Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Car running great now, Need Prescription for more HP now please

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2020 | 02:39 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by fast924S
The RSB Cam’s are designed to compete with the JME camshafts and they are also half the price right now.

also there currently is a group buy for MaxxEcu these units are true 21st century motorsports units that make basically anything we’ve used look like 1980’s Atari units even Vems... in the group buy they come with harnesses and the company is willing to assist and tune remotely for free.... best part is with the discount being offered in the group by, it’s basically the same price as a Vems just a waaay better unit. You can find the group buy information on the Premier 944 turbo Facebook page, or contact E-man930 for details..... it’s really the deal of a lifetime for this kinda tech.

https://maxxecu.us/product/maxxecu-race-h2o/
Maxxecu is superb stuff founded and developed here in Sweden. I had it fitted in a 930 I owned with flexifuel and used mostly E85. Support was great from the guys in Vrigstad 🇸🇪
Old 04-03-2020 | 07:03 AM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Last edited by mwc951; 04-06-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-03-2020 | 09:17 AM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PF
Maxxecu is superb stuff founded and developed here in Sweden. I had it fitted in a 930 I owned with flexifuel and used mostly E85. Support was great from the guys in Vrigstad 🇸🇪

Yes!!!! I was really impressed with the guys running the business, willing to help and tune for free!!! And they know their stuff! The Race ECU with the discount is about $1400, that comes with the ecu, harness, and Wideband sensors, I’m really impressed with the company!
Old 04-03-2020 | 09:26 AM
eman930
Banned

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I'm glad you decided to go with a cam. IMO a cam is a better upgrade than a turbo. The motors gain in efficiency is unprecedented. To give you an example. My k26 held about 16 psi boost to redline. After the cam. It couldn't hold 9 psi after 5 k rpm's.
JME cams are the best period. Jon has tuned them for over 30 years under track conditions. Hopefully RSB is a copy of Jon's design, Because I purchased one of the last one's. He no longer makes them. He is headed toward retirement.
If any tuner had a half a brain. They would call him up and buy his profile designs from him.
Performance needs to be looked at as a package, upgrading one thing isn’t the way to do it, it needs to be treated as a whole system, the better breathing turbo will benefit from the ported head, the ported head will benefit from the upgraded camshaft and so on. On the 951 I still believe the first upgraded needed is to ditch those crappy 26/6 and 26/8 turbos, they are just too small and old tech. Really restricting the engine.

You can still purchase JME cams, Atleast for now, at $900 lol. But I did hear the same, that he has all his stuff up for sale and is shutting the doors.. He is super knowledgeable and if your lucky enough to get him on the phone, he’s very friendly too!

These RSB cams are designed to be competitive in performance to JME, they are also on sale for half the price, full billet and Tinifer hardened. Great deal, I’ll follow up on performance

Old 04-03-2020 | 11:21 AM
eman930
Banned

Originally Posted by Droops83
I will start by saying that I think it is great that Emanuel and others are offering some more modern products for the old 944 Turbo platform. Hopefully we will eventually see actual results from some of these items, as it seems that most of the Ultraspool owners on the Facebook group keep running into various other issues with their builds . . .

However I dispute the notion that the VEMS engine management that I have on my 951 is an "Atari." True, the design is about 10 years old, but it has most of the same basic, built-in features of the Maxx ECU shown in the link. Sure, there are fewer extra inputs and outputs, but it has all of the features that I wanted for a simple engine like the 951, and the price point was very good.

https://www.vems.com/engine-management/ecu-vems-v3.html

The Maxx ECU doesn't have any radical new features that aren't readily available on competitive products, but it does appear to be a good value for the money, and would be a better option for a modern engine with dual E-throttle bodies and variable camshaft timing (though VEMS can be optionally configured to do this). However, the possibility of full-time support in the US and remote tuning is a very attractive feature.

As for myself, I have enjoyed learning to tune the VEMS myself (HP Academy courses and Greg Banish books definitely helped), and the engine runs great, gets the same highway cruising MPG as a stock 951, and can even be tuned to pass CA tailpipe emissions with 80# injectors (visual may be another story).

I think it is good to educate the 951 community about what is out there, but it is not helpful to bash existing products from longtime vendors as completely worthless---a lot of these products are perfectly good for those looking for mild upgrades from stock for their street-driven 951. If you are looking to reliably put 400+ RWHP down at the track, then a modern engine management system and array of sensors/datalogging is almost mandatory . . . .

While vems is no bad ECU it remains a DIY homebrew project. It can do a lot for the buck if you're into electronics, software development, bugfix and all those DIY elements but it's a painful journey after some point. Almost no documentation and support, lack of input/output channels and failure resistance are the biggest issues people usually face. The hardware side is quite dated but okay for basic engine controls.
Maxxecu is a much more modern hardware setup with faster and more accurate control algorithms as well as a proper documentation. The thing most noticable to you as an end user is the easier configuration of the system, a a direct support line and less time spend searching for annoying errors. Once you develop to a more sophisticated tune you will be able to benefit from the better control strategy options and more reliable operation. It supports onbaoard data logging with 1000Hz(1000 samples per second vs ~10ish samples/second on a vems log) and has many more input options, properly supports CAN protocol, which can be used to control 2020 automotive parts or just for expanding with more controllers. To put it in a nutshell: easier to use and tune, tons of additional options, faster, less prone to mistakes. Both will run an engine but if you're looking to get a good package and replace your most likely brittle and worn engine harness, this is the way better option.
Old 04-03-2020 | 11:31 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

While vems is no bad ECU it remains a DIY homebrew project. It can do a lot for the buck if you're into electronics, software development, bugfix and all those DIY elements but it's a painful journey after some point. Almost no documentation and support, lack of input/output channels and failure resistance are the biggest issues people usually face. The hardware side is quite dated but okay for basic engine controls.
Maxxecu is a much more modern hardware setup with faster and more accurate control algorithms as well as a proper documentation. The thing most noticable to you as an end user is the easier configuration of the system, a a direct support line and less time spend searching for annoying errors. Once you develop to a more sophisticated tune you will be able to benefit from the better control strategy options and more reliable operation. It supports onbaoard data logging with 1000Hz(1000 samples per second vs ~10ish samples/second on a vems log) and has many more input options, properly supports CAN protocol, which can be used to control 2020 automotive parts or just for expanding with more controllers. To put it in a nutshell: easier to use and tune, tons of additional options, faster, less prone to mistakes. Both will run an engine but if you're looking to get a good package and replace your most likely brittle and worn engine harness, this is the way better option.
These are all fair points; sounds like you have done your homework.

I am perfectly happy with the VEMS for my 951's current state of tune, but the ultimate goal is to join the 07K swap cult if I can somehow find a way to do that legally in CA . . . . my existing VEMS ECU would actually run that engine with no problems, but if I made it that far I would probably re-evaluate standalone options.

I look forward to seeing the progress with the MaxxECU stuff.
Old 04-05-2020 | 12:59 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Performance needs to be looked at as a package, upgrading one thing isn’t the way to do it, it needs to be treated as a whole system, the better breathing turbo will benefit from the ported head, the ported head will benefit from the upgraded camshaft and so on. On the 951 I still believe the first upgraded needed is to ditch those crappy 26/6 and 26/8 turbos, they are just too small and old tech. Really restricting the engine.

You can still purchase JME cams, Atleast for now, at $900 lol. But I did hear the same, that he has all his stuff up for sale and is shutting the doors.. He is super knowledgeable and if your lucky enough to get him on the phone, he’s very friendly too!

These RSB cams are designed to be competitive in performance to JME, they are also on sale for half the price, full billet and Tinifer hardened. Great deal, I’ll follow up on performance

https://youtu.be/Ab4wrd_UbRM
Yes your correct but, I'm giving an example of the increase in engine flow with a cam change. A drop in max boost psi is an increase in engine efficiency. Plus: You are missing some vital information about turbo companies like Evergreen. While the case may be a k27. Its isn't a k27. It has Garrett wheels that are housed in a k27. What the covers are and what the turbo really is are two different topics.

Last edited by jimbo1111; 04-05-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-05-2020 | 01:22 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 132 Posts

Hey what about the cam key mod? I understand this simple, easy-to-install trick helps boost low-end throttle response without sacrificing reliability or mpg. If it's dramatic enough, I have no idea. Maybe someone does?

https://928motorsports.com/parts/off...aft_keyset.php
Old 04-05-2020 | 08:04 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 665 Likes on 518 Posts

do it
do it
do it

Old 04-06-2020 | 05:15 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 207 Posts

I will start by saying that I think it is great that Emanuel and others are offering some more modern products for the old 944 Turbo platform. Hopefully we will eventually see actual results from some of these items, as it seems that most of the Ultraspool owners on the Facebook group keep running into various other issues with their builds . . .
My Ultraspool is getting closer to being dialed in every day. I had it on the dyno earlier and did 340/340 at 16psi. I was having problems with my tuning computer and we couldn't make the adjustment we needed to keep pushing the boost up. I've smoothed out some of the over fueling and gotten my data logger to actually work. I see that I need to fix an air temp sensor wiring problem, which is probably part of the fuel mixture issue. I'm doing pulls now at 19psi, and logging 3.94 MAF voltage on the Mtune, which I'm told should be knocking on the door of 400whp. Im running 70% alcohol (that's what comes out of my local e85 pump) and 100% duty cycle from ~5400 RPM to the redline. Mixture at 5400 ~.73 lambda and mixture at 6200 is ~.79 lambda. It's moving a ton of fuel maxing out the 85lbs injectors, and it's nasty fast. 1st and 2nd gear are completely useless.
The following users liked this post:
eman930 (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020 | 05:18 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I'm glad you decided to go with a cam. IMO a cam is a better upgrade than a turbo. The motors gain in efficiency is unprecedented. To give you an example. My k26 held about 16 psi boost to redline. After the cam. It couldn't hold 9 psi after 5 k rpm's.
This is not indicative of a performance increase, and not something to be excited about.
The following users liked this post:
eman930 (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020 | 05:32 PM
eman930
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Hey what about the cam key mod? I understand this simple, easy-to-install trick helps boost low-end throttle response without sacrificing reliability or mpg. If it's dramatic enough, I have no idea. Maybe someone does?

https://928motorsports.com/parts/off...aft_keyset.php

I’ve used it, ran a 4° advance key, really not a great improvement, your better off saving your money and buying a good camshaft
Old 04-06-2020 | 06:37 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
This is not indicative of a performance increase, and not something to be excited about.
Can you expand on this, because I see it differently.
Old 04-06-2020 | 11:14 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
My Ultraspool is getting closer to being dialed in every day. I had it on the dyno earlier and did 340/340 at 16psi. I was having problems with my tuning computer and we couldn't make the adjustment we needed to keep pushing the boost up. I've smoothed out some of the over fueling and gotten my data logger to actually work. I see that I need to fix an air temp sensor wiring problem, which is probably part of the fuel mixture issue. I'm doing pulls now at 19psi, and logging 3.94 MAF voltage on the Mtune, which I'm told should be knocking on the door of 400whp. Im running 70% alcohol (that's what comes out of my local e85 pump) and 100% duty cycle from ~5400 RPM to the redline. Mixture at 5400 ~.73 lambda and mixture at 6200 is ~.79 lambda. It's moving a ton of fuel maxing out the 85lbs injectors, and it's nasty fast. 1st and 2nd gear are completely useless.
Sounds promising! But you had better get some larger injectors in there, don't want be more than ~80% duty cycle.
Old 04-07-2020 | 11:39 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Sounds promising! But you had better get some larger injectors in there, don't want be more than ~80% duty cycle.
New injectors are supposedly already in the mail. That said, everything I've read about the Deka 80 injectors is that they can basically be run at 100%, and if that's not enough fuel you can raise the fuel pressure. I'm not planning on finding out if it's fully true.

Quick Reply: Car running great now, Need Prescription for more HP now please