Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Car running great now, Need Prescription for more HP now please

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2020 | 06:42 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, guys, umm..... I'm a bit dinosaur heheh, Facebook, yeah I don't do the facebook . But, I will talk with Tim!

Thank you much!!
Old 03-14-2020 | 12:06 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Nothing against Tim's UltraSpool...
Don't forget about Charlie at Evergreen.
This is his Raptor modification.

Last edited by mwc951; 11-25-2021 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-14-2020 | 08:46 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mwc951

How do you like it?
Old 03-15-2020 | 09:48 AM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Part of a winter project.
Motor mounts, Nissan alternator & a bunch of "while your in there" maintenance.
The car will be down for a while.
The following users liked this post:
fejjj (03-22-2020)
Old 03-30-2020 | 06:54 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, installing the Tial 38mm wastegate kit, questions tho:

Are the two stainless gaskets use on the high pressure side of the Tial unit? I can see no big deal on the waste side since its just wasting hot air (and will prolly seal due to metal swell from the heat). But, since the "Kit" came with only two, I figure one gasket between Tial body and adapter plate (the valve side of the unit), then the other gasket between same plate and mounting surface on stock crossover pipe??? This side of the Tial sees way more pressure, sooooo.........

Anyone know??
thanx in advance.
Old 03-30-2020 | 07:08 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 287 Posts

What kit did you get? My tial came with two clover-leaf looking gaskets only, but I assume they never accounted for adapter flanges. I'd put gaskets at all 4 flange joints (both sides of both adapters). Even though the outlet side doesn't affect performance per se, soot make a mess, the sound will be off, and the cold air might mess with the valve over time. Besides, the car will punish you with a leaking heater core or something if you cut corners. If you want to get it together without waiting on ordered gaskets, you can buy a roll of the Napa hi temp gasket material, or better yet cut a gasket out of a piece of copper flashing.
Old 03-30-2020 | 07:31 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 132 Posts

You can buy hi temp gasket material at Napa? I've always wondered about making my own gaskets; does anybody really do that successfully? Sure would beat all that waiting for sure

Old 03-30-2020 | 08:23 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
You can buy hi temp gasket material at Napa? I've always wondered about making my own gaskets; does anybody really do that successfully? Sure would beat all that waiting for sure
Well...you could in 2004 anyway... I'm guessing the stuff they sell now is even better. Summit Racing sells a similar exhaust gasket material too -- made by Mr. Gasket. Here's my old review of the Napa stuff....

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...nstal-q-s.html
Old 04-02-2020 | 11:59 AM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

There's a lot of modern tech you can use now that really makes these cars wake up. On my build I went with a voodoo stage 2 turbo from eman930, RSbarn stag 2 cam, 1mm larger intake valves and head porting from valley research performance, a 3inch DP and a Tial F46 wastegate, running a M-tune on custom maps. Shooting for around 400hp on a 2.5L. I have logs (before head work and cam) that show the turbo hitting 21psi at 3200rpm. Not bad for a big 60/58 turbo. Dynos to come! The biggest issue is our community is being force fed old cheap tech from the 90's that hasn't changed. Even the M-tune, vems, and other maf kits are old and for the same price you can get much more modern tuning solutions. Look at what all the import guys are using and doing, Apply the same things to our cars and they will shine!

Old 04-02-2020 | 12:29 PM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It’s actually not Tim’s Ultraspool. Do you call Vitesse’s turbos Evergreen turbos because Charlie makes them for him? I guess some guys are dirtbags and will attempt to go around people to buy direct from the back end shops making the product. For the record, I passed on that Mitsubishi TD04 style turbine 3 years ago because it is a lag monster compared to what is used in the Ultraspool / Voodoo series of turbos. The tiny center hub allows more flow at the expense of horrible spool for the size of the turbine. This compromise is due to the inadequate size of the #6 and #8 housings to support properly sized modern turbines.

Originally Posted by mwc951

Old 04-02-2020 | 02:33 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't talk about something you have no clue about.

Originally Posted by E-man930
It’s actually not Tim’s Ultraspool. Do you call Vitesse’s turbos Evergreen turbos because Charlie makes them for him?
Old 04-02-2020 | 09:15 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 665 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by fast924S
The biggest issue is our community is being force fed old cheap tech from the 90's that hasn't changed. Even the M-tune, vems, and other maf kits are old and for the same price you can get much more modern tuning solutions. Look at what all the import guys are using and doing, Apply the same things to our cars and they will shine!
curious how these new RSB cams would compare to say a JME 8SR-14.

also curious what tuning you're talking about; i am biased as a happy VEMS customer but it's as 21st century as you can get.
i know "someone" is a proponent of the Holley ECU which looks promising but i haven't looked into it all that much.
Old 04-02-2020 | 09:38 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
curious how these new RSB cams would compare to say a JME 8SR-14.

also curious what tuning you're talking about; i am biased as a happy VEMS customer but it's as 21st century as you can get.
i know "someone" is a proponent of the Holley ECU which looks promising but i haven't looked into it all that much.
The RSB Cam’s are designed to compete with the JME camshafts and they are also half the price right now.

also there currently is a group buy for MaxxEcu these units are true 21st century motorsports units that make basically anything we’ve used look like 1980’s Atari units even Vems... in the group buy they come with harnesses and the company is willing to assist and tune remotely for free.... best part is with the discount being offered in the group by, it’s basically the same price as a Vems just a waaay better unit. You can find the group buy information on the Premier 944 turbo Facebook page, or contact E-man930 for details..... it’s really the deal of a lifetime for this kinda tech.

https://maxxecu.us/product/maxxecu-race-h2o/
Old 04-02-2020 | 10:24 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

The RSB Cam’s are designed to compete with the JME camshafts and they are also half the price right now.

also there currently is a group buy for MaxxEcu these units are true 21st century motorsports units that make basically anything we’ve used look like 1980’s Atari units even Vems... in the group buy they come with harnesses and the company is willing to assist and tune remotely for free.... best part is with the discount being offered in the group by, it’s basically the same price as a Vems just a waaay better unit. You can find the group buy information on the Premier 944 turbo Facebook page, or contact E-man930 for details..... it’s really the deal of a lifetime for this kinda tech.

I will start by saying that I think it is great that Emanuel and others are offering some more modern products for the old 944 Turbo platform. Hopefully we will eventually see actual results from some of these items, as it seems that most of the Ultraspool owners on the Facebook group keep running into various other issues with their builds . . .

However I dispute the notion that the VEMS engine management that I have on my 951 is an "Atari." True, the design is about 10 years old, but it has most of the same basic, built-in features of the Maxx ECU shown in the link. Sure, there are fewer extra inputs and outputs, but it has all of the features that I wanted for a simple engine like the 951, and the price point was very good.

https://www.vems.com/engine-management/ecu-vems-v3.html

The Maxx ECU doesn't have any radical new features that aren't readily available on competitive products, but it does appear to be a good value for the money, and would be a better option for a modern engine with dual E-throttle bodies and variable camshaft timing (though VEMS can be optionally configured to do this). However, the possibility of full-time support in the US and remote tuning is a very attractive feature.

As for myself, I have enjoyed learning to tune the VEMS myself (HP Academy courses and Greg Banish books definitely helped), and the engine runs great, gets the same highway cruising MPG as a stock 951, and can even be tuned to pass CA tailpipe emissions with 80# injectors (visual may be another story).

I think it is good to educate the 951 community about what is out there, but it is not helpful to bash existing products from longtime vendors as completely worthless---a lot of these products are perfectly good for those looking for mild upgrades from stock for their street-driven 951. If you are looking to reliably put 400+ RWHP down at the track, then a modern engine management system and array of sensors/datalogging is almost mandatory . . . .

Old 04-02-2020 | 11:25 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm glad you decided to go with a cam. IMO a cam is a better upgrade than a turbo. The motors gain in efficiency is unprecedented. To give you an example. My k26 held about 16 psi boost to redline. After the cam. It couldn't hold 9 psi after 5 k rpm's.
JME cams are the best period. Jon has tuned them for over 30 years under track conditions. Hopefully RSB is a copy of Jon's design, Because I purchased one of the last one's. He no longer makes them. He is headed toward retirement.
If any tuner had a half a brain. They would call him up and buy his profile designs from him.

Quick Reply: Car running great now, Need Prescription for more HP now please