Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

vitesse CA legal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 04:00 AM
Ryan in SD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vitesse CA legal?

Are any of the parts CA certified? Has anyone passed a visual inspection with stage # kits?
Old 11-07-2005, 10:42 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Read the legal document on the web site. Most if not all of the products are for off-road or racing purposes. Never any claim regarding emission certification..

The kits are designed to run clean and many customers passed smog tests. Check your area for legality of the parts.. Again, the kits are for off-road or race use only!
Old 11-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

As far as the visual goes, keep in mind that the smog book states that "an electrostatic airbox is not required" for the 944 Turbo. I've passed with a K&N filter and my Guru MAP kit, but it's a bit more stealthy than a MAF setup. I think you would be able to easily pass a visual by using the MAF and routing it through the stock airbox. There's even one Rennlister on here that made his own stickers to make it look like a factory part. :-)
Old 11-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

A typical MAF with cone filter will not pass visual, unless you get lucky or unless you work to make it look fairly stock. As long as the car stays in closed loop during the test (all light load), the actual emmissions should not be a problem.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Vitesse....how about developing a "stealth kit" that plugs your MAF into the stock airbox to draw as little attention as possible.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Tb311
Racer

well ijust took mine to get smoged and i passed the visual, the guy was pretty cool about it. the thing is is thats the only thing i passed
Old 11-07-2005, 01:10 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike S
Vitesse....how about developing a "stealth kit" that plugs your MAF into the stock airbox to draw as little attention as possible.
John can do just about anything, but he would have his work cut out for him to try to mate a MAF to the stock airbox.
Its the proverbial round peg in a square hole
Old 11-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Not really. Guru did the same thing with a 3" pipe to stock airbox intake. You have to bore out the stock airbox hole a bit, but I've seen it done with a MAP kit and a local guy (Bill) who did it with a MAF. Essentially, you would just turn the bend in the pipe the other way and use an adapter to mate to the airbox.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:05 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sorry no plans to adapt the MAF to the stock air box.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

a local guy (Bill) who did it with a MAF
Yes I did. Looks absoulutely stock. Was a major pain in the butt to do. I suppose if there was interest, I could use my setup as a prototype to have them manufactured. I do not know how well it would translate between all the different products/setups out there. I use a speedforce maf with a T04E turbo that sits on a lowered turbo mount with a Forge blow off valve and it just fits. There are a lot of variables when it comes down to physical size of different turbos, mounts, maf's, blow off valves, etc. The space between the turbo and the air box is quite crowded. Hose connections do allow for a small amount of play but not much. If there was interest, I suppose I could provide the base kit and then final fitment would be by the end user.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

A typical MAF with cone filter will not pass visual, unless you get lucky
This is the problem. While it is true that a cone filter is "letter of the law" ok, as soon as a smog **** sees, it they look deeper. That is when things like MAF, AFPR, Etc, get found and questioned. Then you get put into smog jail.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:10 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a couple of pics, this is an excellent idea!

Did you use the stock snorkel into the fender well? Can the stock snorkel handle the CFM of a MAF? It gets around sucking hot engine bay air.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just pass your smog with the stock stuff, then install your fun bits. You'll be good for two years.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Ryan in SD
Instructor

Thanks for the input. When I do mod my car I will probably wind up making it "stealth" or somthing. I was kinda hoping it would be CA legal but that was me being highly optimistic.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:22 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A simple solution:
- Order the Vitesse software with an additional image to support your injectors/FPR and AFM.
- Install the AFM for testing, fllip a switch on the VR chip/board to select the proper image (you keep the FPR and injectors as with the MAF).
- Once inspected, put the MAF back on, flip the switch to select the MAF image..

All of this will take a 1-2hrs which is acceptable to spend once year.

Quick Reply: vitesse CA legal?