Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 944Fest - Nelson Ledges - June 17-19

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Travis - don't forget about the RallyCross. We should plan on Saturday for this. ~12:00 to 4:30?
I didn't hear back from you if we got the ok from the scca so we can start pitching it to the track so... thats another reason why the Saturday is somewhat up in the air right now. Shoot me over an email and let me know how its coming.

Originally Posted by tomv944
T
1) I have a 90 S2 cab 68K miles that is stock with no roll bar can I do a few laps on the track without a roll bar. If so do you need to register and what is the cost?
Like Sam said, you have to have the roll bar in if you have a cab on the track. I am still waiting to get a $ amount tied down for the track but it will be reasonable and in line with last years cost. +/- $175 ish. for Friday.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Well, everything I have is "extra" that is I have taken them off my 951, and already have most of the replacement parts on hand.. still have some big ticket items to buy, but that is my problem to deal with..

I am sure we can work something out, let me know if you want everything carted up to the fest.. I think it would be a HUGE experience to be able to demonstrate to the unwashed masses what it required, and can be done in a short amount of time with the proper motivation...
This is so full of WIN! Tell me about the part where I should even consider saying, no.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh man.. for real? We are going to Turbo a NA at the Fest??? That would be awesome!!!
Old 02-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
I didn't hear back from you if we got the ok from the scca so we can start pitching it to the track so... thats another reason why the Saturday is somewhat up in the air right now. Shoot me over an email and let me know how its coming.

Like Sam said, you have to have the roll bar in if you have a cab on the track. I am still waiting to get a $ amount tied down for the track but it will be reasonable and in line with last years cost. +/- $175 ish. for Friday.
It will happen. I am looking for some support from NEOhio. One thing you and I need to work out is; how big do we want to make it? Do we want 10 to 15 outsiders (non-Fest folks) or do we want to keep it somewhat private? When we sell NEO on letting them co-run the RallyCross, we can expect they may want to let their helpers run too.

There are a few other options but they all come down to how big or how small we want this. What is your vision on how many competitors we should plan for? And do we want this to be open to others that will not be at the track anyway?

If we want to keep it private, I can bring cones, flags, fire extinguishers and timing equipment. It would be everything we would need to run a properly sanctioned SCCA RallyCross. We will need an SCCA member to agree to be the official tech inspector. His/her name and membership number would be needed for the sanction application form.

With myself, Jen and JPK - we have enough to cover the other positions such as Chair, Course Designer, Safety Steward and Registration (waivers, wrist bands, entry fee, etc). If we want to keep it on the small side, we should be able to sanction it as a Detroit SCCA RallyCross if we get support from NEO to co-host. Since this is outside the boundaries of the Detroit Region, we really need to work with the local region. I will contact Greg Lester since I haven't gotten the answers I have been looking for from the Great Lakes Division Safety Steward.

Speaking of entry fees. There will be sanction and insurance fees that will be owed to SCCA headquarters. It will be close to $10 per driver.

One last thing. Hardtops only, regardless of rollbars or not. Sorry. That's one rule we won't be able to get around.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

If we can keep the course rather flat and 944 Friendly, I don't see why we shouldn't just plan for something more private-ish. I know we should have at least one car that can be loaned out for runs so I don't think that the number of participants will be a problem, even if it is just us. I would figure on at least 30 drivers, especially with a loaner car hanging around.
$10 per driver for the SCCA stuff plus we need to get you guys something back for hauling all the equipment down from Michigan. You think $20/$25 per driver will cover all the costs?
Just bouncing ideas around here so let me know what you think.
Also, as soon as we have a good plan together I need to pitch it to the track. If we have everything in order with the SCCA for insurance / sanctioning I don't really see it being a problem.. but it is the last hurdle we have to get over.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Dougs951
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh I would love it if we had a loaner car for $25
Old 02-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

We should have no trouble doing this for $20 per driver.

This is assuming Nelson Ledges won't be asking for money. Any feel for this, Travis?

We should also limit the tires used to street tires or snow tires. No rally tires or mud-terrain (etc) tires permitted.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

I seriously doubt that anyone (besides you maybe) would bring rally tires for their 944, but it would be good to get that in there up front. We could even give freestyle points for those that run track slicks...

So should I go with what we have thus far and put it together to pitch the track with? Do we have Greg or whomever we need from the local region on board so we are official for the SCCA stuff?
Is there a specific area we should use out there in the infield? I don't know if we want to cross the gravel and there is that ditch out there we have to avoid. We also have to keep in mind a path for the corner workers (track) around the rally cross.. I was scoping it out on google earth. What are your thoughts because I know this is all going to come up as soon as I talk with the track.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

We should figure on one of the two areas I have roughed out within the red lines.

I'll talk to Greg this week. I don't think there will be any reason for them to object to letting the Detroit Region sanction an event in their region, as long as they are made aware of our intentions. The Detroit Region and NEOhio have run several joint races at Nelson in the last few years.
Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2011, 08:22 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
This is so full of WIN! Tell me about the part where I should even consider saying, no.
Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
Oh man.. for real? We are going to Turbo a NA at the Fest??? That would be awesome!!!
Well, since paypal is chomping away at selling anything, and I DO have a huge pile of spare parts... why not?

Now I just need to figure out how to get them all there, and it will be a done deal..

we can work out the details of costs associated and stupid crap like that some other time.. just being able to say yes you can turbo an N/A, at the fest, with beer and a bunch of spare time.. why not, that's just the kind of guy I am!

NOW, Scott, you will need to do laps EARLY Friday, so we can start the transformation as soon as possible...

I will need to talk Chris White into sending my old Pistons either to me, to Scott, or bringing them to the track.. OR we can just stick to LOW boost, and way customize the tune!

I will also need to have someone bringing a trailer (with space) come to my house, and pick up all the bits and pieces, some time between now and then.. and we (I) will need to figure out what I am doing new turbo wise, commit to it, so I can add the turbo mount into the mix!

Sounds like the fest to end all fests! Fix a broken *** car, then give it away.. AND turbo an N/A.. all on top of free admission?

What more could a 944 owner ever ask for?
Old 02-07-2011, 12:51 PM
tomv944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be my first time to try attend. Couple of questions.

2) I read this forum regularly and one of the question I see a lot is how to tweak a few more horsepower out of a N/A engine both a 2.5 and 3.0 without spending a fortune. I have ask this myself on the forum. Have you considered a clinics on this? I would be willing to have my car be the test but would need to know what I would need to buy to make it work New Chip? eliminate the cat (I am in Ohio so no emission testing) or some other thing that could be done. Let me know if this is interesting to anyone
Anybody with any suggestions on adding some HP to a 3.0 L S2
Old 02-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Anybody with any suggestions on adding some HP to a 3.0 L S2
Tom - not to be a ***** - though I play the part well - you may want to start a different thread on this subject.

There are many posts on the subject elsewhere on this forum. If you have not tried the "search" function yet, it might be a good thing to mess with.

I'd be interested to know more about this as well, since I just picked-up an S2 a few months ago. I am presently concerned with getting the rebuilt head back on it and seeing how it runs. If all is good when I get to that point - I may also be interested in trying to increase the output. Then again, having enjoyed our two 85.5 N/As for the nice balance between "performance" and economy, I expect I will not be in a hurry to sink much money into this pursuit.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:31 PM
tomv944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott Sorry If I hijacked the thread. My post was in response to the remark about having clinics at the fest on different topics. This was just a suggested topic for a clinic.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Well, since paypal is chomping away at selling anything, and I DO have a huge pile of spare parts... why not?

Now I just need to figure out how to get them all there, and it will be a done deal..

we can work out the details of costs associated and stupid crap like that some other time.. just being able to say yes you can turbo an N/A, at the fest, with beer and a bunch of spare time.. why not, that's just the kind of guy I am!

NOW, Scott, you will need to do laps EARLY Friday, so we can start the transformation as soon as possible...

I will need to talk Chris White into sending my old Pistons either to me, to Scott, or bringing them to the track.. OR we can just stick to LOW boost, and way customize the tune!

I will also need to have someone bringing a trailer (with space) come to my house, and pick up all the bits and pieces, some time between now and then.. and we (I) will need to figure out what I am doing new turbo wise, commit to it, so I can add the turbo mount into the mix!

Sounds like the fest to end all fests! Fix a broken *** car, then give it away.. AND turbo an N/A.. all on top of free admission?

What more could a 944 owner ever ask for?
If we can get the car fixed before the Fest - I figure Doc will want to partake of the track experience again. Assuming my S2 is fixed by then, we may be able to work out a deal with the track folks to let us do the first session in Penelope and then take the remainder in Stu.

I was wondering about the pistons. If we do turbo the N/A, I think we need to put the proper low-compression pistons in. We ought to start with some checklists for parts, tools and sequencing the work. I should be good with most any tools we need - but I think we really need to document everything to be sure all things are accounted for in advance.

To sidebar the piston discussion - we would need to know the condition of the parts and their size spec. I assume they are not oversize. I am fairly certain Penelope's engine has never been opened (therefore stock bores). It would be a good time to put in new rod and crank bearings (I would obtain - if we decide to do this). What about the rings?
Old 02-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Scott Sorry If I hijacked the thread. My post was in response to the remark about having clinics at the fest on different topics. This was just a suggested topic for a clinic.
No worries. We're going to have so many clinics, it will be worse than SEMA.

Quick Reply: 2011 944Fest - Nelson Ledges - June 17-19