Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To those who have done V8 Swaps

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 04:53 AM
Diyman25
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am a happy owner of LS1 968

968 is great handeling car compare to E36 M3 on track. I drove them both

and bone stock 968 is much fun to drive at track, compare to M3

but lock of HP meaning i can only wish i need mabe 100hp

and is not fair to compare 30 years design 3L I4 to a much mordern LS1

PLUS USA is one of only country that dont charge Tax base on engine size

every where else will charge base on engine size

so by sticking biggest and more modern engine into a good design chassic seen to be logiable

Dont get me wrong i love small engine pack with big power

i have RX-7 that i build for Road course. it have over 300wHP with 1900lb car weight. is blast to drive on track but not on street

overall i think my 968 is much fun to drive with LS1 inside
Old 08-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Blown 944...

I think its absolutely adorable your defending the 944 motor and sadly thinking you stand a chance against a decently built LS motor given that your car still is still slow and even at your elevation your not going to cover a 10mph+ difference. (I trapped similar times with mine on the slow setup that would not be effected much if at all by elevation changes ) I know 944 engines inside and out and witout a doubt there are serious design problems with the 944 when it comes to making power. Then you get into the reliablity of making that power and the driveability to do so. Also the parts cost of making alot of power in a 944 is extremely expensive in contrast to a LS based motor.

Also, its always fair to compare two motors as they achive the same function regardless of age.

I personally think if your going to sink money into a 944 for your own enjoyment do what you want but if you only want to do it once and then enjoy the car you better go with the LS options or some other motor.

-Your Pal
Fishey
Old 08-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
REALLY?......I'll race any of you LS1 guys... Better bring your big boy pants!!

I'm not even running high boost yet and I'll smoke any of you fools!!!!

BRING IT!!....SOON.....PLEASE...I'll lay down money to boot!!! $2,000 if any of you boys can beat me at my local dragstrip... You pay a grand if (when) you lose...

There it is..._NONE_ of you has the ***** to bring it, and certainly won't take my $$$

300 hp LS1 up here = 220rwhp = 100mph if that.
425hp LS up here = 300rwhp up here = maybe 105-110 mph

Think before you speak so confidently....
Your trapping in the 120's that is cute I did that when my car was still a 4 banger and on spray. I still have the fastest 1/4mile time in my 944

my car is so slow!!!!!!!!!

i love my volkswagen
Old 08-28-2012, 07:51 PM
1987Porsche944WithRealLongName
Racer

Aren't you the kid that had the video where you put a giant filter on the afm and an ebay zex setup
Old 08-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fishey - you have got to be kidding me.

LS F-Bodies are ~100mph cars up here. Your car with a massive N2O shot at sea level is not a comparison. Up here you would have ran ~110mph - which is what my car did with a K27 and stock long-block.

Sid's car is pretty much the exact same speed/time as this supercharged LS2 vette (635hp):

Old 08-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by robstah
I'll play.
So your comparison is a built 7.x liter with 125-shot...?
Old 08-29-2012, 12:19 AM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

This is seriously the stupidest argument i've seen on this forum.

"I'm going to compare a turbo motor to an n/a motor at the highest elevation i can find."
"Oh well you have to add nitrous/turbo/supercharger to compete with me at this elevation, and this proves that your motor is inferior!"

Well ok then.... :durr:
Old 08-29-2012, 12:44 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
This is seriously the stupidest argument i've seen on this forum.

"I'm going to compare a turbo motor to an n/a motor at the highest elevation i can find."
"Oh well you have to add nitrous/turbo/supercharger to compete with me at this elevation, and this proves that your motor is inferior!"

Well ok then.... :durr:
I guess you didn't bother to read my posts either, instead you just make up what you think I said

I posted a comparison of a budget build 951, to a supercharged LS2. Both cars are similar in weight, both cars run low 120mph at our local track.

Rob posted up a car with a built 7.x motor, which the motor alone costs more then the entire 951 build (including the car)...

Anything can be fast - with enough money. The point LSx guys are always touting is how fast/reliable they are for the $. The funny part is that when someone challenges either point then its a "stupid argument".
Old 08-29-2012, 12:46 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I will NEVER put a V8 in my 951. Nothing against those who do. Just not my thing. If I go V8 I will just go buy a Vette. My brother has an LS2 and I love that car. My plan is to keep pushing to solve the issues. I guess that is why I love my 951. It has challenges but also amazing potential and character. I love a good challenge especially if I believe it will pay off in a big way. But to each his own.

My brothers LS2 with the Rockies in the background:

Old 08-29-2012, 01:22 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL this is still going on??

Ha ha.. I just drove my car on a 400 mile RT and abused the hell out of it and set some new bests for the 951 model so I'm pretty happy.

You guys can keep on with all the negativity I'll just keep pushing the envelope. Who knows, maybe pretty soon I'll be running with that Silver Vette ... If you guys only knew how much money was thrown in that thing by those guys... A lot of oil money thats for sure...

Either way I don't care.... It's fast and reliable so I like it.

I also like how we are comparing completely different cars?? I thought we were driving 944's? Where are the videos of them with the LS swap running 11's or tens?. I thought the argument was about a SWAP not about comparing a twenty year diffence in cars. I don't see a LS swap video that is faster than mine at any elevation?? The only one I saw was of a supercharged LS swap that is a full second slower than me, and he was at low elevation......

Cmon guys , proof is in the video or at least some timeslips or GPS data logs.....By your admission the LS swap is a better choice...so, show some proof of how much faster it is....It's a simple task really...
Old 08-29-2012, 01:25 AM
blown 944
Race Car

I solely posted that video because it just shows how irrelevant your video is. You can't win an argument with one video of one car when there are so many variables in play.

Hey Sid, what do you mean by filled block?

It's part filled to prevent cylinder walk. Otherwise, these engines will push headgaskets easily. It's worked very well in two engines I've done so far. They don't run any hotter and with a decent oil cooler they seem to be very stable. The 3.0 blocks are cast this way factory
Old 08-29-2012, 01:29 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Also I think some of what I said may have been taken wrong.

My point was that with the engine I have built, I can compete with the newer supercars. I'm certainly not going to beat the fully done cars. That I know, but that I can run with GTR's, Zo6's, 997tt's is plenty for me. It's a fun night hanging with those guys, and they seem to appreciate the differences, just as I do. Same goes for a guy with an E30bmw with a newer swap and BW turbo that has a nice setup running right where I am.

It's fun.... nothing more or less
Old 08-29-2012, 01:40 AM
blown 944
Race Car

And that's perfectly fine on the street? I'm trying to understand why Porsche took out that much metal then.
It's absolutely fine.. I even have an NA radiator in this car. Like I said , I just took a trip to a slightly lower elevation track and raced it hard all day doing hot laps actually (my best run was on a hot lap) and drove it home. No issues..

I have no idea why they cast it in that manor. However, they obviously saw an error and fixed it to a degree with the 3.o blocks. IMO they should have raised teh floor even further and just used a larger oil cooler.. You have to remember this engine is based off teh 928 engine and some of teh design may have been necessary.

Still the floor needs to be raised in order to be reliable.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:42 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Thinking about it I imagine it was due to the Water pump location
Old 08-29-2012, 03:56 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

It's possible that the 944 motor has design cues from the 1970's based on the 928 block. I'm assuming not in their wildest dreams did the Factory think that these motors would be pushing 20psi+ in the 21st century. The main fault seems to be the open deck and cylinder movement under higher boost and peak cylinder pressures. If Sid can get it to work on a budget build then more power to him. I have no qualm against the V8 guys. In the US it does make a lot of sense when viewed from a certain aspect...but some of us just don't want to go that way. Perhaps we're a bit slow on the uptake. Personally I just can't reconcile a V8 sound coming out of these cars unless it's a purpose built custom racecar. Just doesn't work for me as a streeter. Would I have saved many many thousands of dollars by going the V8 route? Sure would have. Guess I want to finish what I've started. Well done to you Sid and congratulations for your rewards so far.

Quick Reply: To those who have done V8 Swaps