Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

3.? Liter 16 Valve Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 04:48 PM
devgriff
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't recall the specific RPM at which I got 12psi. I have not begun any serious datalogging. If I had to guess I would say it was somewhere in the 4000s.

The performance difference between my previous 2.5L 8v turbo setup and my current 3.0L 16v turbo setup is noticeable across all RPM ranges within my 12psi limit. When I am able to run higher boost on the 3.0L 16v, then I can comment more on the difference in performance.

The vertical engine will be installed this fall. I am shooting for mid October. I used a Turbonetics T70 on the vertical engine.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:08 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

What happens to threads like this? There it is just sailing along and nice and meaty then suddenly it just disappears??? I'd like to know more of how this motor is going now or any others like it. Another question, how does the transmission stand up to these sort of power levels? Aren't our axles and CV joints meant to be a bit of an achilles heel? What sort of clutches are being used and are they satisfactory around town?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Markus951
Racer

Maybe I can answer you on this in short term since I have something similar going on right now

What happens to threads like this? There it is just sailing along and nice and meaty then suddenly it just disappears??? I'd like to know more of how this motor is going now or any others like it. Another question, how does the transmission stand up to these sort of power levels? Aren't our axles and CV joints meant to be a bit of an achilles heel? What sort of clutches are being used and are they satisfactory around town?
Old 07-13-2007, 03:39 PM
turbinek
Instructor

wonderful any details?
Old 07-13-2007, 09:05 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Plenty. Check Markus' thread "The Saga continues..."
I'd still like to know what happened to the originator of this thread though. Anyone with any ideas of Devgriff and his car???
Old 08-27-2007, 09:16 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

maybe i can revive this thread .i would like to descuss a couple of little things.couple of things i'm undecided on on my build
first is comp ratio please you guys post some real experience only with 16v 3.0 turbos
what comp ratio you run what boost and do you think you should have gone up of down .i get 98 octane at the pump and sometimes 100 the car is not likely to go out above 36 degrees C and i'm pretty keen on keeping it all pretty cool modest front mount IC bonnet vent and reverse flow electirc water pump all this should allow me to be a bit more ambitous with compratio .

next question seems that upsizing my inlet valves in my 2.5 S 16v head to the bigger 968 I magine it would result in similar max power 2 psi less boost .
Old 08-27-2007, 09:18 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

hey Markus is that a old BMW throttle body?
Old 08-28-2007, 03:24 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not Markus, but yes, it's BMW TB.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:35 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I'd still like to know what happened to the originator of this thread though. Anyone with any ideas of Devgriff and his car???
I agree with you Patrick, there was a lot of great information, along with a few nice builds happening in this thread. It has literally been a year this month, what happened to these engines?

devgriff: If you are reading this, please post some updates of these fabulous engines!

Old 09-19-2007, 09:55 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Yes the progress of the big bore 951 club has grown a lot in a year and it would be nice to track the progress of one of the earlier guys to go large. Hopefully he'll read this and let us know of his car now?
Old 09-20-2007, 01:57 AM
George D
Drifting

Yes the progress of the big bore 951 club has grown a lot in a year and it would be nice to track the progress of one of the earlier guys to go large. Hopefully he'll read this and let us know of his car now?

I know of many projects that aren't on Rennlist. I'll attempt to get them to post here. I've talked with a few and their expectations were outdone with the performance. I don't want to start a thread from their conversations with me, but our conversations with me validates my 3.0 project.

I will keep this community appraised of my motor build. Tim at SFR is doing a good job of posting his progress. He will have the new 3.0 motor next week, and will post pictures and such to this community. We will also post the dyno results and video's of the runs. I plan on spending time with Tim in a few weeks at these dyno sessions and such.

I don't care who knows what we did and how we did it. Others don't want their stuff known. Silly, but it's their decision.

There are some amazing 951 cars lurking out there!

George
Old 09-20-2007, 02:23 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Hey George, nice to hear that yours is not long away now. When you say that their expectations were outdone by the results that's interesting as my guess would have been a little in the reverse. However that's good news in general as people's expectations are usually very high when they start modifying their cars and you often see that they're disappointed when their cars with 3" exhausts and chips isn't making 350whp or something silly. Unfortunately but in reality the more hp you want, the more cash you need, and this only increases on and exponential level.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:28 AM
George D
Drifting

SORRY,

Their results were greater than their expectations. My error.

George
Old 09-20-2007, 10:46 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

How come you never see any S2/968 guys running twin cam gears? Wouldn't it be easier to run twin gears and not have to worry about the tensioner? I realize there wouldn't be any HP/TQ gains, but for piece of mind, I would like to not worry about the tensioner failing.

Also, what belt are you guys running for twin gears? Using a second exhaust cam for the intake, correct?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
How come you never see any S2/968 guys running twin cam gears? Wouldn't it be easier to run twin gears and not have to worry about the tensioner? I realize there wouldn't be any HP/TQ gains, but for piece of mind, I would like to not worry about the tensioner failing.
Also, what belt are you guys running for twin gears? Using a second exhaust cam for the intake, correct?
Actually there are hp/tq gains because you can tune the intake to exhaust timing – less overlap is better for a turbo engine.
The challenge is that you have to come up with special cam and crank gears. The stock cam gear is too large a diameter to have two of them side by side. If you change the cam gear diameter you have to change the crank gear to keep the same drive ratios.
The other challenge is that the second cam gear will hit the hood if you leave everything else stock. Also – no belt covers unless you want to fabricate some.
Even with all that - in my opinion, if you to put together the best set up then that is the way to go.

Quick Reply: 3.? Liter 16 Valve Turbo Thread