Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

awesome use of a v8 in a 944 (dont hate me)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 06:48 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D944tech
Thanks Michael, indeed it was years of bashing. But now they can see the light
Wow, you are right, maybe now I should swap in that chevy motor. And so should everybody else in a 944/951
Old 04-18-2006, 08:26 PM
MR951
Racer

Why should I be nice? I can show you a lot of threads where the hybrid crowd was put down by the so called "PURIST". Now that they realized that the 944 engine is a POS they are interested in the swap. lol
And that is why there will probably never be a 944-V8 section on Rennlist. We can't even get through one thread without either a Hybird guy or a "Purist" guy bringing up past wrongs or insults.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:39 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

I for one don't have an issue with anybody putting whatever motor into the 944 turbo, be it a Grand National Buick V6, Audi V6 with twin turbo. Just think of the possibilities plus the reliability of that combination or the new LS7 which would be mind boggling.
What seems to be the problem here! I think it would be a great addition to the Rennlist to have a hybread section, it would bring a lot more interst to the board. Just my two cents!!!

Last edited by pk951; 04-18-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Marks951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

back on topic....I think the transaxle and CV joints holding up is mostly related to how one drives the car....I imagine if one just popped the clutch with the V8 and had some decent tires it would break the axles, joints or trans really fast. On a side note though I bet changing the clutch would be easier with the V8 in there.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:27 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MR951
And that is why there will probably never be a 944-V8 section on Rennlist. We can't even get through one thread without either a Hybird guy or a "Purist" guy bringing up past wrongs or insults.
Not necessarily...... but why not as with any other topic can claims not be confronted with opposition...?

When there's a 300,000 mile old LS engine being beat on on track in the dead of Summer in the southern US at a heat index of 110 + like my son's 944S, then reliability claims would have a little more weight.

TS
Old 04-18-2006, 09:52 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Not necessarily...... but why not as with any other topic can claims not be confronted with opposition...?

When there's a 300,000 mile old LS engine being beat on on track in the dead of Summer in the southern US at a heat index of 110 + like my son's 944S, then reliability claims would have a little more weight.

TS
I agree opposition creates better topics... but there was no opposition in this post. D944t just came out of now where and is still beating in a mute point. Looks to me that most here actually are in favor of a v-8 board here, maybe thats why the owner of porschehybrids is upset and attempting to flame? The fact that his site could be over run by this one??

As to what you have been saying D944t, an ls-lt engine IS NOT your only option. Nor is it the only good one. Thats what makes everyones cars unique, some maybe the best bang for buck, others horrible bang for buck, doesnt mean you shouldnt do it.

You keep saying we've now seen the light. You act like we are all going to be 944 naysayers now. Its not going to happen, is that whats making you act like this?? These cas are getting to the point where they are old enough where people are going to start making some creative projects, why does the ls-lt have to be the only one. Its not a black and white issue.

Yes, i will agree in the past ALOT of people really got on your guys asses and really went out of line. But there was also VERY little insight on what you guys did and ALOT of you guys really presented your projects like asses. Hence the whole 944 SUCK LS-LT RULZZZ!!!! comon, how immature do you have to be.

The reason we are "Seeing the Light" is because people like tony are describing and presenting their v-8 projects in a very insightful way. It takes awhile to bring in a new idea and sometimes your critized for it, but if its really a good idea EVENTUALLY people will open up to it. It wont happen overnight. Most people have now opened up to it because some people have been very insightful, and many really like the idea.

Its time to drop the past. The woman style arguing of bringing up stuff from 120391123 yrs ago is rediculous.

If it will make you happy, just think that your idea is out and generally accepted now, so you have won, we understand, you dont need to beat a dead horse.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:54 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Thnx for the cv joint and axle clearification guys. Nice to know the stock 951 can handle normal/track conditions, as long as its not beat to hell.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:56 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Another thing CAN the ls7 fit???? 7 liters is huge compared to an already tight 5.

If it does fit then HOLY CRAP, 500hp/500tq STOCK, in a car you can easily get to 2800lbs without a sweat.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:13 PM
D944tech
Banned

Originally Posted by ztnedman1
The reason we are "Seeing the Light" is because people like tony are describing and presenting their v-8 projects in a very insightful way. It takes awhile to bring in a new idea and sometimes your critized for it, but if its really a good idea EVENTUALLY people will open up to it. It wont happen overnight. Most people have now opened up to it because some people have been very insightful, and many really like the idea..
I Agree, Tony Garcia has been one of the pioneers in the development of modded 944turbos. In my own opinion, he knows more about 951's than the whole board of incompetent purist combined together. It is obvious that he came to the conclusion that the 944 turbo engine is useless through his own R&D. Now, we can all agree that the best upgrade money can buy for a Porsche 944 is a chevy engine.

Well done Tony
Old 04-18-2006, 10:36 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

I Agree, Tony Garcia has been one of the pioneers in the development of modded 944turbos. In my own opinion, he knows more about 951's than the whole board of incompetent purist combined together. It is obvious that he came to the conclusion that the 944 turbo engine is useless through his own R&D. Now, we can all agree that the best upgrade money can buy for a Porsche 944 is a chevy engine.

Well done Tony
Its still only the best upgrade if your looking for serious power. Some people just want to do some quick bolt-ons, or a chip to get some more power. 90% will agree though for big power 10-15k for a complete package is without a doubt a great deal.

I wouldnt say the 944 engine is useless either. But vs. a fresh new big v-8(yum) its certainly inferior when it comes to the big power.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:21 AM
D944tech
Banned

Its still only the best upgrade if your looking for serious power. Some people just want to do some quick bolt-ons, or a chip to get some more power. 90% will agree though for big power 10-15k for a complete package is without a doubt a great deal.
For quick bolt-ons nothing is better than a set of chips while running no more than 15psi of boost. Otherwise, the 944 engine will self destruct, There is no such thing as reliable power over 20 psi. Claims by some tools of 25+ psi and 500rwhp are not only impossible but ridiculous.

I wouldnt say the 944 engine is useless either. But vs. a fresh new big v-8(yum) its certainly inferior when it comes to the big power.
By modern standards, the 944 engine is not only inferior, but useless compared to the potential of the LS engine.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:42 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Whoa!
A 951 engine is a POS , what is going on here . Tony G does a V8 conversion and now everyone wants a 958

Nice work Gman , would love to here what the real world performance difference is vs the 2.5 L , as to whp , track times etc. 18 G is a lot of cash but i guess it would be compariable to some of the upper 951 mods done here. THe v8 conversion would be intoxicating to those who love or want that , for boost junkies , nothing beats that too. i don't view one as being in this situation superior to the other, as i do not believe an ls7 with the minor mods done as in T 's case would be faster than a 951 done up.

Mike Gokey does a lot of those type of v8 conversions , he is nearby , quite possible the next 951 we have in line to be done we can really see if the v8's get on with it over a prepared 951, it would make for an interesting comparision vs the mud slinging .

Old 04-19-2006, 12:57 AM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

For quick bolt-ons nothing is better than a set of chips while running no more than 15psi of boost. Otherwise, the 944 engine will self destruct, There is no such thing as reliable power over 20 psi. Claims by some tools of 25+ psi and 500rwhp are not only impossible but ridiculous.

By modern standards, the 944 engine is not only inferior, but useless compared to the potential of the LS engine.
OMG man, you have absolutely no knowledge aobut Turbocharging at all. I want you to go and tell all these tuners/Race teams that you think anything above 20psi is not reliable power. That's the dumbest statement I have seen, and you should be embarassed. This thread has gone from something informative that I and others like learning from, to a waste of space.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:05 AM
Barry Johnson
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, heres a new one...

How about a Dodge HEMI crate motor instead of a chev engine?
Anyone know if the dimension are similar? Lets throw out cost and upgrades and just talk dimensions... 340hp and 390ft/lbs stock, and a great power band.

And if that will fit (now REALLY throwing out weight, cost, etc), then the new Cummins 610 used in the trucks might fit too!!!
325hp, 610ft/lbs of torque. Add a chip and you get 800ft/lbs. Torque baby!

This is all figurative, but those engines would be sweet, and I'd love to see a high powered diesel motor in one. Great mpg, HUGE torque, awesome reliability, easy upgrades...
Now if it could fit... Obviously it wouldn't be worth the cost and time and all necessary reinforcements of the chassis and suspension and drivetrain, but it would be damn right awesome!

Also, the Viper motor is actually close in dimension to those motors as well, and 500hp.

Please, don't say "thats a stupid idea" or "what idiot would pay for that" or anything derogitory, just for pipe-dreams guys
Old 04-19-2006, 01:16 AM
D944tech
Banned

Originally Posted by HIGHBOOST
OMG man, you have absolutely no knowledge aobut Turbocharging at all. I want you to go and tell all these tuners/Race teams that you think anything above 20psi is not reliable power. That's the dumbest statement I have seen, and you should be embarassed. This thread has gone from something informative that I and others like learning from, to a waste of space.

I know about turbocharging, it works, but not on the 951 plattaform and it's a poor engine design. Remember it’s only half of the 928 engine which is even a bigger disaster. C’mon, you know vendors are getting rich selling upgrades that add minimal power and that ultimately make the 944 engine much less reliable than already is.

Quick Reply: awesome use of a v8 in a 944 (dont hate me)