Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 08:26 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by zoom944T
Again, just thinking out loud, but would seem that your current work seems compatible with methanol injection system. Methanol allows running increased boost and advanced timing, therein lies the horsepower gains (?). So, via the FQS setting, all would seem well and compatible. Now, if you start working on the KLR, that may open a whole other dynamic can of whoopee.
WHEN, when my man... Let's be optimistic and supportive here (maybe a large bribe would work as well).
Old 09-02-2021, 08:51 PM
zoom944T
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 09-03-2021, 11:46 PM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Apple M1 and Parallels

Originally Posted by michael7810
I was able to add the serial port using the procedure that Charles suggested however for some reason I cannot remove the existing FTDI drivers using the Add/Remove program utility. I can find them per Joe's instructions and go through the steps to remove them however they don't go away. For the heck of it I borrowed a friends laptop (windows 10) and installed the OBD software and got the exact same problem with the drivers not loading. I then removed the drivers per Joe's instructions, opened OBD+ and reinstalled the drivers on the "i" tab and it works correctly. I get 2 green lights and it reads the DME like it should. I was able to see the coolant temp is equal to the inlet air temp with a "cold" engine (90F is cold in Phoenix this time of the year). I started the engine and let it run until the coolant temp read 181F and it seemed to correlate with the gauge markings. I recently had a cold start issue when in Santa Fe (50F & 7000 Ft ASL) that I cannot duplicate in Phoenix. It's running good for now so I'll just wait until cooler temps arrive in Phoenix and see if the problem reoccurs. I still have a few days left on the trial version of Parallels Desktop so if there's something else you can think I will see if I can get OBD to work on my M1 Macbook. Thanks again to Charles and Joe for your expertise. Cheers
I'm about to change my MacbookPro for a Mac mini with a M1 proc.

I'll try to have the best way to make ODB+ on a Windows 10 VM using Parallels on it. I'll do this around November as this is my car storage date for winter. I can at least have the ECU with 12V power on it to have some readings...

Will see, hope this will help!

Charles
Old 09-04-2021, 11:21 AM
michael7810
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking forward to seeing the results
Old 09-07-2021, 03:41 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 385 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by zoom944T
Again, just thinking out loud, but would seem that your current work seems compatible with methanol injection system. Methanol allows running increased boost and advanced timing, therein lies the horsepower gains (?). So, via the FQS setting, all would seem well and compatible. Now, if you start working on the KLR, that may open a whole other dynamic can of whoopee.
I was thinking about how you where saying the methanol controller uses a MAF signal to gauge how much methanol to inject. I realized that I the OBD+ module can generate this signal using the stock AFM. The OBD+ module has universal pin on its "AUX" connector that can be configured as a 0 to 5V DAC (Digital to Analog Converter). I could use the code I developed for converting the AFM signal to grams per second and scale it to mimic a MAF signal on this pin. Alternatively, you could also pick up a pod filter and adapter for you AFM and pipe in a MAF sensor in series to get that signal.

- Joe
Old 09-10-2021, 08:03 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default Update #16 Graphs Full Release

I just pushed a big update for the FocusOBD software to the website. Sensor graphing is now fully implemented! You can arbitrarily select and graph up to four sensors simultaneously. I also added the ability to change the graph color and graph line thickness.

After playing around with this feature today, I have to say it is awesome! If you are looking to learn your way around 944 engine management, this is the tool to do it with. It can show relationships between sensors which is not possible using a simple gauge. The graph feature allows you to view and compare thousands of values simultaneously in relation to one another. This makes graphing the single most powerful diagnostic tool available.

For example, in the following screen shot, I graphed RPM, AFM, MAP and the throttle switch. You can see exactly what all three sensors were doing from the split millisecond I pressed the throttle. Just by looking at this graph, the MAP sensor shows that I pressed the throttle about halfway (as seen in the first hump), held it for a bit (hump goes down), then pressed it all the way to full throttle (second hump). The throttle switch graph shows you exactly when I initially pressed the throttle and when I pressed it all the way to WOT. You can also see the exact airflow response as this was happening.

FocusOBD Software Graphing Sensors from the OBD+ SPORT DME

To change any of the above sensors, just click the ‘Settings’ button (three horizontal sliders pictured) on the left of the screen. I dialogue will appear allowing you to change to any sensor instantly as shown below:

Dialog to change sensor graphs, color and line width.

Simply click on the dropdown box and scroll through the list of available sensors. Many more sensors are currently in the works, including mass airflow, volume airflow and fuel pressure.

Select form dozens of avail be sensors for you 944.

Last edited by Ftech9; 09-10-2021 at 08:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ftech9:
riouxc (09-10-2021), SeaCay (09-11-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 08:57 PM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Excellent! Will try this tomorrow!

Charles.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:50 PM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

No upgrade to the firmware ?

Charles
Old 09-10-2021, 10:11 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by riouxc
No upgrade to the firmware ?

Charles
No Firmware upgrade this time around.

-Joe
The following users liked this post:
riouxc (09-11-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 09:24 PM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Default Results

Hello,

Is this normal ? WBO2 N/A when we get a readings ? I still have a wrong reading on the manifold pressure. I guess that the GM sensor is the same as LR includes in his MAF kit ? If I understand correctly, when the engine is not running, the barometric pressure should be roughly the same in the intake, right ?

Thanks,
Charles

Last edited by riouxc; 09-12-2021 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Added a question.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:18 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 130 Posts

AFAIK, ( and that's no too much), that Lindsey used to use a FORD sensor..But that's just hearsay..from another R-lister. I do know that Lindsey has temporarily stopped making their MAF kits, for some reason. Hopefully, they'll be running Beta testing on the upgraded kit soon...No response from LR by e-mail. Left mssgs on the phone as well. No response to that either..
riouxc (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 10:59 PM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Exclamation MAP

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
AFAIK, ( and that's no too much), that Lindsey used to use a FORD sensor..But that's just hearsay..from another R-lister. I do know that Lindsey has temporarily stopped making their MAF kits, for some reason. Hopefully, they'll be running Beta testing on the upgraded kit soon...No response from LR by e-mail. Left mssgs on the phone as well. No response to that either..
I have all the code using Moates Ostrich 2.0 emulator... Reverse engineering is quite a job... I just ordered an absolue OE GM MAP sensor on Amazon, will see about that.

LR are not to communicative now... They used to answer next day or so. I even thought there were out of business since COVID but no, there are still in active...

Charles.

Last edited by riouxc; 09-13-2021 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:45 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hello,

Is this normal ? WBO2 N/A when we get a readings ? I still have a wrong reading on the manifold pressure. I guess that the GM sensor is the same as LR includes in his MAF kit ? If I understand correctly, when the engine is not running, the barometric pressure should be roughly the same in the intake, right ?

Thanks,
Charles
Hi Charles,

I just pushed FocusOBD v0.15.176 to the website, this build has a fix for the WBO2 value in the Data Grid. There are other updates and bug fixes in this build, I will write a full post about it later in the week.

It is true that the MAP sensors do output an absolute signal relative to sea level. However, seeing relative pressure is more understandable. For example, turbo boost pressure in absolute terms would be significantly different depending on your elevation. The reason the MAP value is not exactly at 0, is because the formula I am using has a fixed value for elevation. Unless you happen to be at that elevation, the MAP sensor will read at some value other than 0. Eventually, I will get around to using the onboard barometric air pressure sensor to actively correct for elevation so the MAP sensor always reads 0 when the engine is off.

-Joe
riouxc (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 08:21 PM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ftech9
Hi Charles,

I just pushed FocusOBD v0.15.176 to the website, this build has a fix for the WBO2 value in the Data Grid. There are other updates and bug fixes in this build, I will write a full post about it later in the week.

It is true that the MAP sensors do output an absolute signal relative to sea level. However, seeing relative pressure is more understandable. For example, turbo boost pressure in absolute terms would be significantly different depending on your elevation. The reason the MAP value is not exactly at 0, is because the formula I am using has a fixed value for elevation. Unless you happen to be at that elevation, the MAP sensor will read at some value other than 0. Eventually, I will get around to using the onboard barometric air pressure sensor to actively correct for elevation so the MAP sensor always reads 0 when the engine is off.

-Joe
Hello Joe,

Still have the old version on the site :
Current Version: v0.14.172 (9/13/2021)

Charles
Old 09-14-2021, 09:11 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hello Joe,

Still have the old version on the site :
Current Version: v0.14.172 (9/13/2021)

Charles
Apologies, there was a technical issue with the firmware updater and I had to revert the previous release. The issue is now fixed and FocusOBD v0.15.177 is available for download.

-Joe

Quick Reply: 944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)