Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1983 Porsche 944 Garage find (29 yr hibernation)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 11:07 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You mentioned a dash protector :

I recommend several ways to approach a 'protection' to the vinyl so it will NOT crack.

- Keep it from any U/V exposure if at all possible, including covering the entire car with a Porsche Silver knit weave bag when left outside. Limit the exposure to driving time only......

OR,
- Cover the dash immediately with a long white beach towel when ever leaving the car outside for short duration.
- Buy a 'DASH-MAT' velour cover or use a anti-reflectant sun guard propped inside the glass. I would not glue down or paste the attachment Velcro to the surface, but leave the mat loose on top. I use these in my uncracked early series and second series cars with no issues other than a bit of inconvenience.
- But above all, keep the dash surface clean with a wipe down in the shade with just a wet cotton cloth and drying with a towel. Adding the product VINYLEX made by Lexol to keep any vinyl oils fresh in the material, thus limiting a drying out which will promote cracking when exposed to heat and U/V.
DO NOT use the product Armor All. It only is a product made to retail for profit. It does NOTHING for the vinyl material other than render a fake and temporary shine, but will also promote drying and discoloring when exposed to sunload. Ask any Porsche Club concour participant what their thoughts are on Armor All, and most likely you will get an immediate and disparaging reply on it's complete and worthless range of dysfunction.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:14 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

One other note as I look thru your photos:

I notice you still retain the original PORSCHE battery made by VARTA for Porsche.
I encourage you to keep it for reference / nostalgia if at all possible ( I also still have mine which came in my '84 that I ordered out new ).

You most likely will NEVER see another ! ( by the way, do you also still have the black plastic top plate which snapped fit over the top of it ? )
Old 11-10-2015, 04:45 AM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Great story/photos/car and comments by mrgreenjeans. In on epic thread.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:22 PM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
You mentioned a dash protector : I recommend several ways to approach a 'protection' to the vinyl so it will NOT crack. - Keep it from any U/V exposure if at all possible, including covering the entire car with a Porsche Silver knit weave bag when left outside. Limit the exposure to driving time only...... OR, - Cover the dash immediately with a long white beach towel when ever leaving the car outside for short duration. - Buy a 'DASH-MAT' velour cover or use a anti-reflectant sun guard propped inside the glass. I would not glue down or paste the attachment Velcro to the surface, but leave the mat loose on top. I use these in my uncracked early series and second series cars with no issues other than a bit of inconvenience. - But above all, keep the dash surface clean with a wipe down in the shade with just a wet cotton cloth and drying with a towel. Adding the product VINYLEX made by Lexol to keep any vinyl oils fresh in the material, thus limiting a drying out which will promote cracking when exposed to heat and U/V. DO NOT use the product Armor All. It only is a product made to retail for profit. It does NOTHING for the vinyl material other than render a fake and temporary shine, but will also promote drying and discoloring when exposed to sunload. Ask any Porsche Club concour participant what their thoughts are on Armor All, and most likely you will get an immediate and disparaging reply on it's complete and worthless range of dysfunction.

Many thanks for your posts. I appreciate your advice and insight. I will confirm whether the clutch has been changed out. If not, I will ask to hold off. I know it was ordered, but not sure if the mechanic was waiting on making sure the car starts.

I will also order some vinylex.

I plan on searching threads for differences between early and late 83 models. It's my understanding that the 944 was originally designed by Porsche for Audi, and when Audi canceled the project Porsche built it and badge it as a Porsche. Not sure if that is true, but what I heard from some 944 owners.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:45 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

I am not sure how crazy you want to go on things regarding preservation and saving 'originality', but that old water pump that was taken off, may well be the last 'original' left on this orb, date codes and all.

A note on another item seldom seen any more and something a Concours Judge will eyeball right away, is the little black rubber vent that comes out the bottom of the spare tire well, seen in post #56's photo. They are hardly EVER seen today, as they are quite vulnerable to getting bumped out and lost or dried up and cracked, then falling out.

So along with you finding the original black plastic battery topper ( which will most likely never fit on a replacement battery again ), your original VARTA battery, the rubber vent tube in wheel well, the little foil bag with antennae cleaner in the glove box, the red tool bag, the plastic drop cloth if still stowed in the wheel well, the little bag with spare lug nut inside, the original plastic card with dealer name and original owner's name in the warranty book/owner's manual, the other thing you may wish to keep an eye out for is the little t-shaped vent rubbers in the drain holes in both back wheel wells. And, the cardboard air pump and instructions which should be inside the wheel wells or spare tire area, with a few attachments present for airing up beach ***** or air mattresses. The box is black, white, yellow in colors and if wet, will go to pieces quickly and mould will destroy it.

One other thing: Sometimes if the car got 'test miles' at the factory, there will be a yellow hang tag, along with a stereo hang tag and a leather/ cloth cleaning advisory tag that will somehow NOT have gotten thrown away. You may have them in your paperwork in the glovebox.

My '84 purchased new by me, had a yellow hang tag with the kilometers / miles written on it and signed off by a test engineer at the Factory. Dated. And, accompanied by a check off paper in the glove box of all the items he noted when doing the run thru while inspecting/testing. I have them both with all the other little items that came with it on delivery.

Including: the first waterpump I removed at 68,000 miles. It is datecoded about a month before my car was built...... yeah, I am a little ocd / nuts.

On the creation of our car, it was actually first the 924 commissioned by VW/Audi to have Porsche design for the VW lineup, a car with 'sporting intent' using an engine by VW/Audi. VW let Porsche keep it for themselves when inside politics and financials made things difficult to retain and market it.
For Porsche the 924 was a marketing success, then the later built 944 utilized a wider design , flared fenders, a Porsche engine ( 1/2 the 928's V/8 ) and was a further development ushered in by the racing successes of the 924 Carrera GT. That car's look influenced the stance of the 944.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:15 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

One other quick thing about that original foam under the hood: it is VERY fragile and will crumble if you even consider looking at it sideways thru a blindfold.

Resist all urges to touch it or brush against it.

At this point in it's life it has no 'memory' to return to a former semblance of self, and the scarring of it will be a painful reminder of what ever you did, only to haunt your thoughts each time you open the hood.
Ask me how I know this ..........)-;
Old 11-13-2015, 06:29 AM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
So along with you finding the original black plastic battery topper ( which will most likely never fit on a replacement battery again ), your original VARTA battery, the rubber vent tube in wheel well, the little foil bag with antennae cleaner in the glove box, the red tool bag, the plastic drop cloth if still stowed in the wheel well, the little bag with spare lug nut inside, the original plastic card with dealer name and original owner's name in the warranty book/owner's manual, the other thing you may wish to keep an eye out for is the little t-shaped vent rubbers in the drain holes in both back wheel wells. And, the cardboard air pump and instructions which should be inside the wheel wells or spare tire area, with a few attachments present for airing up beach ***** or air mattresses. The box is black, white, yellow in colors and if wet, will go to pieces quickly and mould will destroy it.

One other thing: Sometimes if the car got 'test miles' at the factory, there will be a yellow hang tag, along with a stereo hang tag and a leather/ cloth cleaning advisory tag that will somehow NOT have gotten thrown away. You may have them in your paperwork in the glovebox.
Thanks mrgreenjeans for the details.

Attached are some pics of the owner's manual, warranty book with in service date, antenna cloth written in German, and an air pressure gage. Not sure if this air pressure gage came with the car or if it was aftermarket purchased at the dealer.

Also, attached is a pic of the spare tire area and the left/right storage compartment with the sunroof drain tubes. I didn't remove the spare tire, but I see some spare related tools in the pic.

I am keeping all original parts, airfilters, etc. My mechanic oiled the cylinders and said the engine hand cranked with ease. So, we will attempt to start the car on Saturday as that's the soonest I can be there due to my work schedule.

My Porsche dealer recommended a paint less dent repair guy to remove the driver's door dings and he came out yesterday to attempt to remove the dings, but said that the drivers door dings were on a body line and when he attempted to remove one the clear coat paint was starting to crack. There are a bunch of driver's door dings as the car sat in the PO's garage and received dings when he parked next to it and opened another car door into it. Oh well...

So, i can either remove the dings and get the door repainted or i can leave as is. I think for now i will focus on getting the car started and then figure out what to do with the dings. I'm inclined to leave as is as its only original once. Thoughts?
Attached Images         
Old 11-13-2015, 10:33 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

GREAT photo documentation !

One NEVER sees that air gauge and plastic pouch any more..... ( it should have a part number printed in silver on the pouch ) and that foil wrapped antennae wiper is a thing of beauty. Both were delivered new in the glove box on the first sale to me on my M456 - 944. I had to really search for replacements to the other 944s many years ago, on those cars I added later to the group, as not all had survived the care of the previous ownerships. Only several came with the items still in the glovebox and had to go to eBay about 10 years ago to find the other replacements. I would be surprised if possible today ......
That little spare nut is also one which gets lost or used also.

Treasure those little details ~

As to the PDR guy.... I would try someone else who can go into the door and do the deed with a tool to 'kick' out the dents , as the glue stick treatment on pulling may be the ticket to some dents, but on old clear coat, it is going to crack the paint. The really only way to get them out is pressure applied to the backside, not pulling power from the front surface.

I don't know where you are in relation to this shop, but these guys are BEYOND spectacular and come highly regarded in owner repair satisfaction. So I will give them some free advert !

DentKraft in Mpls. ( actually Wayzata, MN. They specialize in high end cars, love Porsches, and are members and advertisers to our local Porsche Club, NordStern of PCA. I recently had two cars attended to by them and will attest they are some incredibly knowledgeable folks with a sincere and caring attitude.
Perfection is their byword. Don Kavanaugh is your man to see, and Dan is his go to guy when Don isn't available. GREAT folks.

Best wishes with the start up this weekend, and thanks again for the photos !
Old 11-14-2015, 11:41 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Just a few more comments as I look thru your photos ~

There is a lot, as in ALOT of duct tape on those wheel well arches, as opposed to those seen in my cars. Kind of humorous really, as I can see them coming to the end of a roll of that PVC piping which drains the sunroof valleys, and needing to use more to 'correct' the kinks in the vinyl tube as it routes out to the wheel wells ! ( it was not all that uncommon for new cars to have a problem with the tubes coming undone or kinking in the 'a' or 'c' pillar. Shortly after getting my car in '84, after I had hand washed it, I notice when opening the sunroof to dry it with a towel, there was a huge amount of water in the trough. I asked the service guy at our Dealership about that and it got repaired right away under warranty. They found a tube in the right side 'a' pillar had kinked upon assembly and didn't allow water to pass out to the ground via the tubing. This could have been really bad if caught in a rainstorm, allowing water to flood into the car past the water seals around the roof and wet the interior. I wonder how often this really happened to other cars, or if mine was an anomaly ? I have heard of far more situations where the tubes come unhooked from the nipple at the end where it meets up to the sunroof valley, and the wetting inside ruins the car or the electronics.

A few other notes on differences on 82/83 cars versus later series ones :

- the green vacuum canister, as they later became black
- the 7 inch wheel width on Cookies by ATS AND the 16 inch FUCHS wheels. Staggered 7 and 8s came later in 15 inch for '84
- manual steering and manual sunroof, also manual antennae on l.f. fender of early cars versus power on all later offerings as standard equipment
- metal gas door on exterior versus the later appearing plastic doors seen after '85.1 models changed to the '85.2 models
- fasten seat belt sign and brake light on console changed to different look in '84
- no upshift light in center binnacle ( came about in '84 )
- different graining on vinyl door cards and areas in back seat , cards covering the speakers in back
- prop rod slot on only the earliest cars seen on inner left front fender well
- decals under hood are different
- early series cars had a welded in nose panel versus bolt in on later cars
- manual release handle for hood is different on early cars
- no electric release for rear hatch, keyed opener only is used on first cars
- carpeting texture and backing is different on series one from series two in back hatch area
- waffle pattern foam backing under hood changed, and even later became non existent
- One of the most intriguing and noticeable items was the PORSCHE script door tops embossed in the vinyl above the door cards. A carryover from the 931 cars, it was dropped in favor of the smooth door top about a hundred serial numbers lower than my 2406.

I at one time owned # 0236, and it was quite different yet from my '82 built model year '83. It was made about 5 months before and should have had a better life ; it was simply deplorable. Rusted everywhere, ill running, dog tracking, wrong engine, dented and repainted a number of times before I came across it. Battery box was completely ate up and destroying the firewall as well. It went down the road to a guy who was far more desirous of the restoration than I, and today it is parked yet in the woods slowly returning to mother earth. A crime.

I wrote about these changes once on 944online Forum ( google it ), citing these and quite a few more changes, a few years ago. Along with some of the more unusual parts and options one could get on these cars over the counter ( such as steel 6 inch snow wheels, an option for seat height adjustability by shims --- an actual Porsche part number, and things such as an adjustable/expandable net in the back to hold down the groceries or soccer ***** ( roll eyes ) in the hatch, a bike rack on roof, ski rack attachment, etc.

Not really for this forum page here and it's content, but I also own a sunroof delete '84 which a PCA instructor specially ordered out new with more than just the sunroof cut out of the equation. It came with a whole list of deletes, including rear wiper, console, power mirrors, stereo, gas cap lock, nomenclature on the rear denoting 944, insulation and sound deadening, cigarette lighter , rear hatch cover rollup shade, foglites, and on and on. He wanted it as light as possible for track duty....... so it seems there are more than a few mysteries concerning options on our cars. They are many and quite intriguing; just as the manufacturer Porsche is and always will be.

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 11-14-2015 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:37 PM
CTK
Rennlist Member

That's great info mrgreenjeans. You have a ton of 944 knowledge. I will definitely PM you to pick your brain.

My mechanic needed to reschedule the re-awakening to next week. Bummed, I was looking forward to doing it today.

Attached are pics of the vintage air pressure gage.

Yeah, the duct tape is original to the car. I asked the PO and he recalled it and thought it was tacky. But the color matches the car. Lol. I'm leaving the duck tape in place for sure!

The paintless dent guy tried to remove the dings by inserting a tool down the driver's window gap and gently removing the dings. his first attempt. He was the #1 PDR guy the Porsche dealer referred. I can always get a second opinion, but because the dents are on a body line and the paint is old, I am not sure I can get them removed without damaging the paint. So, I will do more research as to the options

Two of my cookie cutter wheels need the chrome lip refinished as there is some corrosion on the there. I will take the wheels to a shop to see if they can be refinished.

Thanks to all for your insight.
Attached Images     
Old 11-14-2015, 08:05 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Yep,
that is the O.E. air pressure gauge !
Note the ZVW part prefix..... I always figured it had something to do with Volkswagen, but don't know. Since they were the import arm for Audi and Porsche into America at that point in time, it has some possibilities. Anyone on this forum able to answer this ?

My brother bought a new GTI Rabbit in St.Paul that same year ( '84 ) and also still owns it. I think he has 40,000 on it now. But anyway, he did NOT get a similar gauge in his car so maybe my thinking is skewed.

I bought an '84 - Audi 4000 Limited Edition Sport in Zermatt ( used ) quite a few years ago, but it doesn't have that gauge either, even tho it's a pretty complete car. ( the L.E. was a very small ( less than 500 ? ) -- limited number imported into America and came with few color options other than Zermatt and dark blue cloth interior. I have been told they were all sticks with heavy bolstered seats and spoilers front and rear ---- just for any Audi enthusiasts of vintage persuasion, if interested ).

I add this because our 944s and Audis all trickled out of the Audi factory in Neckarsulm, just a short distance away from Stuttgart where 911s and 928s were constructed. I think a lot of part sharing, paint, cloth, vinyl, etc. was expected between the three makers, Audi, Porsche, VW.

CTK: look for a private message in your inbox ~

as to the wheel refinishing, I recommend Harvey Weidman @ Weidman Wheel Refinishing in northern California. He is mostly known for his show quality refinishes and is a Porsche perfectionist. Am guessing those 'lathe cut' rim edges got ruined on the front wheels from brake dusting, causing the clear coating to erode, darken, and peel. They are quite durable, but need cleaning ( P-21S , or the Porsche Branded wheel cleaner) to preserve the like new appearance, then a coat of wax; On FUCHS wheels, Porsche recommends using petroleum jelly or Vaseline to be rubbed into the anodized wheels for preservation. And NO Automatic car wash soaps, dog ****, bird droppings, or harsh aluminum wheel cleaners or the wheel will streak or become 'milky' looking. BEST wishes..... and give Harvey a ring. The best in the business , bar none.

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 11-16-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:03 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is all great info as I'm restoring an83 in blue. Good to know what was stock!
Old 11-14-2015, 10:40 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

MGJ, the ZVW parts were distributed thru Volkswagen North America and were outside the normal factory VW replacement parts system. Accessories with a ZVW suffix such as this gauge, car polish, floor mats, shift *****, etc. were sold under the trade name "Autobahn" at VW dealers. While in college I worked in a VW dealership parts department in the early 70's. My 84's air compressor wears a ZVW part number. These items when included with the car were added "candy" here in the USA.

Last edited by jhowell371; 11-14-2015 at 10:54 PM. Reason: correction
Old 11-14-2015, 11:21 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Jhowell

Do you not think ALL 944s of this vintage ( '82-'83-'84-'85.1 ) or the series 1 cars, got this piece added , because the type of compressor used didn't have a gauge affixed on it, as the later series 2 cars came with (black plastic case with Porsche imprinted on it) ?

I recall seeing them also with 911s of this vintage, those using the black and white compressor which came in the yellow and black cardboard box..... not sure about the 928 cars.

I remember the Autobahn name from back in the day...... it came on the antifreeze branded for use with Porsches and Audis. I may even have a few vintage containers yet in the garage. ( I don't throw anything away ).

/-;}
Old 11-15-2015, 12:27 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

You have a point MGJ, to pump up your spare you would need that gauge for proper pressure in true German fashion. Next time I see the PO I will ask him about the gauge. It may still be in his tool box Guess I should have saved my 1984's original belts and water pump which were changed in 2010. Spark plugs, cap, and wires were original too.

Quick Reply: 1983 Porsche 944 Garage find (29 yr hibernation)