Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

vitesse CA legal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 08:03 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You people in CA need to elect some new officials and start DEMANDING that these monies go into your budget elsewhere. And the next time some bit A$$ movies star, etc, wants to bitch about the gas and conservation, let them show up at the awards on their bike.

Why should they care if your car is modded to the whatever as long as it passes, I just don't get it.

Last edited by Ski; 12-15-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Ski,

Battling these issues is like fighting a 400lb gorilla. SEMA has been the best champion for the car enthusiasts, but even with all their clout it is an up hill battle. I am just one vote.

You have to think of it as a 951 in a 968 body and 20% more displacement .
Raj, send me an e-mail. Lets see what we can do.
Cas 951, I will call you.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:36 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

I've seen Bill's motor, at least before the FPR mod. It looks damn stock -- I know the appearance of these motors very well and you really have to do a double-take (triple-take) to see the magic. If I could get Bill to part with one of those very rare Bosch parts, I'd do it in a second.

Originally Posted by Bill
turbinek,

Wrongamundo! A Bosch part no can be found on my setup. In fact the factory correct part no. And thats all I am going to say about that.

Cross check....I have not heard of a cross check in California, but that car must not have the same options that my car came with. With 20 some million cars in California, the state would have to own an awful lot of cross check cars and a parking lot to warehouse them. Doesn't sound like a frugel use of taxpayers funds.

Just curious, why is one from Switzerland concerned about California smog?
Old 12-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bill - that work is awesome. I've often wondered if there was a way to develop a "better" J-boot and that fits the bill perfectly. I don't have any welding skills to speak of, but that's an excuse to learn.

I've often thought the BEST solution would be simply to run a pipe to MAF directly off the front of a (large) turbo. No bends or twists for the air to make - just straight shot through the maf and into the spinner. The MAF could then in turn be fed directly by a gently-curving pipe to the stock hole in the fender. No way in hell to make that look stock though so with the CA smog ***** as a factor in the equation, yours is probably the best possible solution. I might still pursue my idea. . . "for off-road use only"
Old 12-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom,

Are you still using the AFM?

I am not sure what people are interested in here. A plug and play setup from the turbo through the fender. Or pieces.

If it was just the pipe from the turbo to an existing Maf, then a pipe to an existing airbox, then a pipe (snorkel, which I have not prototyped yet) from the air box to the fender. But this last senario would require some fab from the owner.

If I did a run of just pieces, the problem would be that everyone does not have the same MAF as I do, so the physical dimensions may differ. I suppose I could make the pipes long, requiring each person to use a hacksaw. Or I could make the pipes short then take up the slack in the hose couplers. There is some stress here, because things are so tight in this location.

Feedback?
Old 12-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

just straight shot through the maf and into the spinner
Porsche-O-Phile,

Not sure that senario will work. You have lots of "stuff" living very closely in that area. The pop off valve lives in between the spinner and the maf. You have the wiring harnes length to contend with at the maf connection. There is a vac/pressure port. You have go over the alternator, under the intercooler pipes, next to the coolant tank. I believe I only had around 6" of piping to snake this all together (90 degree turn with 3+ inches of elevation change). I am getting a headache thinking about it again. But then again, if you like to tinker it is a fun project.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

very rare Bosch parts,
If you look in the rear hatch area above the spare tire, you will find the options label. If your car has this rare option, you will find code zero zero seven (007) on this label.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Porsche-O-Phile,

Not sure that senario will work. You have lots of "stuff" living very closely in that area. The pop off valve lives in between the spinner and the maf. You have the wiring harnes length to contend with at the maf connection. There is a vac/pressure port. You have go over the alternator, under the intercooler pipes, next to the coolant tank. I believe I only had around 6" of piping to snake this all together (90 degree turn with 3+ inches of elevation change). I am getting a headache thinking about it again. But then again, if you like to tinker it is a fun project.
I suspect you'd have MAF signal problems putting the MAF in a straight shot that close to the turbo. Speedforceracing's site has a little write-up about the need for keeping the MAF away from the turbo -- otherwise the flow is disrupted through the MAF and it sends out wacky signals when returning to idle after boosting -- causing the motor to stumble or stall. Ask me how I know. Clocking the MAF can help some, but I think you'd be asking for trouble if you put the MAF right outside the turbo inlet.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:19 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I know in my case I want to retain the airbox and use the NACA duct to divert cold air into it. I would be interested in a J boot replacement that allows me to either use my 3 inch reducer (sorry but the GT30 has a 4 inch inlet!) or a my 2.75 inch reducer (had one custom made) and then connects to the MAF which then terminates into the airbox. Phew! Long sentence there.
I have a factory 968 turbo S J boot which uses a side port for the divertor valve but I need a metal piece to join the 2 sides together.
Normally this is the kind of stuff I like to do during the winter months but this year I have decided to cleanup the engine compartment and change each and every nut/bolt on the car.
Bill, I will pm you.
Raj
Old 12-15-2005, 04:24 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Tom,

Are you still using the AFM?

I am not sure what people are interested in here. A plug and play setup from the turbo through the fender. Or pieces.

If it was just the pipe from the turbo to an existing Maf, then a pipe to an existing airbox, then a pipe (snorkel, which I have not prototyped yet) from the air box to the fender. But this last senario would require some fab from the owner.

If I did a run of just pieces, the problem would be that everyone does not have the same MAF as I do, so the physical dimensions may differ. I suppose I could make the pipes long, requiring each person to use a hacksaw. Or I could make the pipes short then take up the slack in the hose couplers. There is some stress here, because things are so tight in this location.

Feedback?
Yes, I run the AFM -- once every two years at least. For off-road use, my car has a now vintage HR set up -- turbo, injectors, MAF, ARC2, test pipe, Profec, etc. Best run to date was 345rwhp, but am not battling with head sealing issues and am about to assemble a 3 liter.

The piece I most envy on your car is the J boot. I'm sure you'd have plenty of takers. I'd be happy to trim to fit.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:27 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
I know in my case I want to retain the airbox and use the NACA duct to divert cold air into it. I would be interested in a J boot replacement that allows me to either use my 3 inch reducer (sorry but the GT30 has a 4 inch inlet!) or a my 2.75 inch reducer (had one custom made) and then connects to the MAF which then terminates into the airbox. Phew! Long sentence there.
I have a factory 968 turbo S J boot which uses a side port for the divertor valve but I need a metal piece to join the 2 sides together.
Normally this is the kind of stuff I like to do during the winter months but this year I have decided to cleanup the engine compartment and change each and every nut/bolt on the car.
Bill, I will pm you.
Raj
What is the inlet size on the 968 turbo S J-boot, and where the h%& did you get it?
Old 12-15-2005, 06:44 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Raj,

So you are looking for just the "J" section. 3" at the AFM to 4" at the turbo. Hmmm.....sounds fun. It could be fabbed, but without the car some fine tuning might be needed.

Tom,

What would your "J" section be....3" at the MAF to 3" at the turbo? And you have a section already from the MAF to the airbox?
Old 12-15-2005, 07:39 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill, it's good to see you're considering this. I would be interested in the air box flange, the MAF to jboot adapter, and I aint scared of a little hacksawing. My MAF diameter is 3" and I use a stock BOV. Only catch is my new K27 has a 2.75" inlet
Old 12-15-2005, 10:13 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you think adding some sort of a filtration element or similar device between the MAF and turbo would help to smooth out the variations and resulting erroneous signals?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:00 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
What is the inlet size on the 968 turbo S J-boot, and where the h%& did you get it?
Porsche Motorsports. I bought a bunch of stuff from them. A short list..
968 turbo S transmission (brand new)
2 968 turbo S torque tubes
1 complete 968 turbo S clutch setup
3 968 turbo S bumper covers
3 968 turbo S spoilers
Almost 20 total 968 turbo S splitters over time
Pair of 968 turbo S J boots
Pair of 968 turbo S intercooler pipes
968 turbo RS head gasket
I am sure I am forgetting a few items .
Raj

Quick Reply: vitesse CA legal?