Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

vitesse CA legal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 01:24 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill
As requested, here is my stealth MAF setup.
Thanks for the shots, any of the inside of the air box and with the air box unit completely removed?
Old 11-09-2005, 01:29 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill - absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Yours is THE gold standard.

PS - where do you guys find the various sizes of rubber hose, especially the big 2" & 3" sizes? Thanks.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

mtnman82,

Lindsey Racing. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:40 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Bill, nice tinkering!

1) What did you use to replace the "jboot"?
2) Is the adapter from the MAF to the box an off the sheft piece?
and maybe a lead where to get them....
3) Does the stock snorkle limit the MAF's cfm?

Kevin
Old 11-09-2005, 03:44 PM
Trucho-951
Pro

Bill - great craftmanship. A steath kit sure would be nice..
Old 11-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

1) What did you use to replace the "jboot"?
I custom fabricated the black J (actually kind of an S) pipe (boot as you call it) in my garage/shop. It is the one that you see in the second picture below the snorkel.

2) Is the adapter from the MAF to the box an off the shelf piece?
and maybe a lead where to get them....
Again a custom fabricated piece. This one I bought from Danno at Guru Racing, but I could make one if needed. It is the simplest of the pieces required to make a complete installation.

3) Does the stock snorkle limit the MAF's cfm?
I would say, in my application, yes. This is why I plan on fabricating a larger one fo myself in the future. I anticipate this piece to be the most dificult to fabricate. It transitions from a rectangle at the airbox to a round at the fender opening. All in one smooth piece. But hey...like I said, I like to tinker.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:57 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...forgot one, what dia. is your maf?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:34 PM
turbinek
Instructor

Cas951 solution looks like the german solution from Transaxle Tom.
Bill's solution looks nice but won't survive a cross check (2 cars hood open) besides there's no where a Bosch part no and most defenitly the screw for CO matching.
Vitesse shurely has good solutions but for race purposes only - put your car on a hanger and drive to Laguna Seca and enjoi..
Old 12-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

besides there's no where a Bosch part no
turbinek,

Wrongamundo! A Bosch part no can be found on my setup. In fact the factory correct part no. And thats all I am going to say about that.

Cross check....I have not heard of a cross check in California, but that car must not have the same options that my car came with. With 20 some million cars in California, the state would have to own an awful lot of cross check cars and a parking lot to warehouse them. Doesn't sound like a frugel use of taxpayers funds.

Just curious, why is one from Switzerland concerned about California smog?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:39 PM
turbinek
Instructor

Bill please get that the rigth way: It looks really nice and clean.
By cross check I ment that it migth happen either the person which does the check knows those cars (so he is looking for the afm) or there might be another 951 just before you.
Since our cars are going to be young timers maybe the chance to get "caugth" is very little - but it is there.
I don't care about US smog tests but it is interesting people in the U.S. looking for stealth..
Old 12-14-2005, 08:57 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

turbinek,

It was a little bold of you to make a statement on a setup that you have only seen in a very small picture. However no wrong way taken, just commenting. Thanks for the compliment.

it is interesting people in the U.S. looking for stealth
In the U.S. common sence does not always apply. My car passes the emmissions test, in fact well below the legal limits. Common sence would say, we are done here. But because there is a MAF (newer/better technology) instead of a AFM, it fails the visual. A law for clean air is a good thing. But when a person is penalized for making their vehicle exceed the requirements, that just does not make sence. Hence stealth.

In the U.S. special interest groups have a way of using a good idea to vail their wants. You could say that perhaps a manufacturer would not want independent suppliers to offer parts for their vehicles. They would prefer that only they could offer those parts and keep control of the ensuing proffit. Or not allow improvements so one would have to buy the new improved model. How would they achieve this end...........How about attaching to a clean air law the requirement that the car must pass a visual test of approved OE products. Now the voting population sees "clean air" and that is good, so they vote in favor. Since most could care less about mechanicals, the added language means nothing to them. End result, some cleaver special interest is a happy camper and those in the know are forced underground. Products for off road use only. Expiring time limitations to the requirement. Special approval process. Stealth. It's a never ending game.

Last edited by Bill; 12-14-2005 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:29 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Bill, I love it!! Not sure why some people are giving you grief.
I love to idea and plan to do something similar for my car. I spoke to John about it as well. I want to be able to use the factory 968 turbo S NACA duct which mates to the snorkel and feeds it cold air. It is supposed to be functional and I don't want to go back to AFM just to make this work.
Bill, would you consider building these?
Raj
Old 12-14-2005, 09:35 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Raj,

It can be done..... "For Offroad Use Only".

Would I consider doing it?.......perhaps if you brought your car over. Since we live on opposite ends of the continent, I dont see that happening. What I did would apply to many 951's, but I have no access to a 968 TS clone for custom fabrication. I have followed your posts with pictures, and really like what you have done. First class work.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:55 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Bill, thank you!
You have to think of it as a 951 in a 968 body and 20% more displacement . The distances are almost the same between the parts and a lot of the parts are interchangeable. If you can get me 90% there, I can handle the last 10%.
Take care.
Raj
Old 12-14-2005, 11:08 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Bill,

I am also interested in your setup. The only reason I have not converted is this visual inspection we have to go thru in Ca. I have seen your car in person and I must say it is A+ quality.

Quick Reply: vitesse CA legal?