Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 04:27 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 385 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by michael7810
Having trouble connecting DME to OBD software. For starters I'm running windows 10 on a Mac using the Parallels Desktop software. I'm able to download and run the OBD software, however I get the following error and both bottom left corner lights stay red. Be patient because I'm a OS user and know zip about windows 10. Here's what I did:
Downloaded the OBD software using Windows Microsoft Edge
Installed the OBD software
Launched the OBD software (see error message)
Connected the USB cable - computer asked if I wanted USB to work with OS or Windows 10; I selected Windows 10
Turned the key on
Nothing happened- both indicator lights remained red and values N/A

Any help you can provide will be appreciated.
thanks
On a Windows PC, when this error message appears it is because the FTDI driver package is not installed. I have never tried to get the FocusOBD software to work on a Mac, assuming this is possible, you will need to download the Mac OS FTDI drivers here:

D2XX Drivers - FTDI (ftdichip.com)

Let me know if you make progress getting this to work.

- Joe
Old 08-06-2021, 06:34 PM
michael7810
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here are the files in the OBD folder -- it appears the offending file is actually there, except its FTD2XX_NET.DLL. I don't know what to do with the link you provided above for D2XX Drivers.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:35 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hi Michael,

What you are looking at is the FTDI driver for Windows. On a Windows PC, the FocusOBD software automatically installs the FTDI driver, so it needs its own copy of the FTDI driver package. Have you try downloading the Mac driver from link I provided?

Regards,

Joe
Old 08-06-2021, 11:52 PM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are the files in the OBD folder -- it appears the offending file is actually there, except its FTD2XX_NET.DLL. I don't know what to do with the link you provided above for D2XX Drivers.
Here is the driver for Mac. (dmg file)
I have a MAcBook Pro, I'll test on mine this weekend.

Charles
Attached Files
File Type: zip

Last edited by riouxc; 08-06-2021 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:10 AM
michael7810
Racer

Originally Posted by riouxc
Here is the driver for Mac. (dmg file)
I have a MAcBook Pro, I'll test on mine this weekend.

Charles
Thanks Charles - I tried copying the dmg file you provided into the Focus OBD folder (the one I pasted above) and still get the same error message. All this is way over my head as far as computer savviness goes, which is why I like the point-and-shoot simplicity of the macbook. BTW - I'm using a new Macbook with the Apple M1 processor that requires the "Windows 10 on ARM Insider Preview" OS which I had to download from Microsoft. The M1 chip doesn't work with Bootcamp so I'm using Parallels Desktop software to load the Window 10 OS. I appreciate any help you can provide to get OBD running on my Mac...as I really don't want to buy a Windows laptop just to run OBD. Thanks
Old 08-07-2021, 12:41 AM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Thanks Charles - I tried copying the dmg file you provided into the Focus OBD folder (the one I pasted above) and still get the same error message. All this is way over my head as far as computer savviness goes, which is why I like the point-and-shoot simplicity of the macbook. BTW - I'm using a new Macbook with the Apple M1 processor that requires the "Windows 10 on ARM Insider Preview" OS which I had to download from Microsoft. The M1 chip doesn't work with Bootcamp so I'm using Parallels Desktop software to load the Window 10 OS. I appreciate any help you can provide to get OBD running on my Mac...as I really don't want to buy a Windows laptop just to run OBD. Thanks
Sorry about that driver. It"s not the latest release. Here is the new one for Mac OS X10.15 and macOS 11

You must install this driver on your MacOS. I don't know if Windows running on a MAcOS will be able to see this device, this is where I will test on my Mac.

Be aware that I don't have an M1 processor and FDTI site don't have it yet. And this version is Beta...

Charles
Attached Files

Last edited by riouxc; 08-07-2021 at 01:54 AM.
Old 08-07-2021, 01:02 AM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

So far, this is what I installed on my Mac(French version... I live in Québec Canada and my first language is french :

Charles

Last edited by riouxc; 08-07-2021 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-07-2021, 01:39 AM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

So far so good.

Tested with a USB/Serial adapter, FTDI driver (as shown before) and a nice OpenSource tool called Coolterm.
I kept my finger on a key to have the send signal going (OBD+ is in my car...) Green light blinks on the RS232 adapter.

Charles
Old 08-07-2021, 02:21 AM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Exclamation FTDI on a M1 with Parallels

Read this
Q: How to get USB/serial drivers working on M1

Charles
Old 08-07-2021, 09:25 AM
michael7810
Racer

I don't think the problem is getting the Windows VM to recognize the USB port because I plugged a flash drive into the USB port, selected Windows and it shows up in windows Explorer and not on Mac OS Finder. I need to figure out how to get OBD to load the Windows FTDI drivers. I've tried reloading the drivers using the OBD tab, and pasting all the files I downloaded from ftdichip.com into the OBD folder. I'm wondering if my problem is the Windows version I'm using (unreleased Insider Preview version) is not compatible with the drivers??
Old 08-07-2021, 10:09 AM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I don't think the problem is getting the Windows VM to recognize the USB port because I plugged a flash drive into the USB port, selected Windows and it shows up in windows Explorer and not on Mac OS Finder. I need to figure out how to get OBD to load the Windows FTDI drivers. I've tried reloading the drivers using the OBD tab, and pasting all the files I downloaded from ftdichip.com into the OBD folder. I'm wondering if my problem is the Windows version I'm using (unreleased Insider Preview version) is not compatible with the drivers??
If the Mac is fully emulating Windows 10, you should be able to open Device Manager (type Device Manager is the search box) and install it by right-clicking the device and selecting "Update Driver". Navigate to the driver location using the "Browse my computer for drivers" option.

- Joe
Old 08-07-2021, 12:31 PM
michael7810
Racer

Originally Posted by Ftech9
If the Mac is fully emulating Windows 10, you should be able to open Device Manager (type Device Manager is the search box) and install it by right-clicking the device and selecting "Update Driver". Navigate to the driver location using the "Browse my computer for drivers" option.

- Joe
I found device manager; but which "device" do I select to update the drivers. Also on the bottom tab of OBD, the USB Port Driver is "N/A" should it be?

Old 08-07-2021, 06:16 PM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

I found device manager; but which "device" do I select to update the drivers. Also on the bottom tab of OBD, the USB Port Driver is "N/A" should it be?
Try this... Parallels is creating a virtual machine for Windows 10 with ARM insider(This is beta from Microsoft Dev Channel). This comes from Parallels knowledge base on how to add a serial port to the VM :
Adding USB devices through COM port to virtual machine

Your Mac should see the OBD+ as a serial port through a USB device automatically.
Hope this help.

Charles
Old 08-07-2021, 07:11 PM
michael7810
Racer

Thanks. We're away for the weekend so I'll give this a try on Monday and report back.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:44 AM
michael7810
Racer

Can somebody confirm whether in the OBD Program the N/A for USB port driver (see screen shot above) is normal or not?? Thanks

Quick Reply: 944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)