Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 12:10 PM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by michael7810
Can somebody confirm whether in the OBD Program the N/A for USB port driver (see screen shot above) is normal or not?? Thanks
This is not normal.
It indicates that it cannot communicate with OBD+ with the serial connector.

Charles
Old 08-08-2021, 01:06 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 386 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by michael7810
Can somebody confirm whether in the OBD Program the N/A for USB port driver (see screen shot above) is normal or not?? Thanks
Charles is correct, the OBD+ module needs the Port and Bus drivers installed to function. I would try removing any FTDI driver packages currently installed. This can be done by entering "Add or Remove Programs" in the search box on task bar , then selecting it from the results. Next, enter "FTDI" in the "Search, sort, and filter..." search box to filter for all instances of FTDI driver packages. Uninstall any instances you see then run the FocusOBD software. Under the "i" Information Tab, select "Re-Install Drivers" and agree with all prompts. Close the FocusOBD software and open it again to check if the Bus and Port drivers where correctly installed.

- Joe
Old 08-08-2021, 03:07 PM
michael7810
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Joe and Charles.
Old 08-08-2021, 03:18 PM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftech9
Charles is correct, the OBD+ module needs the Port and Bus drivers installed to function. I would try removing any FTDI driver packages currently installed. This can be done by entering "Add or Remove Programs" in the search box on task bar , then selecting it from the results. Next, enter "FTDI" in the "Search, sort, and filter..." search box to filter for all instances of FTDI driver packages. Uninstall any instances you see then run the FocusOBD software. Under the "i" Information Tab, select "Re-Install Drivers" and agree with all prompts. Close the FocusOBD software and open it again to check if the Bus and Port drivers where correctly installed.

- Joe
Hello Joe,

I was reading on Parallels knowledge base about this. He will need to add the serial port to Windows VM. The serial port should be reconized by MacOS without any special drivers as it is a Unix based OS that works like Linux.

He will need to add the port to the VM config like so :

The instructions are here: https://kb.parallels.com/6318
My Macbook Pro has a Intel core i7, not a M1 ARM CPU... I cannot go any further on this..

Charles
Old 08-10-2021, 01:19 PM
michael7810
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was able to add the serial port using the procedure that Charles suggested however for some reason I cannot remove the existing FTDI drivers using the Add/Remove program utility. I can find them per Joe's instructions and go through the steps to remove them however they don't go away. For the heck of it I borrowed a friends laptop (windows 10) and installed the OBD software and got the exact same problem with the drivers not loading. I then removed the drivers per Joe's instructions, opened OBD+ and reinstalled the drivers on the "i" tab and it works correctly. I get 2 green lights and it reads the DME like it should. I was able to see the coolant temp is equal to the inlet air temp with a "cold" engine (90F is cold in Phoenix this time of the year). I started the engine and let it run until the coolant temp read 181F and it seemed to correlate with the gauge markings. I recently had a cold start issue when in Santa Fe (50F & 7000 Ft ASL) that I cannot duplicate in Phoenix. It's running good for now so I'll just wait until cooler temps arrive in Phoenix and see if the problem reoccurs. I still have a few days left on the trial version of Parallels Desktop so if there's something else you can think I will see if I can get OBD to work on my M1 Macbook. Thanks again to Charles and Joe for your expertise. Cheers
Old 08-16-2021, 07:54 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Joe: My DME went out to you on Saturday via USPS, you should have by Thursday.

TY for taking the extraordinary amount of time to make really great stuff for us. (Now about that KLR unit...)
Old 08-31-2021, 09:57 AM
zoom944T
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 944 OBD Project

Any updates on MAF Controller ? Anxiously awaiting. Is current Sport DME and OBD+ compatible with methanol injection and associate controllers?
thanks for your continued efforts.

Last edited by zoom944T; 08-31-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:57 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SeaCay
Joe: My DME went out to you on Saturday via USPS, you should have by Thursday.

TY for taking the extraordinary amount of time to make really great stuff for us. (Now about that KLR unit...)

I was hoping to start on the KLR this year, but MAF and some other projects are taking longer than expected. I have a lot of enhancements to my version of the KLR planned including connectivity to the OBD+ module via the "Expansion" connector. This will enable access to control its boost regulation as well monitor knock and throttle position.

- Joe
The following users liked this post:
SeaCay (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 02:03 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by zoom944T
Any updates on MAF Controller ? Anxiously awaiting. Is current Sport DME and OBD+ compatible with methanol injection and associate controllers?
thanks for your continued efforts.
As expected, MAF is taking longer than I would like and some unrelated issues are causing delays. I have the later part of this week slated for more development on it, hopefully I will have something interesting to post this weekend.

I have not considered methanol injection, are there special requirements to support this?

-Joe
Old 09-01-2021, 02:29 PM
zoom944T
Advanced

not sure about special requirements. hoping someone will chime in. in mean time I will chat with manufacturers to get their input.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:48 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by zoom944T
not sure about special requirements. hoping someone will chime in. in mean time I will chat with manufacturers to get their input.
The OBD+ module has pins available to send and receive signals. If the methanol controller has inputs or outputs I can defenelty look at supporting whatever functionality it has.

-Joe
Old 09-01-2021, 03:14 PM
zoom944T
Advanced

from the Snow Performance website

"This kit uses manifold boost pressure to determine when and how much fluid to inject. Proportionally injecting according to boost pressure gives the most accurate delivery of water-methanol and allows the most cooling and performance improvement over the widest range. More power and driveability is the result! It can be used on any forced induction engine.The most suitable are the centrifugal supercharged and turbocharged engines, as they build boost is a more progressive manner concerning water-methanol injection. The positive displacement blower engines will work, but it might take more work to dial in the delivery. New: You can switch to a 0-5 Volt output signal from the Mass Air for injection controlling."

I am looking at adding this meth system and MAF to my track car as well as your Sport DME/obd+ setup once the MAF controller is incorporated. Just dreaming outloud to see if these systems can be made to work together on your platform.

Last edited by zoom944T; 09-01-2021 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:33 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

Dear Zoom and others: Back in the day, Oldsmobile produced a 215 cu inch (3.5L) aluminum block v-8. In 1962 and '63 they produced a model called the Jetfire. It had a Garrett turbocharger and methanol and water injection set up as well. In '63 they made only 900 of these cars. I had one..The turbo, side draft carb and the water & methanol injection were the only things on the car that weren't messed up with the car. The coachwork was great, but the frame, suspension, transmission and the rest of the engine left lots to be desired...They dropped the model in '63..Strange how things come back around. The engine was sold to the Brits and Rover picked it up, refined it, and it was used as the Rover 3500 engine for another 10-20 years. They made it so much better, but they had a lot more experience with aluminum engines than we did at that time..Just my two cents on the meth/water injection history. Good luck with your setup..it will probably be 100 times better than the one we had back in the day..
Old 09-01-2021, 06:53 PM
zoom944T
Advanced

Thanks, Tiger, for sharing your knowledge base. So interesting to learn how old some of these technologies are; and how we can still improve our "classic" rides by putting them to work.
and thanks, Joe for providing an update.

Last edited by zoom944T; 09-01-2021 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:50 AM
zoom944T
Advanced

Again, just thinking out loud, but would seem that your current work seems compatible with methanol injection system. Methanol allows running increased boost and advanced timing, therein lies the horsepower gains (?). So, via the FQS setting, all would seem well and compatible. Now, if you start working on the KLR, that may open a whole other dynamic can of whoopee.

Quick Reply: 944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)