Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lets talk turbos T61 vs GT30R etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 11:41 PM
84black944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know im asking too many questions now but couldnt i just use water injection and run 94 octane im trying to figure out which will be the cheaper to run in the long run, because i drive this car every day in the summer. I plan on building a monster 951 over the winter, and need to figure out what i need to order for my car over the winter when it is not being driven.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:46 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A oil refinery engineer explained to me not to long ago that they did some tests of some actual octane ratings state by state and California ' s 91 premium is 88-89 octane on the east coast.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:03 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 84black944
I know im asking too many questions now but couldnt i just use water injection and run 94 octane im trying to figure out which will be the cheaper to run in the long run, because i drive this car every day in the summer. I plan on building a monster 951 over the winter, and need to figure out what i need to order for my car over the winter when it is not being driven.
Water injection allows you to run higher boost with on 93/94 octane gas. Water work as an anti-detonant and cools the charge as well. However water injection must be tuned in conjunction to AFR & Timing on the dyno for best results. In couple of weeks I plan to try water injection on the dyno, will post the results..
As far as I know B951S has done some testing with water injection with good results..
Old 09-30-2004, 01:15 AM
84black944
Racer

Thanks for the help fast951 as i would want to hear from you about the water injection because you are running a vitesse kit correct? which I was planning on adding the stage 2 kit over the winter with quick spool.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:59 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I hope I'm running a Vitesse Kit!! LOL... It appears that I will be testing the new Stage 3 kit..
Old 09-30-2004, 02:09 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

84black944,

Since John is a little shy fast951 is none other than the famous Vitesse Racing dude himself.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:40 AM
lithium
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DanaT
Well,

All I can say is that I have seen an 3r45ftg engine running at 70psi on street fuel. I also saw f5u62c874k engine running over 100psi of boost on 100 octane race fuel.

In the famous words of Vanilla Ice: "Rice, Rice, baby"

Easiest way to spot a ricer: they spit out engine code. In the ricer world, if you know some stupid numbers, you all all knowledgable.

Lets just put it this way about ricers. I helped one fix his nitrous system becuase he couldn't get the nitrous/fuel ration correct. I somehow "magically" made a #32 jet from his #20. Hmmm. He couldn't figure out how I knew how to do that. I am just witing for the ricers to claim they are running #500 jets. In fact, I have told ricers that I was running a #500 jet and they are so stupid they couldn't even figure it out. There typicalyu comment was "no way you were running a 500 shot". I told them, no, I was running a #500 jet.

Lithium, you know, if you have a #500 nitrous jet, you could make over 1000rwhp (at least for a little bit).

Yes, this is sarcasm. But yet again, a supra is involved. Hmmm. Coincidence or not that these threads seem to be turning into 1100+ hp supras. Hey if you like rice, go get some rice and leave us kraut eaters to our kraut, brats, and beer. I am sure rice and rice beer taste just as good as a nice hearty meal with real beer (note: REAL beer does NOT use rice). And yes, no matter how hard you try, rice will never taste like a nice wuerstchen.

-Dana
You’re a very ignorant person and you alone give a bad name to this whole community. You need to go and look up the definition of Rice, and then figure out what it means. You are obviously a zealot, and know nothing about any real tuning or engine building. Its people like you who hold the community back as a whole. Keep making jokes about supras, but that whole community is LIGHT years ahead of this one in terms of progress, there are now many 9-second supras on STOCK BLOCKS, who are making up to 980rwhp on STOCK INTERNALS, not to mention all the built ones running 8's and slaying pcars on the track. Lets see a 944 in the 11's at least? The level of tuning is exceptional for those cars, from 88mm turbos (which actually spool) to affordable AEM EMS to many suspension components which transform the car into a very capable track machine. So next time you see a turbo supra cruising by you, point and laugh and call him rice, until he drops a gear and watches you disappear in his mirror, regardless if your in your p-car or your RICE Japanese hyabusa. I am done with you.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:59 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John (Fast951): You hit 400~450whp on the Stage II or Stage III Kit? or are you using the Stage II turbo and running 24psi (a similar set up to Magown)?
Old 09-30-2004, 03:29 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, i honestly think that we shouldn't talk/compare our cars to Supras here for several reason:

1) Supras are 6 Cylinder cars (951 is 4-Cylinders)

2) Supras are TWIN turbocharged (951 is Single Tubocharged)

3) A Supra engine is 3,000cc displacement (2,500cc 951)

4) Supra (the newer ones) have technology based in the mid 90's (the first 951 came in in 1986, so it was based on technology at LEAST in 1984 or so).

With that said, a 951 pushing 450+whp with stock internals is a real achievement (in my opinion), and hence our cars are NOT for drag racing.

With that said, someof us (including myself ) got a little OT here. It was VERY interesting seeing some of you guys getting big HP numbers on high boost with a stock internal engine on pump gas as well so let's try to keep it that way
Old 09-30-2004, 03:35 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Dana cool it with that stuff man we are all friends here and it's just a discussion about new territory with the 951 block and stock bottom end.

Now most car's that I have seen blow up running super high boost level's on race gas could be tunning. So the very fair and obvious question is since I understand and I am with you on the tuning issue. Who the **** in the 951 community can tune a modded 951 with big turbo running 25-30psi and race gas. I mean seriously if the internals are as strong as you guy's claim(rage and john I do not doubt your education in anyway.....so if you say it can be done without cause then....hey I am a believer) then why not get this valuable knowledge out to the masses.

The reason is this really is uncharted territory for the most part. We have a handful of people in the 951 community that run this kind of boost. If this can become confidence inspiring then we need to get guy's who know how to tune at this level and we need to get some contact number's flowing.

I believe in tunning is everything I only say it all the time. I think that's the honest to god main reason why my car run's like it does. I had a pro do the upgrades from begining to end. That's why the car run's like it does. So if the motor can take it....who can we depend on to tune our car's at this level of performance?

I am willing to bet there are lot's of member's here that would be willing to pay top doller for such a thing. I myself had a friend do water injection because I have run as much as 23psi before. I aint scared of boost.....I just want to know the motor can hold. Over the course of time when the turbo get's upgraded I would like to have a race gas tune and a pump gas tune.

Would the vittese FQS switch work for something like this? Get the car tuned with a wideband have two different fun level's and let her rip. I am game.

Now let's get this tunning issue knocked. Someone donate a test mule and get this ball rollin. I am very interested to see how this go's and what type of mileage can get logged. Not to mention track day's(we all know those are hell on your car).

Maybe I can just pay to fly rage down himself...lol. j/k.

John your track car that run's 400-450rwhp....what boost level's is that at and are you using your turbo's?
Old 09-30-2004, 07:05 AM
J Chen
Drifting

Since we're on the subject of fuel,
what about adding toulene to bump
up the octance level ? Besides
octane rating, what else is different in
the composition of race fuel as compared
to pump gas.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:37 AM
special tool
Banned

Wow - I can answer 2 questions in a row. I have the newest Vitesse stage 3 in my car. I believe I am the first to have it installed and running. I also have been running 15%xylene for YEARS.

I had given John my previous dynos with k27 and k27 with SMT6. And I am going to dyno the stage 3 next week.

Late last night I went out with my laptop to look at the datalogger. I had my Lindsey black **** turned back 540 degrees from where it was with the k27 @ 20 psi. After I added what must have been 25% more fuel to the mid range and some up top, I did a 3rd pull. The tach went straight up at around 75 miles an hour on a straight. I have new Michelin 275's on the car - and it only weighs 2740 pounds.

This turbo sounds like a leer jet. I can record it if someone wants a good laugh.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:52 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
Late last night I went out with my laptop to look at the datalogger. I had my Lindsey black **** turned back 540 degrees from where it was with the k27 @ 20 psi. After I added what must have been 25% more fuel to the mid range and some up top, I did a 3rd pull. The tach went straight up at around 75 miles an hour on a straight. I have new Michelin 275's on the car - and it only weighs 2740 pounds.

This turbo sounds like a leer jet. I can record it if someone wants a good laugh.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:41 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

porshhhh951, At the moment we use the FQS for fuel as well as timing. Soon to be released, we will have in addition to the FQS, a secon set of maps (on the chip) so you have a street and a race selection. Of course when you have the SMT6 you have 2 additional maps (many on the laptop)... Also, it appears that we will release the Motronic Editor, then you have 7 chips loaded that you can select in between with a toggle switch.. Many options are available...
My race car is subjected to 20-25psi depending on conditions..

Special Tool, I knew you will be out again last night. LOL... I guess everyone knows now that Stage 3 is being reworked... Hopefully we'll have something to show soon..
Old 09-30-2004, 12:27 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

“You’re a very ignorant person and you alone give a bad name to this whole community.”

Lithium, to call me ignorant, shows your character. I am not the one coming on here rambling on about how great another car is. If you want that car, go buy it.

“You are obviously a zealot, and know nothing about any real tuning or engine building. Its people like you who hold the community back as a whole.”

Now this is REALLY funny. If you think I know nothing, let me tell you a little something. I have been playing with this stuff since before most of these people on the board. I was playing with fast bikes BEFORE your ever lusted after supra was even made. As far as my car, it was all built in ’97. Yes, I have been on rennlist since BEFORE it was rennlist. How many people actually remember “porschelist”? Now why don’t you ask people here how many people were running in 97 what I have on my car. How many people were running big reds in 97? How many were running 300rwhp in 97?

As far, as technical ability, you should read some of my posts. There are tricks that I do that people have laughed about. But lets throw this out there.

All that I can get (except race fuel) is 91 octane fuel. I run 19psi on the street without water injection and on 91 octane pump fuel. I am running a K27/6. I can hold 19psi to 6800rpm. Now, people will come on here and cal bullsh&t to hold that much boost that long with that small of a turbo but they haven’t seen my car run. I am running a different wastegate management system that most people run.

“Keep making jokes about supras, but that whole community is LIGHT years ahead of this one in terms of progress, there are now many 9-second supras on STOCK BLOCKS, who are making up to 980rwhp on STOCK INTERNALS, not to mention all the built ones running 8's and slaying pcars on the track. Lets see a 944 in the 11's at least? The level of tuning is exceptional for those cars, from 88mm turbos (which actually spool) to affordable AEM EMS to many suspension components which transform the car into a very capable track machine.”

980rwhp is not that impressive. Sorry. Can’t help you there. If you want to see an impressive car, I can send you pictures of my friends car. That’s when you start playing. I will give you two clues. Fontana and 16-71.

“So next time you see a turbo supra cruising by you, point and laugh and call him rice, until he drops a gear and watches you disappear in his mirror, regardless if your in your p-car or your RICE Japanese hyabusa.”

You sure seem to think you know what I have. When you make assumptions, you become the ignorant one. From what I have read, you seem to do the ricer thing of calling out your buddies to help you out in a race that you set up because you aren’t fast enough to keep up with the mouth.. You seem to really think you are fast. You REALLY think you could hang with my Hayabusa in you supra? Do you REALLY think most of your supra buddies could hang with my Hayabusa? So tell, me, how fast is my bike all-knowing-one.

-Dana

Quick Reply: Lets talk turbos T61 vs GT30R etc