Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To those who have done V8 Swaps

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 01:44 AM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My next project this winter will be a 1uzfe in a 951 or a Boxster 4.2 audi swap, whichever fate blows my way.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:33 AM
Prime320
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EVERY high performance motor has it's cars that run the number and some that flat out don't. Drag racing was my game for MANY years. I stopped messing with 944's completely because I got so deep into drag racing. Here is how I see the entire debate in this topic...

You drove the hell out of your 951. Perhaps I should say you DRIVE the hell out of your car. Some people simply can not drive to save thier lives. MANY cars make HP number but don't run the time. Hell look at every supra out there. People running AWFUL times with 150mph trap speeds haha. You have a sweet working car that has been through a lot of passes. That's a hell of a lot more than most people can say!!!!

I raced MHRA Factory Stock, and NMRA Factory Stock (only a few rounds NMRA due to traveling) and there is where I learned how to really run the number. 88 5.0 notch back mustang with a dead stock motor, everything fitting to class rules, and running mid 11's. That was 2900lbs race weight with a car factory rated at 225 horse. We ran the **** out of them poor cars. There sure isn't anything like powershifting a pro shifted tranny in a heads up race. Killer adrenaline.

I also tuned in a plate system for a junk yard built nova. By far one of the most impressive builds I have ever had a chance to play with. Stock junkyard LS1 6.0 short block (Diamond drop in pistons, and ARP studs), TSP cam, L92 heads off of an escalade with comp cams springs, and factory rockers, carbed GMPP intake with a 4150 carb, and MSD ignition. I did the nitrous set up which was a Jeff Prock (Applied nitrous technologies) plate with a regular holley FPR instead of the high pressure prock reg, NOS pro race noids, and basic jetting suggested by monte smith, and fine tuned by me. Auto tranny car off the tbrake, and we were seeing consistent 9.5's at 145ish once dialed in. Engine build from carb to pan cost the guy 2800 bucks. How can you beat that? Crazy impressive.

Basically in the end it comes down to set up. Any set up can work if set up properly. Bench racing gets us no where haha. Good luck to all of you in your adventures and enjoy YOUR car, and built it to suit YOU. Who cares what the other guy has or says?
Old 08-30-2012, 02:19 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

L33 motor here. Old garnet red paint gone, reproduction jagermeister vinyl sitting on the shelf ready to go on, motor in the car. Now the work starts. Car was down to a bare rolling chassis with body panels removed for paint, so it will take awhile to get everything back the way I want it. Hopefully will be back on the track this coming spring.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:43 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

^ love that color, start a build thread with lots of pics dang it!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

How much was the paint job Doc?
Old 08-30-2012, 11:34 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 333pg333
How much was the paint job Doc?
A friend of mine is a painter, so he helped me out on it. I DA'd a good portion of the car, then decided to stop before I made more work for him, lol. He had a fair amount of previous body work to fix (car had numerous resprays and damage at some point in it's life on the left side), sanding, etc. $2500. We shot for $1800 originally, but he had a little more work than he initially thought on the front left fender and door.....which, like an idiot, I had a good door and fender from a parts car laying around that I didn't think about swapping on, lol. After 6 years of hating the paint job on the car, I'm finally happy with the look.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:38 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
^ love that color, start a build thread with lots of pics dang it!
Thanks I'll probably blog a good portion of the build, i've thrown up a few posts on it already. I have the car back at home now so I can work on it away from the shop. I feel guilty working on my own stuff after hours/weekends when there are customer cars in the shop, lol. Figure maybe this way I can actually get some work done from home. I'm only about a year behind schedule on it.

Quick Reply: To those who have done V8 Swaps