not like im a newb when talking about that motor or its capabilities. Please do yourself a favor and dont make blanket comments. There are tons of turbo kits out there on the market now and lots of have withstood abuse and race conditions without anymore failure than any other hp variant."

When you install the turbo kit on in your LS1 powered 951, then let me how it runs. In the mean time, with up to 450 rwhp easily available from a N/A LS1 with some mods to a on a light body like the 951, why would you go thru the hassle of twin turbos ?

Jpr

Last edited by JPR; 05-13-2006 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: awesome use of a v8 in a 944 (dont hate me)