Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Ryan in SD
Instructor

Originally Posted by fast951
A simple solution:
- Order the Vitesse software with an additional image to support your injectors/FPR and AFM.
- Install the AFM for testing, fllip a switch on the VR chip/board to select the proper image (you keep the FPR and injectors as with the MAF).
- Once inspected, put the MAF back on, flip the switch to select the MAF image..

All of this will take a 1-2hrs which is acceptable to spend once year.
That defenitly solves the smog problem. Now what do you suggest when Mr. po-po police man pops the hood? Maybe I should buy the "vitesse cop repellant spray" (with quick dispersal).

I will figure something out, thanks again for the input peoples. You might be seeing a lot of nooby questions coming from me in the future, as for now, I must fill up the piggy bank.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:04 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan in SD
That defenitly solves the smog problem. Now what do you suggest when Mr. po-po police man pops the hood? Maybe I should buy the "vitesse cop repellant spray" (with quick dispersal).

You mean the police stops you to check under the hood? Where do you live again?

No such thing as "Vitesse Cop Repellant Spray".. However using deodorant might help
Old 11-07-2005, 07:05 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

unless you are driving 60mph in a school zone or something equally as foolish, I don't think mr policeman is going to be popping your hood. even if he does, unless you have a lot of chrome bling, its not likely he's going to know what a stock 951 looks like. If he does pop your hood, you are certainly welcome to take the opportunity and start bragging
Old 11-07-2005, 07:07 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Needs probable cause or permission for that, doesn't he??????
Old 11-07-2005, 07:08 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Man, am I glad I dont live in CA.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:28 PM
IanS
Instructor

I've never actually heard of the police popping the hood. However, having that Vitesse MAF kit powdercoated black would make it look a lot more stock.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you use the stock snorkel into the fender well? Can the stock snorkel handle the CFM of a MAF? It gets around sucking hot engine bay air.
Currently I have 3" from the turbo to the stock air box. I run 21 psi this way with 333 rwhp. I am sure I will get more by enlarging the snorkel. I plan to change the snorkel from the stock 2" to 3". I am having a mechanical engineer look into what rectangle size (at the airbox) is required to match a 3" round. The port in the fender will accomodate a 3" pipe with only modification to the gasket. Yes cool air is better, but again my goal is to keep the stock appearance.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

CA has the following wonderful policies:

- You can be "spot-checked" on any public road or highway for smog compliance with CHP's "mobile dyno" (a trailer with a smog dyno built in - they can check you right then and there).

- Red-light cameras

- Radar/lidar (and frequent use of aerial pacing for speed enforcement).

- Bi-annual smog checks - with ANY non-CARB (CA Air Resources Board) approved piece of equipment on your car, it's an automatic fail. This goes for air filters, fuel regulators, etc. If it doesn't have a CARB #, it's a fail. And yes, they have a database of what the engines are "supposed" to look like.

- There's a test program underway right now for computerized roadside "sniffers" checking for vehicles that might be non-emissions compliant. The idea for the future is that sensors would give cops (down the road or on patrol) a warning that there might be non-compliant vehicles on a particular stretch of road. They could then investigate further.

- If you're stopped the cops most certainly CAN require you to open your hood. If you refuse, your car gets impounded and you get fined. If you do, and they find any illegal mods, your car gets impounded and you also (naturally) get fined.

- Etc. etc. etc. Normally I'm a big fan of clean air, but this is a tad ridiculous, especially considering that the state has some of the crappiest gas available in the nation (91 max, and a poor blend at that). You'd think that a state so obsessed with air quality would require BETTER gas and crack down on the "exempt" diesel busses and trucks, which spew an awful lot of carcinogenic soot into the air, particularly in the cities. C'est la vie I guess.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:16 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

John's suggestion of the additional image is exactly what I plan on doing - one image for stock AFM setup and one for the MAF. In fact, I'm planing on taking things one step at a time, so I'm probably going to get set up with 4 images - one for AFM & existing (K27) turbo, one for MAF & existing turbo, one for AFM & Vitesse turbo, and one for MAF & Vitesse turbo. In the end I'll only 'need' 2 images, but I'll be covered along the way.

Sounds like if everything is in proper working order, the Vitesse kit should pass CA smog measurements - it's just the inspection we have to worry about? I'm wondering if anyone has measurement results they can post??

Do I understand Mike S's earlier post, in that the CA smog rules state that the 944 DOES NOT have to run with a AFM (electrostatic airbox) to be smog legal? If this is the case, couldn't we get a copy (or at least get the page #, so we can refer the smog tech) and be good to go with the MAF setup? Mike S - do you have a link or something you could post for us?

And, if the smog book does require an electrostatic airbox, wouldn't EITHER an AFM or MAF qualify?? Please let me know - I'm confused.

Even if not, swapping out the MAF/AFM wouldn't be that bad every 2 years (especially compared to the work required to do the same on the Datsun's I've hot-rodded in the past - and I'd bet some of you have done similar).

I'll be placing a Vitesse order fairly soon, and hope to at least have John's 'i.c.' (board) plugged in, w/72# injectors, very shortly after my front end re-seal, so I'm very interested in this too. I'll see if I can talk a friend of mine into runnning a smog pre-check for me at that time, which I will post. Hopefully somebody can post something before then (even if from outside CA - I hear the smog ****'s are almost as bad in TX?).

BTW - in my 25+ years of driving here in CA, I have yet to see or hear of anyone having a cop ask to lift the hood. Even bone head friends getting pulled over for exhibition of speed didn't get asked to lift the hood. The only things I'm personally worried about is passing the visual and the measurements. After that, it's all fun!!!

EDIT: Jeff answered some of my questions in his post above. Bottom line to me is: if it passes smog, why does it matter how it's does so? Claen is clean is clean, isn't it?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

LOL! There's some funny stuff in this thread. OK...i live in Cali and at times we do have stupid laws, but I have never seen a rolling dyno chassis that is owned by the police (love to see pics though). I also have never seen anyone ask to open the hood and I own a 77 GMC pickup that gets way too much attention at idle (lopes badly).

That being said, if you go to a smog station and ask for a pre-check you'll notice that at the top of the page the requirements are listed (PASS or FAIL). These are the visuals. One of these is for "Electrostatic Airbox" which is listed as "NA". You can also find this in the actual smog book, but the referee station I went to didn't have a recent copy so it just pritned out electronically. I did have to tell the guy that an airbox was not required and he looked it up and agree'd (this was at a test only station).

My setup is a MAP intake which simply looks like an intake pipe with a large air filter at the end. The advantage to MAP (and the only one that I can think of) is that you don't have a MAF sensor sticking out next to the air filter. Since it's just a straight pipe, the smog techs figure its stock with a cold air intake like the newer cars.

You can see pics of my setup in this thread (this is exactly what I passed smog with).

Engine Bay
Old 11-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have driven by an "Infrared Camera" smog trap. It was set up at the end of an on ramp where it merged with HWY 101. Just at the point where you are at full throttle getting up to freeway speed. When I noticed it, I just put in the clutch and coasted. That nasty ol camera only saw clean air from my car! I guess its one method CA has to spend all of our taxes that it collects. They sure dont give it to teachers.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:40 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill, was that where the 152(?) thru Gilroy merges onto the 101? Was this recently? I have relatives in Santa Theresa and go through there every now and again, so that's why I'm wondering. Thanks!!

PS - did they actually have a car there to chase people down?
Old 11-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage....y-Sep_2001.htm
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...138EDT0169.DTL
http://www.arb.ca.gov/research/resnotes/notes/94-20.htm
http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-249.html

Still in denial?

If it involves the state getting more money and control over the populace through motor vehicles, it's either here already, being implemented, or being discussed for implementation.

Last edited by Porsche-O-Phile; 11-08-2005 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:49 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

I have taken my 86 in twice to a smog only shop, never changed chips, left the CAI on, high flo cat, Accuboost, Evo diverter valve...not once has the tech asked for Carb# or asked a single wuestion about a piece of equipment. They put it on the dyno, check idle, timing and do their test. This shop will not fail you, the car will trip the machine, that fails you. I've watched him each time and he tries to find the sweet spot in RPM as he watches the screen as he does each of the 2 mphpowered runs. You guys worry way too much about this stuff, if your car is blowing raw gas at 15 mph I think you have bigger problems than is this K & N going to pass.

Quick Reply: vitesse CA legal?