Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951's vs Crotch Rockets

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 02:22 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
but, nothing in this world is un-beatable.
Except the fastest thing in the world
Old 09-21-2004, 09:42 AM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen plenty of bikes get beat by friends supra's on the tollway's around here. Just because its got 600 or 1000cc's don't mean it can't be beat. You need around 500+rwhp in a supra to pull a 600 from a higher roll and you need about 650+rwhp to pull liter bikes from higher roll's. Notice I didn't say from a 20 roll. We are talking 60-70mph roll's. If the only video you have ever seen of supra's beating bikes is the walser one then you havent' been online looking for supra video's in a very long time.
Do you have any figures for roll on times from 60-70 mph for these cars? I'll give you some for bikes.

The 02 Aprilia Mille R runs a quarter mile in 10.30 at about 130mph. The 0-60 time is about 3.5 seconds. So it should theoretically do the 60-130 in about 7 seconds.

In this old thread here,
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=bike

I posted a video of a GSXR1000 doing a few roll ons. The video doesn't seem to work anymore, but the numbers were accurate.

"I did some quick calculations with a stopwatch. His first run is 30-130mph and is completed in around 6 seconds. The run after he gets back on the highway is 50/60 - 170mph done in 10 seconds."
Old 09-21-2004, 11:27 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexE
I don't think anyone is arguing with you.... but showing a clip of a 14.5 sec corvette run..........says more to me about the driver than the car...
http://members.shaw.ca/dynomotive/stangvsbusa.wmv
Your right. It says that the C5 driver had a fairly quick C5 and was driving pretty well. Most C5s at that track have a hard time breaking into the 14s and the "magic" speed they all strive for is to break a 100mph 1/4 mile. To put it in perspective that day a viper ran a 14.88. I forget the mph but it was well under 100mph. I had my 951 at the track that day and running poorly (i.e. blown head gasket) I put down a 14.5@103mph with horrible wheelspin.

Look at the times for the R1. 11.46.

What you probably have overlooked is the most major factor in the times of those runs. 6000ft of altitude and 90 degree weather. Keep in mind that is a 25% hp loss (roughly).

A rough "corrected" time for that c5 is around a 13.3. The rough corrected time for the R1 was a 10.5. If you look at the corrected times those are right where mildly modified stock vehicles like that will run. They both experience that same losses so what you see is what happens at lower altitude, just on a slightly different scale.

I always take corrected times with a grain of salt as making an 11.0 run is much different than making the corrected 10.1 run. Making the 10.1 run is more difficulty because of controlling the extra power. But it is the only way to compare high altitude racing with lower altitudes.

I have put the hayabusa down the same track for only two runs when it was stock (didn't lower tires pressure or anything..rode it there and rode it home). I didn't hammer it off the line (basically an roll out and then roll on the throttle....not even snapping it open) and the bike ran 11.0@132mph ("corrected" would be 10.1@141mph). That is an easy run on a stock hayabusa. 60ft times were in the 2.2 range if that indicates how easy I was launching it. A decent launch on a bike should be in the 1.6 -1.7 range. Getting the bike into that range is another .3 to .5 off the 1/4 mile time. A 1.7 60ft time was all day long on my GSXR (which was faster than my hayabusa). That was running very low 10s to high 9s (very low 9s "corrected")on a street setup (i.e. street tires, full tire pressure). I haven't really flogged the Hayabusa on a drag strip; only on some streets.

As far as the mustang vs the nitrous busa. That one is hard to say. From the bad video quality I cannot for sure even say it is a hayabusa. And to say it has nitrous, well, that is just a faith call.

The reason why I don't believe most of the these videos is that the source is rarely known and as with all street racing, there is a lot of BS in play.

Hey, I can make a video of a 951 raping a Hayabusa. Anyone doubt me? What does that prove?

-Dana
Old 09-21-2004, 01:07 PM
AlexE
Pro

Originally Posted by DanaT
As far as the mustang vs the nitrous busa. That one is hard to say. From the bad video quality I cannot for sure even say it is a hayabusa. And to say it has nitrous, well, that is just a faith call....

The reason why I don't believe most of the these videos is that the source is rarely known and as with all street racing, there is a lot of BS in play.

Hey, I can make a video of a 951 raping a Hayabusa. Anyone doubt me? What does that prove?

-Dana
... Uhmmmm those videos are real..... but now I stay away from that kind of stuff........... when I was just "little" younger and more foolish. Now I am a responsible adult.

That run was at +3000 feet. Out of the city limits

I have seen super bikes being pulled on from rolling starts............ a 10 sec stang is no joke.

Here is one at my local track for you... http://members.shaw.ca/tomakicovic/t76.wmv

The best one I have seen is a local guy with his dodge diesel just staying a truck length ahead of gxr........... black smoke coming out the back and all.... and of course the street driven cyclones/typhoons in the 10-11 ranges. http://www.canadiansyty.com/video/mov00179.mpg <-- again at my local track.

Many years ago I thought that bikes could take every single car on the planet.....but when you see and ride in these cars ....... You become a believer.

Just last week I saw a 350z racing a cbr from a light...... The bike popped a wheelie... rider backed off the throttle and the 350z made it to the next light first. Did the 350z win. In my book yes and when it comes to racing anyone can beat anyone on any given day.

..............and if someone in a 951 tells me they got the jump on a bike. Hey more power to them. Thats what racing is all about.... In order to be a good racer its always man and machine the rest is excuses.

There is always someone faster..... even for the bikes.

Old 09-21-2004, 02:08 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

No, a bike can't take every single car on the planet.

But the true 10 second street car is very few and far between. Most of them are at best almost street legal.

Most of the 10 second cars I have seen are trailered to the street races, show up on slicks, no way in hell are even close to street legal let alone being able to idle in traffic.

If you are comparing these cars, why not through street shootout bikes into the fray. These bikes must use street tires, have to be able to drive 25 miles behind a pace car through all sort of traffic then shut down and re-start within one minute (thats harder than people believe when you are talking drag race vehicles), run no wheelie bars, have no-more than a 68 inch wheelbase. These are pushing the limits of a street vehicle, but they are actually more street-able than most "street" drag race cars. Oh yes, and you must be turning 7s to be competative.

-Dana
Old 09-21-2004, 02:27 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Ken I take it you haven't been around many really really fast car's. That's okay in retrospect they are a minority.

I don't have time off the top of my head .....although I could prolly look at some footage and figure some out.

My ride in a friends 625rwhp is300 a little while ago was 7 sec's from 50-140mph. So I hope this put's it into perspective for you. There are car's out there with ton's of power than can be just as fast and faster than bikes.

I think bike fan's just love bikes. Bottom line. That's fine. Just don't think that they aren't car's out there that can beat 600-1300cc bike cause there are. A 650-700rwhp supra would walk a liter bike from a higher roll on the freeway.

I have seen this done many time's over so please if you feel the need to call bs....just don't. I don't want to argue about this stupid crap anymore. Believe what you freggin want to. It's not my job to educate everyone on high hp freeway car's and what they can do to bike from higher roll's.

Im out.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:06 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

This thread is getting silly.

Is it just me or everyone is now talking about 900bhp+ monster cars and how they can beat bikes.

We started this conversation about 600cc SS bike versus 951. Stock for stock!

Bike wins by a million miles.

Even if you introduce tuned cars into the equation unless they have 500bhp+ - bike will win again and again.

Anyone who claims that he or she spanked a 600cc SS bike means that the rider was simply not trying – I usually don’t (what’s the point – I know the outcome) someone said it already.

I had a race with a Ferrari 360 – and they are quick. Quicker than our cars. I was gunning him down left right and centre. On the straights I was all over him through bends we were equal. He was really trying and the screaming engine of his Ferrari Jesus I could not even hear my Akrapovich...

Trust me with a good rider on a 1000cc bike don’t even think about it. He will have you for breakfast all day long and then some.

Old 09-21-2004, 04:08 PM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Ken I take it you haven't been around many really really fast car's. That's okay in retrospect they are a minority.
I guess my turbo doesn't qualify as really really fast? How about just really fast?
But you're right, I haven't been. Most of the cars I've been around have been at autocross or driver's ed events. It's rare to see a 600-1000HP street car there. And even it there was, I certainly wouldn't get a ride.

I don't have time off the top of my head .....although I could prolly look at some footage and figure some out.

My ride in a friends 625rwhp is300 a little while ago was 7 sec's from 50-140mph. So I hope this put's it into perspective for you. There are car's out there with ton's of power than can be just as fast and faster than bikes.

I think bike fan's just love bikes. Bottom line. That's fine. Just don't think that they aren't car's out there that can beat 600-1300cc bike cause there are. A 650-700rwhp supra would walk a liter bike from a higher roll on the freeway.

I have seen this done many time's over so please if you feel the need to call bs....just don't. I don't want to argue about this stupid crap anymore. Believe what you freggin want to. It's not my job to educate everyone on high hp freeway car's and what they can do to bike from higher roll's.

Im out.
I'm not looking to stir things up. I'm really interested in these numbers. I've asked in past posts for hard numbers from people and I've always been ignored. If there's a car out there that posts similiar numbers, it would certainly give a bike a run for it's money.

I think the point is this. I would say that 99% of cars out there would loose to a bike in a roll on race. And that's my only point. For me, 600+whp cars are a rarity. I think modified vehicles muddy the water too much to make a valid point. Stock for stock, there's little to no cars that would be a bike today. Modified, it's anyones(read $$$) game.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:26 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat...-speeder_x.htm
Old 09-21-2004, 06:35 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

I bet a representative from that guys insurance company showed up at his door with a condom and tube of KY jelly...
Old 09-21-2004, 09:59 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

since he didn't even have a license i'm guessing insurance isn't high on his list...
Old 09-22-2004, 12:38 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Porshhh951,
You keep on mentioning all those fast Toyotas with upwards of a 1000Hp like you know what you are talking about, let me guess 15 to 20 years experience with superfast cars and ton"s of seat time at the track, I take my hat off to you.
Now here is my request, Toyota has been a backmarker in F1 for the last three years in a row and they have been sacking drivers left and right, so, could you and your buddies with all the vast knowledge you guys posess help them out to get to the front of the grid because I am tired of them fighting it out with thw Minardi's.
I sincerely thank you in advance and I am looking forward that you post a F1 kill video, keep up the good work!
Old 09-22-2004, 02:12 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Can a 1000cc Honda do 205?
Old 09-22-2004, 04:00 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iloveporsches
Can a 1000cc Honda do 205?
Man Receives 205 M.P.H. Speeding Ticket on a Honda 1000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Man Receives 205 M.P.H. Speeding Ticket

WABASHA (AP) - With a State Patrol airplane overhead, a Stillwater motorcyclist hit the throttle and possibly set the informal record for the fastest speeding ticket in Minnesota history: 205 mph.

On Saturday afternoon, State Patrol pilot Al Loney was flying near Wabasha, in southeastern Minnesota on the Wisconsin border, watching two motorcyclists racing along U.S. Highway 61.

When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph.

"I was in total disbelief," Loney told the St. Paul Pioneer Press for Tuesday's editions. "I had to double-check my watch because in 27 years I'd never seen anything move that fast."

Several law enforcement sources told the newspaper that, although no official records are kept, it was probably the fastest ticket ever written in the state.

After about three-quarters of a mile, the biker slowed to about 100 mph and let the other cycle catch up. By then Loney had radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two over soon afterward.

The State Patrol officer arrested the faster rider, 20-year-old Stillwater resident Samuel Armstrong Tilley, for reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license - and driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit of 65 mph.

A search of speeding tickets written by state troopers, who patrol most of the state's highways, between 1990 and February 2004 shows the next fastest ticket was for 150 mph in 1994 in Lake of the Woods County.

Tilley did not return calls from the newspaper to his home Monday. A working number for him could not immediately be found by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Only a handful of exotic sports cars can reach 200 mph, but many high-performance motorcycles can top 175 mph. With minor modifications, they can hit 200 mph. Tilley was riding a Honda 1000, Loney said.

Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.

"I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you crashed at 200 miles per hour," Swanson said. "But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure."

Well, at least he wasn't wearing cutoffs and flip-flops.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:49 AM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SimonK
Well, at least he wasn't wearing cutoffs and flip-flops.
Yes, at least. This part sounds almost surreal: "He was ticketed for...driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit of 65 mph." Whew! I wonder if he was taken straight to jail?

Quick Reply: 951's vs Crotch Rockets