Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbocharging a NA 944

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 07:34 AM
planedrop
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbocharging a NA 944

So I wanted to just get some more information from people on this, I have a 1983 NA Porsche 944, and sometime in the not so near future I would like to make it substantially faster. Now I know most people here will say that if I want a faster NA just buy a 951, but this is not the answer I am looking for, I am not interested in what makes the most sense financially, so please don't answer with that.

Anyway, I am interested in having that engine rebuilt and then turbocharged, but I first want to ask a few questions about that.

First I want to try and bore the engine to 3L (hope I'm using the right term there). Is this even possible on the NA and can it be made reliable and safe?

Then the usual port, polish, etc... will be done to it. After that I want to turbo charge the thing, but again, can this be done reliable and safe? One last reminder, money isn't the concern, so when I ask if it's possible to make it reliable I literally mean possible, not sensible.

Now I am assuming this would require a swap to the turbo trans, is that right?

I love my 1983 944, and it's got decent power as is, but eventually I want to dump lots of money into this (instead of a new car) to make it faster, but wanted to see just how far I can go if money is "no issue" (I mean were talking like 20K being close to the max here).

Is there anything else I would need for the swap?

And one final side question, is there anything I can do for cheap (ie under 1000 bucks) to make the NA a good amount faster in the meantime?

Thanks in advanced for any help!

Edit: oh and if the 3L mod and turbo were done, is it still going to be at least a semi smooth engine? For daily driving that is.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:22 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

This is clearly a troll thread, right?
Old 03-09-2016, 01:29 PM
Buthter
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The most important thing you'll need for any turbo conversion is a turbo encabulator. Make sure you understand how it works before picking the right one.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:56 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Problem solved.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:08 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Post 10 pictures of you car before we proceed.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:13 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

You forgot to ask what oil is best to run.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:21 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 129 Posts

Put in an engine out of an S2 if you want to go fast..If you want to go faster put in an LS# costs about 10K+ if you do it right. Send the car to Texas and they'll do it for you..still under 20 K.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:11 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never seen this question before!

Props to OP for originality and creativity.

It's a wonder no one ever asks for turbo advice or how to fit an LS motor. It seems like a great solution. I wonder why no one recommends putting a V8 in a 944 or 968??

Old 03-09-2016, 07:34 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Probably because they are scared of LSXs...

Old 03-09-2016, 08:20 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

If I had $15k for a car, I would not get a 944 to put a chevy in it. There are so many better options, including a 951.
Funny OP's name is planedrop, as if he is trying to drop a bomb by posting those questions.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:41 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why are you guys even posting?
Old 03-09-2016, 09:02 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by planedrop
I have a 1983 NA Porsche 944, and sometime in the not so near future I would like to make it substantially faster.
Gravity is your best friend - drive it over a steep cliff, and you'll reach terminal velocity in no time.

Search is your next best friend.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:11 PM
planedrop
Intermediate

Wow didn't realize how bad this forum was, might go post somewhere else. I asked a question, in detail, because I don't know a whole lot about these cars, and all I get is people being super sarcastic to me. For those of you that say I should search I have and all I have found is people saying to get a turbo, and I know that's the best answer, but that was never my question. My question is, WITHOUT getting a turbo can I turbo the NA? I know it's more expensive, I know it's not logical, but that was never my question.

This is not a troll thread, I am very serious, I love the 944 and would love to do more to it a few years from now, so I wanted to ask if it was even possible before even thinking about planning to save money for that.

As for my name being Planedrop it's my name on pretty much every site, I came up with that like 10 years ago and it's never used anywhere (unless it's me) which is nice, hence the reason I use it. Never have to add numbers to it.

Anyway, back on subject, if you want me to post pictures of the car, I can do that. I am assuming you want them for "proof" that I even own one, so I can do that if you want. I'm just curious about the performance things that can be done to this engine, if money isn't really a concern, I love the 944's dearly so making one incredibly fast would be awesome.

Thanks to anyone that actually posts something useful and helps answer my question instead of calling me a liar, idiot, etc... To all of you that think it's dumb then just ignore this thread, I want real answers. Like I clearly stated in the thread, I know it's not the obvious solution, but again, my question isn't what's the obvious, cheapest, most logical solution.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:17 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Nobody here means to personally offend you - it's just such a cliche that people ask almost verbatim what you posted, there have to be dozens if not hundreds of threads. Have you thought to ponder WHY people say buy a 951? Because unless you are having everything custom fabricated, you are basically going to end up buying a bunch of parts that convert you to a 951 for a lot of time/labor/room for error. If you want to do everything custom for $20k, that's awesome, but I hope you're prepared to engineer everything or put it in hands of a performance shop...not rennlist.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:47 PM
planedrop
Intermediate

Originally Posted by odonnell
Nobody here means to personally offend you - it's just such a cliche that people ask almost verbatim what you posted, there have to be dozens if not hundreds of threads. Have you thought to ponder WHY people say buy a 951? Because unless you are having everything custom fabricated, you are basically going to end up buying a bunch of parts that convert you to a 951 for a lot of time/labor/room for error. If you want to do everything custom for $20k, that's awesome, but I hope you're prepared to engineer everything or put it in hands of a performance shop...not rennlist.
Seemed to me that people kinda were lol, but yeah I get why people say that, and I tried to make that clear in the post that I know a 951 is a lot cheaper, more logical, and more reliable. But I think doing all the other stuff is fun honestly, engineering it, rebuilding it, etc... is fun stuff so that's the reason I ask. I don't mind spending the money to make it faster. So judging by this it seems that it's indeed possible? The reason I ask that so much is that there are some cases where turboing an NA engine will destroy it, even with a rebuild being done first. Are the 944 and 951 the same engine, just with the turbo added? Is virtually everything else identical? Or are the connecting rods, etc... bigger/stronger on the 951? Stuff like that is what I want to get info on.

Quick Reply: Turbocharging a NA 944