Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 944 is no more. =(

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:32 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Sorry to hear about your 944. That's awful man. Would love to see pics of your new 951 though!!!
Old 03-25-2014, 11:34 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was definitely bummed out about the fire damage on Mike's 83. He called me while it was on fire to share his frustration while waiting for the firemen to extinguish it. I look back and laugh because I remember the conversation went something exactly like this:

Mike calls super late, like close to midnight.
Me: Hey what's up.
Mike: MY CAR IS ON FIRE, THAT'S WHAT'S UP.
Me: Uhhh..... what??
Mike: MY CAR CAUGHT ON FIRE AND IS COMPLETELY BURNT TO THE GROUND, EVERYTHING IS GONE!!!
Me: Ummm...... Are you serious??!
Mike: YEA, AND DUDE THE FIRE PEOPLE ARE TAKING THEIR DAMN TIME PUTTING IT OUT!!!
Me: Uhhhh....
Mike: HANG ON.... Let me call you back.... *Click*

Me:

Anyhow, as sad as that week was, the opportunity which arose to get a nice 951 was finally a reality because of it. Mike is long overdue for a 951 anyway. It really sucks all his hard work and passion for the 83 is now a stinky melted carcass, but at least this 951 will be a much better starting point.

Here's a few pics of Mike's new ride.

Mike on day 2 of ownership, already fixing things and stuff and junk and things, in my driveway.

Congrats, Mike!
Old 03-25-2014, 11:47 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

In case anyone was curious how the burgundy car looked when Mike bought it.... It was super rough. It had a giant hole in the block and a broken rod. The interior was trashed. The Exterior was all tweaked and paint was faded. Even the Fuchs wheels had been chrome plated and were pitting like crazy. Personally I would have parted out the car from the beginning!

Here are some pictures from when he first got it. It's inspiring to see the many years of hard work transform this car into what it eventually became - a tastefully modified very clean example of an early NA. Compare the following 3 pictures with the pics on his original post on page 1, and you will see the transformation!

Old 03-26-2014, 01:13 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

That 951 is beautiful!! I wouldn't change a thing! Any idea on the history of the car?
Old 04-01-2014, 01:16 AM
intrepidagent
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Condolences on your NA, congrats on the Turbo.

Just remember that combining Marriage and a Porsche does not always end well
Old 04-01-2014, 08:59 PM
JonT
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry if I missed it but how did you get over 10K from insurance on an 83 NA?
Did you have to show proof of all the $$ in restoration and upgrades?
Nicely done, have fun with the 951.
Jon
Old 04-01-2014, 10:15 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drift a 944
In case anyone was curious how the burgundy car looked when Mike bought it.... It was super rough. It had a giant hole in the block and a broken rod. The interior was trashed. The Exterior was all tweaked and paint was faded. Even the Fuchs wheels had been chrome plated and were pitting like crazy. Personally I would have parted out the car from the beginning!

Here are some pictures from when he first got it. It's inspiring to see the many years of hard work transform this car into what it eventually became - a tastefully modified very clean example of an early NA. Compare the following 3 pictures with the pics on his original post on page 1, and you will see the transformation!
Thanks for posting. It gives me some hope for my car that is in similar (if not worse) shape.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:38 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Just saw this thread... that was a fine vehicle... going to miss seeing it as well... sorry that it happened.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Sixline
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JonT
Sorry if I missed it but how did you get over 10K from insurance on an 83 NA?
Did you have to show proof of all the $$ in restoration and upgrades?
Nicely done, have fun with the 951.
Jon
That's funny, I was wondering the same thing.

Edit: I reread the thread and he did say he had all the documents to prove the value of the car. I am still curious what insurance company he uses and if he had reported everything he had done to the car before it burnt to the ground.

Last edited by Sixline; 04-02-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixline
That's funny, I was wondering the same thing.

Edit: I reread the thread and he did say he had all the documents to prove the value of the car. I am still curious what insurance company he uses and if he had reported everything he had done to the car before it burnt to the ground.
+944 I need to sign up on the same insurance plan ASAP!
Old 04-02-2014, 09:36 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

If someone sees one of my following facts as wrong and wishes to correct it, please do so. I'm not an insurance pro, but I did stay at a Motel 6 last night. And I also happen to work at a restoration shop that occasionally does insurance repairs. So I've been watching and learning a little bit about this. I gave Mike the following tips to help him get the most buck for his bang.

What most people don't know is that insurance companies are negotiable on how much $ they plan to give you. It is basically their job to try and pay you on the low-end of the value spectrum for your vehicle, so they can save the insurance company the most money. The insurance guy will come out to evaluate your car, and try to take a shot at what kind of condition the car used to be in. But as the owner of the vehicle (especially an older vehicle like a 944) it is YOUR job to prove to them the condition of your vehicle before the incident. Receipts, documents, photos, etc. all can be used to prove the condition. Especially in a total loss like this case.

So how did he get 10k? Well first of all you have to have the best comprehensive insurance plan available. Second, think of how an insurance company places a value on a car. They use those ridiculous guides like NADA or maybe KBB, which shows an 83 944 to be worth around 8-9k "high retail"... assuming the vehicle is in original pristine condition (I used the term ridiculous because in the "real world market" nobody pays those prices. At least not down here in the South!). Well anyway, since Mike was able to use lots of receipts and photos showing additional thousands of dollars spent in his engine was recently rebuilt, interior recently reupholstered, suspension and brake components all new, paint job was recent, lots of upgrades, etc., they were able to give him some extra. It definitely pays off to have a well documented car. So in summary, a 10k check for a car with probably more than double spent into it, but probably worth about half that in the real world market. Not bad.

I don't want to share Mike's life story here, but I know the insurance company he uses is one of the big ones. A good chance you have the same company yourself. But realistically I don't think it really matters. All these companies use the same price guides for old cars anyhow.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:30 PM
83 944
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

hi guys sorry again new job new schedule =dd

yes elliott is correct. and thank you again elliott!

jason i know man and thank you. we need to get together again brother!

so they threw me an offer for 5400 first and i was like OH HELLLLL NOOO haha. and i sent them more pictures and more receipts and you all know im a porsche/bmw mercedes tech. and i dont have documents for labor and i went to work and used alldata and made up some work orders with labor and parts cost. weather i paid new or use which i alwats got a sweet deal on things =]]]] haha they didnt know and now they had prices and we went back and forth and back and forth and i ended up with well over 10K i actually went to them again after i said oh finally haha and i bought the car back even cheaper!! so negotiate people !!!

but i have spent a lot of money in my n/a and i got more for it then i could sell it for anyday. and i wish it upon no one.

plus i had the best insurance and i paid 120 a months with 100 deductibles haha. and thats Progressive by the way haha

NOW the 86 951. what a blast. i got ice cold a/c everthing works!! all power options. full koni adjustables everything is new and replaced. doesnt leak a drop of anything. already has 2k miles just from me already haha. i just did the venturi delete, all new fuel lines, hoses, fire extinguisher haha. and i have a 3in exhaust on the way tial waste gate, all bilstein coil overs on the car, turbo twist for now.4 bar adjustable regulator, K29/8 turbo, maf kit, chips, boost controller and gauge, straight routed hard pipes. and its running 16psi now. it feels super strong and spins 1st, 2nd and 3rd if i slip a quick shift which i dont do haha. but going to the body shop this week and dyno as well afterwards. 16lbs at 3400 now so re dyno with the new upgrades and get it tuned and ill keep it all posted in a new thread soon!

and more pictures soon i promise.

Michael
Old 04-07-2014, 02:40 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see the evolution of your new beast! Time to combine the sexiness of a Michael-built car with the power potential of a 951!
Old 04-07-2014, 12:20 PM
83 944
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Haha well I have the front splitter on its way as well. But not sure on color combo. I really like my black 951 with signal orange wheels in forza but I'm not sure yet haha. But it will be low and aggressive plus it had euro fog light so yet are mad bright! Plus I have euro headlight I'm putting it that I have laying around. Euro rear bumper, and not sure of the box rockers yet either. I have a vented nose panel for it as well. So it will look nice. And the car is running beautiful after the vinturi delete and new vacuum lines. And it's on 16psi and the k29 rips!

Gotta get back to work though a e46 just came in with a blown head gasket. Hope the head or block isn't damaged!
Old 04-07-2014, 01:16 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

glad to see you got a new one.

Quick Reply: My 944 is no more. =(