Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Porsche 944 Turbo restomod

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 03:22 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by sm
Frank - how long did it take you to completely strip out the interior to get it prepped for painting?
I'm not sure. Taking out the interior doesn't take very long, but be careful with the headliner and the pieces around the quarter windows if you plan on using them again. The more time consuming is getting rid of all the dampening material that has been glued (to the transmission tunnel for example). I guestimate that taking care of the glued stuff takes longer than taking out the interior.

Be ware! Not all dampening material is still available!!! You might keep that in mind while taking out the interior.

I think it would have taken me at least 15 hours for taking out the interior and the dampening material.
Prepping for primer will take you at least that amount! Especially the dashboard area is a PITA!
Old 07-31-2018, 12:24 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If you go for a 3.0L I recommend using the 104mm Block. They have better cylinder reinforcement and windage ports. No need to spend the $ on sleeves when you could spend it on good pistons. Plus you have a choice of better breathing heads.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:39 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

Almost a year has passed since my latest post. Is the car done? NO! Have I been doing nothing at all to the car? NO!

I have been collecting a lot off engine parts for the engine build. At first I wanted to go for a LS3 conversion, but that's no longer an option.I was going to sleeve my original engine with Darton MID sleeves, but after four (!) suppliers accepting my order (and my money) and then backing out refunding my money, I have put that build on hold.

Another (pretty) complete 944 Turbo engine has been acquired and the engine looks very good! I will be building the engine with the stock pistons, rods and crankshaft. The internals will remain stock, but I probably will add a crankshaft scraper. Aftermarket turbo, fuelrail. exhaustheaders and motormanagment will be installed. And offcoarse every bearing and seal will be replaced. I'm still awaiting the piston rings, but as soon as those have arrived I will post pictures off the engine build.

And yes, I know I'm taking my time!
Old 07-16-2019, 08:42 AM
slinger569
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

We admire your work and dedication..!! As always keep us posted.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:44 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank@Work
Almost a year has passed since my latest post. Is the car done? NO! Have I been doing nothing at all to the car? NO!

I have been collecting a lot off engine parts for the engine build. At first I wanted to go for a LS3 conversion, but that's no longer an option.I was going to sleeve my original engine with Darton MID sleeves, but after four (!) suppliers accepting my order (and my money) and then backing out refunding my money, I have put that build on hold.

Another (pretty) complete 944 Turbo engine has been acquired and the engine looks very good! I will be building the engine with the stock pistons, rods and crankshaft. The internals will remain stock, but I probably will add a crankshaft scraper. Aftermarket turbo, fuelrail. exhaustheaders and motormanagment will be installed. And offcoarse every bearing and seal will be replaced. I'm still awaiting the piston rings, but as soon as those have arrived I will post pictures off the engine build.

And yes, I know I'm taking my time!
You can buy a block in the states and ship it directly to Darton, Lart might help you out.

Things take time, im 2 year in my build.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:03 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

This thread is awesome and yet so dangerous. I'm about ready to start the 2nd partial restoration on my car and I see a ton of things you replaced that I should add to my list. Thanks for the tips on the sound deadening; I would have stripped it all off in preparation for my new carpets. Perhaps I'll just leave it alone.

I also acquired a low mile shortblock to build a stock motor. The one in the car will be mothballed for a future build and restoration #3.

(I partially restored mine in 2001 in real time on the list, just like you're doing).

Looking forward to seeing yours all done. It's way more in depth than any attempts I've done.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:06 PM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

You will be glad you did not do the LS swap. I bought a 944 LS swap supposedly completed. It was a nightmare to get it to run properly for track duty. However my 89 951 was an absolute dream that I had fun with for 18 years. I kind do miss it.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:58 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

Because we all love pictures:

I've bought an extra 944 Turbo engine. The original engine will become a 3.0 liter turbo (in the future). To get the 944 on the road I will rebuild the extra engine.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:06 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Here are some products to consider.
https://www.crank-scrapers.com/Porsche_944.html
https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/PANBAF.html
Old 08-12-2019, 06:43 PM
Frank@Work
Pro

Ouch! The head is toast!
The ceramic liner in the number one and number four exhaust ports are gone:

@Humboldtgrin: Thank you for bringing the scraper to my attention.

Last edited by Frank@Work; 08-12-2019 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 08-13-2019, 07:40 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

I have checked out several heads (already) and they all have the ceramic problem!
Why would I be replacing my broken head with a head which will eventually brake as well?

I'm considering a NA head for my build.
Any reason why I should not be using a NA head?
Old 08-13-2019, 11:17 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank@Work
I have checked out several heads (already) and they all have the ceramic problem!
Why would I be replacing my broken head with a head which will eventually brake as well?

I'm considering a NA head for my build.
Any reason why I should not be using a NA head?

NA head is fine, as long as you use the Turbo Ex Valves... all good..
Old 08-13-2019, 02:34 PM
Its_Lobelt
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Where were you able to find the blower unit?
Old 08-13-2019, 05:16 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Did you try contacting Gustaf (aka Duke on Rennlist)? He is in Sweden and had his block converted to MiD.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:57 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

Originally Posted by Robert_325i
Where were you able to find the blower unit?
Porsche dealer.

Quick Reply: Porsche 944 Turbo restomod