Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 02:21 PM
drive135mph
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 0.02 Cents

The LS series are so cool because all the parts interchange between engine and they make bonkers power for the cost

(NOTE: this explanation excludes a lot of information see ( http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/f16...-questions-faq ) for the whole shakedown)

There is nothing stopping you from popping 4.8 pistons into a 5.3 lm4 ($300) and having 10:1 compression, Swipe some l33, heads off a 04 pick-up which are basically ls6 heads and have a good breathing base line.
You could steal the intake off and accessories off your buddy's f-body while he's "shotgunning a natty-lite" and find a cam from a LQ9 truck, with some modified hooker headers, a harness, a clutch from a late 60's Plymouth and a c5 vette bell housing, the beast nearly fits in the 944. An adapter for the torque tube and a brake booster delete you pretty much there. You have a engine that is deep in the 350hp region all from salvage yard part and should be rather reliable and the whole rig weighs 80lb more than the old set up.

oh and if you want to play the turbo game with this engine: (
)The dude who built this is on Hybridz forums and is a wealth on knowledge on the subject.

It will be all kinds of cool but one thing it won't be is a Porsche....

If you are looking for a cool Porsche-esque power upgrade I would point you to the audi 20v turbo that our cars nearly got, or a 951 engine. However, if you are looking for a cool project and are ok with the fact that this is going to be a hot-rod based on a Porsche there is nothing that approaches the LS engines for reliability, weight or power.

In other news: I can e-mail you my spreadsheet, if you would like, detailing all the parts needed for the swap, their costs and their sources. My spreadsheet accounts for the fact that I have access to a milling machine and fabrication tools but still might help clear things up. PM me if you decide that's something you'd be interested in.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 09-01-2014, 06:12 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
This. no point regurgitating everything. The hybrids board has plenty of information for you to answer your questions. You will have to figure some stuff out on your own, but the bulk of the information is available there.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:31 PM
V996
Racer

Od, while I plan to swap my 968, I think you're going a bit overboard on the NA 924S/944 and its reliability. My 924S is such a smooth, no weird creaky noise ride... really strong engine. I don't plan to ever swap it unless I get a random catastrophic failure. If she keeps ticking I'll keep driving her as a DD. Then again, I was used to driving 90s Civics and Contours before I got this car, so I wasn't yearning for power like a lot of you.

Most people seem to be able to keep them on the road if they have a bit of know how.. or if they have none at all and hand the keys to a shop. And more importantly, aren't trying to squeeze way too much power out of them.

I'd say the high rate of attrition on the FORUMS is due to the fact that so many owners buy these cheap *** cars with the intent of modding them like crazy because they see so much potential in the well handling design. And those modders end up on forums like this. Not the DDers like myself. Most of the DDers like me aren't spending their life on this forum... I only do because I love Porsche and I love this line of car... and I am an internet kid, I was raised on it, lol.

Meanwhile 50-60 year old joe schmo out there just takes it out for a quick spin on Sundays and hands the keys to a local experienced shop to take care of the stuff that comes up. Rather than tackling every problem by themselves and possibly ****ing things up.

Last edited by V996; 09-01-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:48 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

yes. I'm buying all of what your saying.

I appreciate the post..... I'm at about 98.7%.....

1 thing though... with the exception of the 968 which is has been granted permanent immunity by the car gods,

I pretty much have zero-confidence in the spazzy ignition/electrical systems on the 944s.

they're just not reliable. effing Bosch sucks. but, to be fair, that's not necessarily the problem here. electrical systems from all the '80s cars are pretty much fried nowadays.

still, Bosch sucks the big one in the 3rd millennium.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:45 AM
JJR512
Instructor

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
This. no point regurgitating everything. The hybrids board has plenty of information for you to answer your questions. You will have to figure some stuff out on your own, but the bulk of the information is available there.
I'm a member there, too, and have yet to find a single set of all-encompassing instructions with every single step explicitly detailed and including a complete detailed parts list that says exactly what to use and where to get it.

It's because of that forum and another one like it that I started that this thread in the first place.

That forum is great if I want to read 10-20 pages on one person building his car, what the problems were, the workarounds, etc. What I'm looking for is a more condensed set of instructions as I described, with the story removed.

Oh, I read several of the stories, and enjoyed reading them. They were very informative, but not very instructional.

Like I said, I'm looking to skip the trial-and-error part and just want to do it.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:56 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i'll post the complete and elective parts list.... it's a fairly long list.
I'm doing a little organizing, but i'll have it up in a few hours.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:27 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
yes. I'm buying all of what your saying. I appreciate the post..... I'm at about 98.7%..... 1 thing though... with the exception of the 968 which is has been granted permanent immunity by the car gods, I pretty much have zero-confidence in the spazzy ignition/electrical systems on the 944s. they're just not reliable. effing Bosch sucks. but, to be fair, that's not necessarily the problem here. electrical systems from all the '80s cars are pretty much fried nowadays. still, Bosch sucks the big one in the 3rd millennium.
Wow, I never thought the day would come when I would hearing such things about Bosch. Are you telling me the American cars have better electronics? Last I remember, most of the components last at most 75k miles, be it alternator, starter etc. all the harness connectors suck and are the major cause of electrical issues.

This has been my experience. Please correct me if I got this wrong. Also, who else makes better electronics?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:47 AM
V996
Racer

Od I agree with you about the electrical. But saying that I think if you did a complete overhaul of the wiring and fuses you would have a really well sorted, reliable car.

It's just not cheap or quick to do that so most of us deal with issues as they come up.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:03 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Wow, I never thought the day would come when I would hearing such things about Bosch. Are you telling me the American cars have better electronics? Last I remember, most of the components last at most 75k miles, be it alternator, starter etc. all the harness connectors suck and are the major cause of electrical issues.

This has been my experience. Please correct me if I got this wrong. Also, who else makes better electronics?
Bosch stuff is really hit or miss. I do try and replace with Bosch items, but sometimes shake my head at how early they fail.

Everyone has different experiences, but I put almost 200k miles on a 2000 jeep grand cherokee, 150k on my 2500HD chevy, have about 100k on my wrangler, and have never replaced an alternator/starter/ or anything else electronic for that matter. My dad had to finally replace the alternator on his expedition at 145k miles, and he was so pissed that he sold the truck because it was going to hell. I told him, Dad, Porsche guys replace their alternators about every 40k miles.

I make my living by working on Porsches, but I drive American vehicles so I don't have to ever work on my own cars. Change the oil and other general consumable items and that is about it.

Originally Posted by JJR512
I'm a member there, too, and have yet to find a single set of all-encompassing instructions with every single step explicitly detailed and including a complete detailed parts list that says exactly what to use and where to get it.

It's because of that forum and another one like it that I started that this thread in the first place.

That forum is great if I want to read 10-20 pages on one person building his car, what the problems were, the workarounds, etc. What I'm looking for is a more condensed set of instructions as I described, with the story removed.

Oh, I read several of the stories, and enjoyed reading them. They were very informative, but not very instructional.

Like I said, I'm looking to skip the trial-and-error part and just want to do it.
If you need play by play instructions, then tackling an engine swap isn't for you. Yes, all the information is there, you have to dig a little. People are going to use slightly different stuff on each build, there is no 1 way to do it.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:33 PM
JJR512
Instructor

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
If you need play by play instructions, then tackling an engine swap isn't for you. Yes, all the information is there, you have to dig a little. People are going to use slightly different stuff on each build, there is no 1 way to do it.
I don't see why that needs to be true. Lots of car repairs and maintenance use play-by-play instructions. An engine swap should be no different. All it takes is for someone to actually condense what's already been tried into a set of step-by-step instructions. If someone wants to deviate from the basic plan, that's up to them, of course.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:56 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

If I were to do another build then it would make sense to go through several hundred photos and several hundred pages of documentation to construct a how-to manual, but I'm not and thats a lot of work for no return. Doing an LS swap is an adventure and if thats not for you then call Eric at Texas Performance Concepts and he'll do the work for you.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:21 PM
bumflick
Racer

No such thing as too much power. Just not enough tire or brakes or downforce.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

All it takes is for someone to actually condense what's already been tried into a set of step-by-step instructions.
And who is going to do it? Those who could easily write the instructions are busy building cars for others. Not enough people doing the swap for someone to bother writing a book with the hopes of making a small amount of cash.

This ones for Doc :-)

Step 1. Write check
Step 2. Wait three months
Step 3. Pick up car
Old 09-02-2014, 11:21 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

I don't see why that needs to be true. Lots of car repairs and maintenance use play-by-play instructions. An engine swap should be no different. All it takes is for someone to actually condense what's already been tried into a set of step-by-step instructions. If someone wants to deviate from the basic plan, that's up to them, of course.
Originally Posted by Lemming
And who is going to do it? Those who could easily write the instructions are busy building cars for others. Not enough people doing the swap for someone to bother writing a book with the hopes of making a small amount of cash...
Greg Sloan did one a few years back, ISBN 978-1-4276-4406-0 2009 148 pages, though it's mostly out of date now and better info is available online. Here's my copy:

Old 09-03-2014, 11:17 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

Except Greg Sloan is a thief and the book is fairly useless other than providing a list of parts to use.

Quick Reply: LS1 conversion