EDIT: 951 exhaust manifolds...see last Post/Poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nize
d993; where did you get those prices? this got me interested so i did some searching and managed to find a few more suppliers, but i don't know what their prices are;

http://www.atlasmetals.com.au/produc...s_tubular.html
http://www.goodfellow.com/csp/active...%20Steel%20321
http://www.spdexhaust.com/bend-specs.html
http://exhaustedbyphillips.com/stainless__u.htm
http://www.indiamart.com/technosteel/

tim; this might be a good time to shop around again.
Some of those for sure wouldn't work for him.

I am in the steel industry, and I could supply Tim or anyone else with tubes, but unfortunately my volume level is a little too high for this market. (Ok way too high) The raw materials are also just a portion of what you are paying for in headers.

I know what materials cost, and I don't see Tim's headers as over priced. If Mark can build a competing product that's great. If he gets into it and determines it's a bigger PITA than he expected I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:08 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If you guys notice d993 has a double standard. He loves to charge a pretty penny for everything he wants to sell(dismantler) but consistently questions other vendors for charging too much. How about following your advise??
Raj
Old 04-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, why is there all of this bickering and arguing going on?....
Seems to me this whole thread should have gone something like this.

<vendor>: I have this great idea for a product, does anybody want it?
<rennlist>: YES!
<vendor>: let me calculate cost, and build a prototype then get back to you

*a couple weeks later*
One of these two happens
<vendor>: Yes we can do it for this price, let's take orders
Or
<vendor>: Okay, we grossly mis-quoted. We are sorry.

There is no need for all of this bickering. Why don't we just let it play out, and see if what he is saying is possible.
If it is, then perhaps we should all take a page from the book he is writing, because he has most certainly done something right.

I was watching this thread every day with loads of enthusiasm, now I have avoided it for days.

I'm not trying to be a total a$$hole, but come on.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:55 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

I agree with the above post. No need to take knocks against anyone.
Raj
Old 04-07-2006, 01:15 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree completely with Raj. I have no problem with d993 charging what he does, but it is the pot calling the kettle black in this case. Tim runs a business. He must cover costs and make a profit.

Beyond that, I don't think Tim is ripping people off. He sells an expensive product. Is Porsche ripping people off by selling the 997S for $90k when the Z06 outperforms it for $75k? No, they offer different products and the consumer can choose what each is worth.

Maybe d993 would be willing to sell me a set of M030 hubs, spindles and brakes for Honda prices. I mean, they are just damn suspension parts! Come on!
Old 04-07-2006, 01:16 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh and finally, I completely agree with Zero. The proof is in the pudding. I am not about to stop Mark from trying to help out this community. I really don't know if he can do it, but I will encourage him to try.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTim
The problem is that is would weight more then 50lbs and your studs in your head will snap.

Uh huh.

Sam
Old 04-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im just curious how companys that make say honda headers can sell them so cheaply and make a profit. If only dc made 951 headers
Old 04-07-2006, 09:51 PM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Okay, why is there all of this bickering and arguing going on?....
AND

im just curious how companys that make say honda headers can sell them so cheaply and make a profit
I have to say I agree with both those statements, there is no reason (other than not wanting the competition) to discourage Mark from making an affordable product.
And S/S Honda headers are not the only ones that fall into the "affordable" category. There are others such as F bodies and Corvettes and they have double the amount of tubes that a 951 has. I'm sure a lot has to do with the volume (mass production, as opposed to hand made) at which those sell but I also wonder if it hasn't something to do with having a better price for raw materials.

Anyway, Mark, how about a weekly update?
Old 04-07-2006, 09:56 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by Cory9584
im just curious how companys that make say honda headers can sell them so cheaply and make a profit. If only dc made 951 headers

Alot of stuff is made in China and everything is alot less including labor and materials.However, we have welded up more then a few Ebay headers and they are junk.One customer had us welded it up about 7 different times and when we were done it had about 50 welds on it!
Old 04-08-2006, 04:53 AM
d993
Racer

Originally Posted by 944 Fanatic
D993, If you can make anything of any quality for the price point you are talking about, I'll buy 10 of them AND I'll toss in a free ride on MY pet unicorn.

Go troll someone else's thread.
I'm not trolling anyone's thread.
(Why don't you go back to the beginning of the thread and read from the start?)

I simply stated what can be done.
If somebody else who charges 4 times as much doesn't like it, well too bad!
Old 04-08-2006, 04:57 AM
d993
Racer

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
If you guys notice d993 has a double standard. He loves to charge a pretty penny for everything he wants to sell(dismantler) but consistently questions other vendors for charging too much. How about following your advise??
Raj
Raj,
Show me ONE time where I've charged too much for a used Porche part.

You're more than happy to pay a premium for custom parts, but when there's a cheaper alternative, you won't give up on finding reasons why it won't work.

Tell us how much you've spent on your 968 Turbo conversion.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:14 AM
d993
Racer

Originally Posted by macnewma
I agree completely with Raj. I have no problem with d993 charging what he does, but it is the pot calling the kettle black in this case. Tim runs a business. He must cover costs and make a profit.

Beyond that, I don't think Tim is ripping people off. He sells an expensive product. Is Porsche ripping people off by selling the 997S for $90k when the Z06 outperforms it for $75k? No, they offer different products and the consumer can choose what each is worth.

Maybe d993 would be willing to sell me a set of M030 hubs, spindles and brakes for Honda prices. I mean, they are just damn suspension parts! Come on!
macnewma,

I don't have an M030 suspension right now, but if I did, I would charge you less than 25% of new cost from Porsche for the COMPLETE M030 setup.

Of course, I would never (it wouldn't be feasible for me) try to MAKE a Porsche engine, transmission, suspension part, body part or interior part.........I charge between 20% and 50% of new cost for these good used parts.

But we're talking about PIPING here. Freakin PIPING!!!!! Piping which can be bought in certain size diameters, radius of bends, etc, etc et-fkn-cetera!

I never said Tim is ripping people off. He tells them in advance how much it costs. Same with me. Now that is up to the buyer to decide if he's getting ripped off.

I run 2 businesses, and I do ok, but I'm not wealthy.
I can have high bills too, all I have to do is be a little careless and/or get into a bad investment.
WTF do I do then? Am I supposed to pass on the costs of my new bills to my customers?
Old 04-08-2006, 05:24 AM
d993
Racer

Originally Posted by 951Boost
AND

S/S Honda headers are not the only ones that fall into the "affordable" category. There are others such as F bodies and Corvettes and they have double the amount of tubes that a 951 has. I'm sure a lot has to do with the volume (mass production, as opposed to hand made) at which those sell but I also wonder if it hasn't something to do with having a better price for raw materials.
NO! Raw materials is just a tiny part of the reason why.
90% of the reason is the type of people who own a certain car and are more likely to spend a LOT of $ modifying it.

Do you realize what is required to do an ECU upgrade (reflash) to a Audi A6 2.7tt? An average of $500.
For a 993 Turbo? $3000.
For a Bentley GT? $4500.
Same exact mods.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:04 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by d993
Raj,
Tell us how much you've spent on your 968 Turbo conversion.
LOL, do you have to remind me? Its still not over yet!!
Yikes!

Quick Reply: EDIT: 951 exhaust manifolds...see last Post/Poll