Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 944 is no more. =(

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 03:20 PM
83 944
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My 944 is no more. =( UPDATE: Pictures

UPDATE: Pictures

well guys thats it for this 944. 83 car. euro pistons, worked head, headers, full exhaust. bilsteins all around coil overs all around. 951 brakes, 86 aluminum rear control arms, 968 mirrors, box rockers a real FOHA front slitter lip, euro rep rear bumper, 951 rear valance. almost new black interior,931 scripted door card, except carpet wasnt new. 86 turbo front re upholstered seats. 951 sways rear harness/C pillar car.

just about all gone... had this car for 6 years and put everything i had in it.

Well my younger sister got married last night. it was a great day. Same night i then picked up my little brother who is 11 and was following my older brother and his fiance to tampa for a Renaissance festival the following day. and i notice i went through gas like nothing and was pulling off for gas when POOF. i got myself and my little brother safely away from the car then i went back for everything i could salvage but within 3 mins the whole car was gone head to toe in flame.

REPLACE FUEL LINES PEOPLE!!!! ASK ME HOW I KNOW!!

i saved my almost brand new hatch carpet a bag of clothes, ipad knife watch iphone. but i forgot my damn wallet

well his some pics enjoy the charcoal ill put more up later today when i go see the car at my other house. then you can really see the carnage.

enjoy the car before last night

Last edited by 83 944; 03-04-2014 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Update Pictures
Old 03-01-2014, 03:33 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Ow, that sucks. Sorry to hear about this.

But yeah, I'm paranoid about my fuel lines (even moreso than the belts!). This is why.

I'm glad that you and your little brother are ok, tho. That's the most important part!

BB.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Ow ****..

Sorry for your loss. But on the bright side, nobody got hurt.

Turbo time!
Old 03-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn that blows! Are you going to buy it back from the insurance company and salvage the pistons, head, etc?
Old 03-01-2014, 04:12 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is painful, but as others suggested, buy it back from the insurance company and part it out yourself - you will learn A LOT !!! about these cars and how they go together, and with the help of ebay you will get a fair amount of $ back because many parts will still be good. You will throw away (well, recycle) the burned hood and fenders, but you will find wheels, transmission and stuff like that are probably fine. And you will get a good selection of metric hardware. Soak things that smell of fire in TSP solution, that helps, and if you have an ultrasonic cleaner, that will get small parts clean. You will probably find that your engine is actually OK, only exterior cosmetic damage, and maybe a melted manifold, but you won't know until you take it apart. I parted out an S that met an unfortunate demise and came close to breaking even on what I had in it.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:13 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

very sorry for your loss.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:29 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

This was the car I always looked up to as I was building my 944. RIP. If you're parting it out, I'm interested in your suspension setup if it's salvagable.

This thread really worries me about my 83 with original fuel lines... Let me know where the source of the leak was (if it's even possible to find) - the 83s have a different fuel line system and I was under the impression that they are almost impossible to catch fire...
Old 03-01-2014, 04:57 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Butters944

This was the car I always looked up to as I was building my 944. RIP. If you're parting it out, I'm interested in your suspension setup if it's salvagable.

This thread really worries me about my 83 with original fuel lines... Let me know where the source of the leak was (if it's even possible to find) - the 83s have a different fuel line system and I was under the impression that they are almost impossible to catch fire...
Seconded. I thought the early cars were fairly safe from fire, so any info you can provide is very much appreciated.

I'm very sorry for your loss, it was a beautiful car.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:11 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never want to see a Porsche suffer that fate. Glad you guys are OK. Buy another and start over.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:38 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Precisely why my next purchase is seat mounted fire extinguisher!
Old 03-01-2014, 05:41 PM
83 944
Pro

Thank you all for your kind words.

William B. im actually a automotive master tech for 6 years. everything thats done on my 944 was done by my hands. i built the motor. suspension, and upholstered the interior myself. (except the front seats) i did the head liner, sun roof rear panels, consoles everything. upholstery is one of my side hobbies. and ive parted many of these cars myself and built race 951s.

yes i will be buying the car. yes the drivetrain should be fine to an extent. all bilstein coils, 951 sways, 951 brakes spindles and hubs, one side skirt euro bumper can be saved. FOHA front lip with someone who is decent with molds can make a replica from it. LSD should be fine.

and yeah turbo swap finally! haha ill buy another shell swap what i can. and i still have enough parts to build 4 951 engines! haha but enough parts that i havent sold to do a complete swap.

i will be purchasing an 03 986 S ive had my eyes on one for quite some time. and of course get another 944 to show your some of negative nancys that an 83 944 can be a turbo and better! ive done it all before and it all can be done on the cheap if you just wait for the deals which they come quite often in this wonderful community!!

thank all again for all your support and kind words wish me luck!

oh and yes it was the supple fuel line for sure. i knew it needed replacing i just neglected longer than i should have. easy to replace just remove the brake booster cut the swaging really good german hose clamp over the barbs and your fine. they arent high pressure systems youll be safe.

thanks again all ill keep you posted!
Old 03-01-2014, 05:43 PM
83 944
Pro

and Keith. i know man we have shared a lot of the years and ill be more than willing to help you with anything you need and anyone else for that matter. im getting all pictures and details up soon for the write ups on how to swap all turbo/ 968 parts on and early cars!! so stay tuned and be patient youll benefit very soon
Old 03-01-2014, 06:10 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to read this, but I'm glad to hear you and your brother got out OK. Good luck with building the next one!
Old 03-01-2014, 06:35 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow...so sorry to read this. My deepest condolences, went through something similar 2 years back with my 951, I was lucky in that I managed to save the car. Please everyone replace your fuel lines, wrap your header to keep the heat off them, and carry a fire extinguisher. If you smell raw fuel its because hey...you're getting raw fuel somewhere! Play is safe everyone.

Glad you and your brother were OK OP. Losing material items sucks, but its nothing compared to a life.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:17 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Very sorry for your loss, I've always admired your wheel/body color combo.
EVERYONE on this board should have a fire extinguisher mounted in their car where its easily accessible.

Quick Reply: My 944 is no more. =(