Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

vitesse CA legal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 04:41 AM
jasoncoker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

I just thought I would chime in here. I live in L.A. too, and actually HAVE had a cop ask me to pop my hood and then proceed to snoop around. This occurred in my vr6 Corrado and the motor had a foam filter, red Schrick Manifold, exhaust, euro TB--you name it. Did not even look remotely stock. Cop looked around and asked me if it was stock, and I said "Yes, of course, ocifer, ocerfader, uh copper." Haha, I actually pointed out the air filter cone b/c it had a CARB number. What a jerk . . .

Sincerely,
j
Old 11-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Ryan in SD
Instructor

Originally Posted by fast951
You mean the police stops you to check under the hood? Where do you live again?

No such thing as "Vitesse Cop Repellant Spray".. However using deodorant might help
I live in southern cali, the biggest reason for all this anti-moded cars thing is because of all the ricers who get people killed. It gives cops a reason to screw you out of your car/mods.

Oppresive I say! These cars are apart of who we are....its a life style. We should even get city funding to continue our culture/way of life bah who am I kidding?
Old 11-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Wow! I can't believe we now have road side sniffers. How sad. Another good use of my tax payer dollars.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:03 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bill
Currently I have 3" from the turbo to the stock air box. I run 21 psi this way with 333 rwhp. I am sure I will get more by enlarging the snorkel. I plan to change the snorkel from the stock 2" to 3". I am having a mechanical engineer look into what rectangle size (at the airbox) is required to match a 3" round. The port in the fender will accomodate a 3" pipe with only modification to the gasket. Yes cool air is better, but again my goal is to keep the stock appearance.

So post up some picts of that bad boy!
Old 11-08-2005, 01:01 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill, stop what you are doing and throw a quick detail on the engine bay and post some pics. I think mounting a MAF to a stock air box with a large enough snorkel to the fender well is an awesome idea.

Stock appearance is retained and cooler charge air are corrected in one shot, brilliant!!!

With the MAF's ability to pass a smog dyno test it's just the visual that killls the package, sounds like there would a huge market in smog sensitive states.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

testarossa,

ok, I will take pictures tonight and post tomorrow. But if you know how a stock airbox looks, you know how my setup looks. That was my goal. I guess I could take it apart and show the componates.

ibkevin,

No chance to detail my engine compartment, I have the fuel rail taken apart. I am modifing it to accept AN fittings and Earl's teflon fuel lines. It is similar to what Lindsey Racing did to eliminate the fire issue, but again my setup will look more stock. The Lindsey setup looks too "bling" and attracts attention from the smog *****.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:13 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bill
testarossa,

ok, I will take pictures tonight and post tomorrow. But if you know how a stock airbox looks, you know how my setup looks. That was my goal. I guess I could take it apart and show the componates.
Thanks, as many pictures as you can muster....I am a picture *****!
Old 11-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Oohh...good idea bill. Can you post pics and part numbers on that fuel rail when you're done. I noticed that they now have black/grey AN fittings for less bling effect.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A lot of it has to do with who you get for a smog tech. at the local test only station. When I had my GMC truck a few years ago, this dude went over it top to bottom and gave me a world of hell over a pair of Dynomax ceramic headers I had installed. I told him they were CARB exempt - he didn't believe it. He was going to fail me on the visual until I INSISTED he put it on the lift and got under there and pointed to the CARB exemption # stamped on the headers. Even then, he was an *** about it, but I (fortunately) did pass the visual.

This was the most run-of-the-mill looking place I could possibly find too. Absolutely nothing special about it or that would lead me to believe they'd been in any sort of trouble with the state in the past or anything. I think a lot depends on who you get, whether they've been audited or in any trouble with the state, and how much they want to bust your *****.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:49 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

I've been ineterested in this for sometime. This is a kit that was offered to me once but I never saw the product in person. Note the bottom of the airbox going to the turbo. I also saw Bill's setup. His really looks nice and one cannot tell it was modified.

Old 11-08-2005, 02:15 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's about what I had envisioned...
Old 11-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

As requested, here is my stealth MAF setup. I can proudly say, it has a tad more quality than the setup in cas951's picture. 3" from the turbo through the air box. The snorkel is stock. Upsizing the snorkel is on my list of upcoming projects. While I detest rice, the yellow turbo script is to further distract the eye. All hose connections are black, which suprizingly were dificult to find. Most suppliers stock blue or red, definately not stealth.

This picture shows the custom 3" J pipe I made. This is where all the work is, it took many many hours to fabricate. Mock up, fitting, welding, Mock up, cut welds, refit, reweld. You can see how tight it is in there. This steel pipe replaces the rubber J boot since the rubber boot at the turbo end is only 2". There is a flex connection at the turbo, the maf and the airbox.

Last edited by Bill; 11-09-2005 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:06 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

And here is a picture of my fuel rail mods. Stock FPR removed. AN fittings added. Relocated AFPR. The fuel lines are Earls teflon and ss braid. The teflon lines are a must to stand up to race fuel or toluene. I covered them with black shrink tube and black braid to hide the ss and make them more stealth. Work in progress, not complete yet.

Another angle.

Last edited by Bill; 11-09-2005 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:22 PM
Trucho-951
Pro

"A simple solution:
- Order the Vitesse software with an additional image to support your injectors/FPR and AFM.
- Install the AFM for testing, fllip a switch on the VR chip/board to select the proper image (you keep the FPR and injectors as with the MAF).
- Once inspected, put the MAF back on, flip the switch to select the MAF image..

All of this will take a 1-2hrs which is acceptable to spend once year."

Wow, John, this is great. I live in CA and have been swapping engines in my Vette every two years. I'm running out of patience now, but, a 2 hr. job for the 951 will be no sweat. Ok, now I know what I'll be saving for this x-mas.. he. he. he..
Old 11-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

All of this will take a 1-2hrs which is acceptable to spend once year."
As always there are many ways to skin a cat.

In CA the smog inspection is bi-anual or every two years. I choose to do what I did because 1) I like to tinker, 2) I do not want to change my setup every time I need an inspection, 3) If you get a "Sir, please open the hood" inspection.

Wow Trucho-951, you are an animal. Complete engine change, kudo's. Thats what I call dedication to HP.

Last edited by Bill; 11-09-2005 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply: vitesse CA legal?