Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lets talk turbos T61 vs GT30R etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 05:37 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Hosrom, the Lindsey Super 61 is smaller than a T61 so it's even "worse". But Lindsey don't claim the turbo supports 600 hp, they claim the compressor supports 600 hp which is a totally different story. And as can be seen in this thread that is a very misleading claim.

But Lindsey don't refer to their turbo anywhere on their website as a T61 so I don't even know why we're discussing this... They call it the Lindsey Super 61..
Old 09-27-2004, 09:06 PM
lithium
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Duke, i think your right i was talking to some 951 owner about this subject (his car put down 400 some rwhp) and he just kept saying T61, T75 etc so i assumed thats what they call them. I dont know anything about these turbos thats why i am asking. Ok, now let me ask this whats the biggest turbo that can be fitted with minimum modifications? I am looking for maybe 400rwhp at first before i go crazy with vustom stuff. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:28 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
Hosrom, the Lindsey Super 61 is smaller than a T61 so it's even "worse". But Lindsey don't claim the turbo supports 600 hp, they claim the compressor supports 600 hp which is a totally different story. And as can be seen in this thread that is a very misleading claim.

But Lindsey don't refer to their turbo anywhere on their website as a T61 so I don't even know why we're discussing this... They call it the Lindsey Super 61..

Duke: Yes, i read the information on the Lindsey site, and yes i am aware that the power is referring to the compressor.

Sorry about the mix up regarding the LINDSEY SUPER series and the T SERIES (Guess by reading T61, T60 etc the letter T was everwhere i typed ) But i never mentioned anything regarding their power outputs, i only mentioned what the website said regarding their components, didn't even mention theeir CFM, sizes etc.........And yes, again when they mentioned "Capable of supporting 600hp" that is usually thought that the turbo itself makes that power (just like you said, it got mislead somewhere in the thread). But this time, i didn't mention it
Old 09-28-2004, 12:42 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lithium once again turbo's have been talked to death on here. Use the search function and I am willing to bet you will find even more than you could have ever hoped for.

I hope you know to make 400rwhp you are going to need to do alot more than bolt up a new turbo. My suggestion would be go with a hybrid with a KKK turbine so it will bolt up without hassle. Depending on the compressor housing size you might have to do a little work or maybe none at all. The t04e turbo's are great and when fitted with KKK hotside's make a powerful combination. Ask about Vitesse racing. These are the turbo's they use in their kit's. You can find dyno chart's on their website. A to4e with a #8 could support 400rwhp.

You are gonna need 75lb injector's,fuel controller,maf/map,custom chip's,full exhaust system,DP wasteagte,billet bov, and possibly head and intake manifold work if you want to hit 400rwhp on moddest boost level's. If you don't care about boost level's and would be willing to run 20+psi then you could maybe x on the head work.
Either way 400rwhp is alot and you are talking about a serious investment.

May I suggest standalone. Tec3 perhaps. These are great tunning tool's and when properly setup can help the car make even more power. Not to mention any further mods can be done without having to worry about new chip's to burn.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:41 AM
lithium
Intermediate

I searched, not much showed up, no real numbers. Id like to see flow rates as well as compressor maps.

20psi is peanuts, with that sized turbo i dont see why 28 or so would be a problem, with some minor headwork to flow a bit better of course, since i hear those 8v heads are total crap. 55lbs (550cc) will also support 400rwhp without a problem, you dont need 75's. Id like to run a maxed BPU setup for a month or two to get used to the workings of the car untill i go crazy Ahh if only AEM made a EMS for these damn cars, i am not a big fan of Tec2 or 3. Motec or AEM please.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:55 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding the injector sizes, there are several good threads on 'which one to go for'.

Even John here posted on regarding the #75 injectors (?). It would all depend on your WHP numbers, but as price comes into the equation, there will be no difference (in price) between a #75 and #85 (or something like that).

The key is that you don't want to max out those injectors....anyway that is a different topic, a search WILL help you a lot regarding which one's would be suited for your application............

as John also mentioned, getting 400whp would need some work more than just a Turbo........search around
Old 09-28-2004, 04:49 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's 2 recent threads about turbo's and injectors. Very long threads with a lot of technical information.
My suggestion is that you take the time to read those since I believe it will answer many of your questions.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/156050-sfr-in-european-car-mag-project-951-a.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/157951-garrett-gt-series-turbos.html
Old 09-28-2004, 07:34 AM
J Chen
Drifting

28 psi !!!! Hmmm lithium, maybe you can show us a
thing or two. To me the key to a sucessful turbo
conversion is to used the least amount of boost
possible to attain the Hp that you're looking for.
You must be living in the land of rice. Running
that kind of boost will kill long term reliability for
any engine. Unless you're that loaded to afford
a rebuilt every couple of months. If that's the case
maybe you should invest your money on other
vehicles instead of the 951
Old 09-28-2004, 12:09 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Lithium you have to remember you don't know much about the 951 yet. 28psi will some do push that much boost it isint the norm. These aren't supra's. As I said before the 951 isint about peak hp or tq. 400rwhp is a resonable goal that can be reached and with the right combo could last you. But, running 28psi......on a turbo that is effecient in that range....will no doubt kill the reliablity of your engine. The only motor I know of in existance that can take that kind of abuse is the 2jz-GTE maybe you should go find you another.

The 951 will be extremely expensive to maintain and will give you more problems than I think you are ready for my friend.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:05 PM
lithium
Intermediate

I dont know where to continue... If you guys think 28psi with a proper setup/turbo is not happening, ill stop posting all together. Motors i have owned/built 7mgte, 500rwhp 29psi, several 2jz's up to 42psi, witnessed 50psi dyno pulls, rb26dett 38psi, 3s 26psi on just 60-1, 4g63 many runnung up to 32psi. Let me ask you this, how many people actually tried this? How many of you run race gas? How many of you have built motors? I think that most people are happy with 300 some hp and stop, well i am not. If it blows up, **** it it will be built next time. Again, back to turbos.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:09 PM
lithium
Intermediate

Originally Posted by J Chen
28 psi !!!! Hmmm lithium, maybe you can show us a
thing or two. To me the key to a sucessful turbo
conversion is to used the least amount of boost
possible to attain the Hp that you're looking for.
You must be living in the land of rice. Running
that kind of boost will kill long term reliability for
any engine. Unless you're that loaded to afford
a rebuilt every couple of months. If that's the case
maybe you should invest your money on other
vehicles instead of the 951
Ive been running 26psi DAILY with a mix of racegas for the past 2 years, motor was fine, and the car seen 38psi at the track. No rebuilds no problems whatsoever Why would you want to be running the least ammount of boost possible? Your trying to run as much boost possible within your limitations, i suggest you at least pickup "maximum boost" by corky bell, its like turbos 101, good book.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:20 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

lol....lith you won't get those boost pressure's on a 951 without having some serious issues. I think the most I have ever hered about was 29psi(rage) that was on race gas....and it wasent driven daily at that boost level.

Like I said before the only motor I have ever hered of that can take that kind of abuse is the 2jz.

BTW I would like to see a street car driven on 40-50psi. I am willing to bet its a supra...and it's a ****ing race car with agressive timing set for race gas only in short bursts.

The only guy's that run that kind of boost are on race car's bottom line. If you think you are just going to start out at 28psi and work your way up from there you are smoking something. Find me any car on the planet that can run those kinds of boost pressure's consistanly over and over again without failure.

They don't exist. The supra is the only one. You are obviously looking for max hp here man. This aint the car for you. By a supra and push 600-700rwhp and be happy. Don't be ignorant and think there are ton's of other turbo car's out there that can do that. There aren't. That's the only reason you see guy's wtih porsche's and lambo's buying toyota's.lol. What you think it's because they like toyota? No it's because the car is a freak when it comes to abuse and boost pressure.

You obviously got alot to learn coming from the supra world. You aren't going to find a car that can push 30psi of boost year after year on a 100k+mile block and bottom end just laying around with ease. Period

Last edited by porshhhh951; 09-29-2004 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:40 PM
lithium
Intermediate

Thats why i said i will build the motor once it blows up! But i do see your point regarding different attitudes on here and SF, if i post something like this on SF everyone will tell me to go and do it and come back with the results, on here people are telling me it cant be done because nobody has tried it and thats why i souldnt even try. Then again half of the supraforums drives around on racegas daily and here most people dont even know what racegas is. If the motor has decent internals, high enough octane and a really good tune it CAN be done no matter what the motor is. Ill come back in a few months with a some results at high boost, later.

John, i listed several other motors which can handle high boost fine, of course 2j is on top of the list (Saad drives around his car in town at like 42psi and cranks it to 50psi on the dyno ) but many other motors can handle high boost fine as well, 4g63 (dsm), rb26dett (r34 skyline), 3s(mr2) etc... all can do over 30psi without problems with proper mods. Hell ive seen 930's and 996's pushing 25+ psi no problem making 700+ HP and those are p-cars.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:48 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Why do we keep comparing back to the supras? 28psi is a lot of air, and very high cylinder pressures for the 2.5L. As long as you have the right amount of fuel, enough octane for your fuel, and proper timing, it's not a problem running those pressures on a stock 951 block.

I'm not the only one that's done it... I may have made the highest power on a 2.5L, but I've seen several 25psi 430whp dynos on rennlist here with a stock 951 block and reliable. These are not rebuilt blocks either, but high mileage original motors. Porsche made a strong motor with our cars, and if tuned right, can yield tons of power reliably.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:49 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lithium
on here people are telling me it cant be done because nobody has tried it and thats why i souldnt even try.

If I waited till someone developed a big HP kit, I'd still be running a MAF kit .

As for turbo sizing, I used a T04E 57 trim with the #8 and stage 3 wheel, and made 460whp at 28-29psi of boost. According to the compressor maps, that was pretty much maxxed out. That and my MAP sensor only measured up to 29psi before clipping.

I've upgraded to a T04E 60 trim with a 0.70 A/R housing on the new motor, but I haven't turned up the boost yet. Probably early next year I'll know how much this turbo can flow. I've also got more displacement now so I shouldn't be hitting the 29psi ceiling anymore. The next bottleneck would be that #8 housing... I'm going to start measuring turbine backpressure to see how it looks.

Good luck with the project! Good to see other adventurous 951 owners out here .

Quick Reply: Lets talk turbos T61 vs GT30R etc