my 968 conversion project. **new updated pics**

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 03:15 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Duke
how does it compare to your old 3" with the Flowmaster?
Same db level but darker?
no its actually quieter and more monotone. It sounds really nice at idle and WOT.

Yesterday 09:43 AM
tconn
The reason I ask is it looks like the rear ride height
is a little elevated.

Thats because it is some. the 968 rear squats and pulls the body lines upwards. Its just the design. It exposes more view of the tires as well.

Yesterday 01:51 PM
Peckster Sorry to be so crass, but how much is this costing you?

Check a few pages back for a full break down on price/parts/ and labor.

Yesterday 02:18 PM
lart951 John, I am full of envy the 968 azz looks awesome, happy new year to you my friend.

Happy new year to you too lart.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:57 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, the car looks awsome. I am about ready to do a full paint job and some customizing myself. Did you use a local shop in the area? if so do you mind saying who? it looks like they did a first class job and I am going no cost spared in this paint job.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:44 PM
944J
Banned

I might have missed it, but what was actually done to the structural part of the bumper? is it removed, replaced with 968 parts? or? its a long post so you could paste the actual page that its on
Old 01-01-2006, 11:49 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Damn dude. Try post number 1.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:57 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by ehall
Damn dude. Try post number 1.
ok, dude, I read the first post like totally and it doesnt mention the structural part of the bumper at all.

I was bummed out since I'd totally like to find the reference to the hard part of the bumper that like totally saves your *** from dying in a wreck not just the shiny awesome shell.

hang loose and if you surf by the part of the post that talks about the structural part of the bumper and the bumper shocks then I'd appreciate you dropping me a line dude.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:11 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 35thSLP
John, the car looks awsome. I am about ready to do a full paint job and some customizing myself. Did you use a local shop in the area? if so do you mind saying who? it looks like they did a first class job and I am going no cost spared in this paint job.

yes a friend of my fathers owns a center here(actually he has two) and yes they did a fantastic job on the car. This was a friend of a friend type of thing so I dont thing they will be doing this again. Infact bruce(the owner) had to contract someone in to do this job because his original body guy took one look and said hell no! lol.

944J There is alot of cutting and fabrication that needs to be done. My best advice is to read the thread thats what its here for and look at pics. If you have a specfic question regarding one cut here or one part there I will do my best to answer them

This thread is to help people who are thinking about doing this conversion and have no previous documentation or any idea for that matter on how involved it is or what it costs. I know it was hard for me to get a idea about this myself cause I went through it.....and I did a TON of serching and all I found was some completed pics of various cars. So I had to pretty much rely on wyatt(the man pretty much) and what his years of expeirence taught him. We got the bumper in and he test fitted it looked at the small amount of finished product pics I had taken and printed from the internet and went from there.

I tried to communicate with him as best I could and take as many pics as possible throughout this process to help others needing assistance.

A expeirence body man(he needs to really know his stuff) should be able to read this thread and look at the pics and know how wyatt did it and what steps he needs to take to complete his project and have it look factory as well.

I cant say enough how pleased I am with this project and how well it turned out. Even though I blew through alot of my turbo kit money to get this done it was important that it get done right. And when a 30 year body vertern tells you its going to be atleast 100hrs of labor and this is what he charges you listen. I wanted it done right and he assured me he could get the job done.

To anyone who is thinking of doing this please dont take your car down to some local body shop and ask them about this conversion. You will honestly need a pro. Someone who has a reputation in this field and has alot of expeirence doing custom body work. Like I said the local body guy who does all sorts of work for bruce's shop said he couldnt do it and make it right. This guy wyatt was just someone bruce had known over the years who has done various other custom jobs for him(like his choppers and his jag)

This is a very expensive procedure unless you yourself are the pro and you are doing all the work in house. For that reason alone thats prolly why so few of these conversions have been done. Its just alot of work and lets be honest the market value for our cars doesnt support a 7k body bill. hell I bought my whole car for 7200.00 and my bill here total was 8355.00.

So anyways im glad everyone pretty much feels like I do and they love it. I have been driving the car around all weekend and people just stop and stare. I had the guy at the local car wash place come up to me and ask me what the new turbo porsche's are going for these days!!

I just laughed and said nah its a 88 model. He said wtf! No way man. It looks brand new. Anyways needless to say the car gets alot of attention going down the road. I think its the combination of the huge polished exhaust system that sticks out and looks mean with the bumper. People just dont know what to think. I have been getting alot off waives and thumbs up from random people and this car NEVER got that kind of attention before.

Anyways glad you guys like it too. I will be taking more pics tomorrow for you and video. I want some clean day time shots for dave(he said he wanted my car for their customer car list)

Take care guys. Watch the thread tomorrow for video!
Old 01-02-2006, 12:13 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 944J
I was bummed out since I'd totally like to find the reference to the hard part of the bumper that like totally saves your *** from dying in a wreck not just the shiny awesome shell.
There is a factory rebar that was installed behind the bumper itself and that was inturn welded to custom brackets wyatt fabricated with inturn was welded to seams he created along the lines of the 944 bumper
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
they start today

ELLSSUU John,

Nice project. Was he able to fit the 968 bumper shocks into your car?

No but, they will. We have the re-bar and everything. He will be fabbing up some custom brackets that will go on the side of the hatch to help support the seam and will re inforce structure ridigity
since scrolling down to whopping post 16 was SOOO hard for you maybe this will help. I know it's a lot of work scrolling.....
Turbo944T
Advanced

Congrats Big J! Nice job. I am in the process of shaving the rear lock and bunper strip, should make it as clean as possible without going 968
Old 01-02-2006, 12:16 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Are you not concerned about getting damage to the rear without the strips? We get a lot of small bs hits here in the states, that's why I'm asking.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:18 AM
Turbo944T
Advanced

Good question Mr Ehall. I have the toe hook installed in the rear and front
Old 01-02-2006, 12:18 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ehall
Are you not concerned about getting damage to the rear without the strips? We get a lot of small bs hits here in the states, that's why I'm asking.
are you asking me?? what strips are you referring too?

edit nevermind figured out you were talking to someone else
Old 01-02-2006, 12:21 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

test if your reading this Can you make me a new sig using some of the finished painted bumper pics in this thread.

If day time shots will be better I will be posting up more of those tomorrow. Anyways if you could make me a new sig that would be great!
Old 01-02-2006, 12:21 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

John, my guess is ehall is refering to the two black bumperettes on the stock rear bumper.

Car looks great, hope to get a white 951 myself sometime in the next year or so. What color is your interior, maroon or black? Ideally id need to get the black..ill be honest to say i dont think i can live with the maroon!
Old 01-02-2006, 12:22 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

John, this is your **** speaking! These old beat up sport seats are killlling me! Sell them to ehall already Dammit!

BTW I resemble the remarks that shall certainly follow!

Quick Reply: my 968 conversion project. **new updated pics**