Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 944Fest - Nelson Ledges - June 17-19

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:45 PM
tomv944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe we can swap the 8.1 liter engine from the RV into the Porsche and convert the 6 speed allison tranny into a a tiptronic?
Old 02-04-2011, 03:05 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tomv944
maybe we can swap the 8.1 liter engine from the RV into the Porsche and convert the 6 speed allison tranny into a a tiptronic?
Now there is an interesting concept... having how to tutorials as part of the Fest..

Like a timing belt clinic?
Or a front end reseal clinic?
Or even a "how to replace your aging fuel lines with a renbay kit" clinic?
Or maybe a "how to replace your ball joints with a renbay kit" clinic?

Hmmm

FWIW I know many have done all of the above (or it could just be me), but still many havent... and might garnish some benefit from seeing it done.. I know I recently had a couple of listers over to participate in a PS rack rebuild... it was my second, but neither of them had done one before! I am sure both of them left feeling able to easily tackle it themselves!

and I am sure Rennbay, as the organizer of the fest, could glean some sort of benefit from the exercise..
Old 02-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Now there is an interesting concept... having how to tutorials as part of the Fest..

Like a timing belt clinic?
Or a front end reseal clinic?
Or even a "how to replace your aging fuel lines with a renbay kit" clinic?
Or maybe a "how to replace your ball joints with a renbay kit" clinic?

Hmmm
Or the fix Penelope clinic.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:12 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Or the fix Penelope clinic.
Bring it!

I have plenty of spares, and if I have advance info I can bring some along..

OH CRAP... I will have a full setup to be able to turbo an N/A... how cool would that be to do at the fest?
Old 02-04-2011, 04:18 PM
tomv944
Instructor

i am a newbie and have not done much wrenching since rebuilding my engine in a 65 MGB in 1973 but would like to be able tackle some of the maintenance on my S2. I have recently had the timing belt tensioners and water pump done by Dave Wenger at the North End wrench but I had to drop 2 grand to get it done. Lots of things I would like to do in the next couple of year. My car is very stock and plan on keeping it fairly close to stock but would like to give it a few more ponies. used to have a 86 951 which had more guts when you stood on it. But right now I would not trade the ponies for a top that did not go down.

It would be nice to have a swap meet as well as everybody on this board is either looking for something or selling something
Old 02-04-2011, 04:25 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be nice to have a swap meet as well as everybody on this board is either looking for something or selling something
Boy, is that ever true... Also, JoKA, I haven't done any of those things. It would be neat to see some wrenching!
Old 02-04-2011, 04:26 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

i am a newbie and have not done much wrenching since rebuilding my engine in a 65 MGB in 1973 but would like to be able tackle some of the maintenance on my S2. I have recently had the timing belt tensioners and water pump done by Dave Wenger at the North End wrench but I had to drop 2 grand to get it done. Lots of things I would like to do in the next couple of year. My car is very stock and plan on keeping it fairly close to stock but would like to give it a few more ponies. used to have a 86 951 which had more guts when you stood on it. But right now I would not trade the ponies for a top that did not go down.

Hershey PA every year is a swap meet... last weekend of april evey year (weekend of my birthday!) it starts on the 24th this year!

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...23-2011-a.html
Old 02-04-2011, 04:28 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

How cool would it be to start Friday morning off with laps in an N/A, and finish Sunday with laps in the same car... but turbo?

And then have Travis give it away? Raffle style?

Complete with Rock's artistic flair on the body?
Old 02-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Dougs951
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would have to bring a bigger truck...
Old 02-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
How cool would it be to start Friday morning off with laps in an N/A, and finish Sunday with laps in the same car... but turbo?
If we don't have Penelope fixed by then - we will haul her down on the trailer (this is not just BS). If we take home a running turbo - that would be f-ing awesome. I'm sure Doc would be quite happy to just have Penelope running properly again.

The rest of your quote was edited for nonsensical content.

I'm really starting to have a firm belief that a valve spring is broken in Penelope (I haven't heard this song in a while)....

We still need to confirm the electrons are flowing properly between the DME and the AFM though, before pulling the head apart.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:33 PM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tomv944, I hope that Rock doesn't see the motor home. You'll find him in you bed..
Old 02-04-2011, 08:17 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fwb42
Tomv944, I hope that Rock doesn't see the motor home. You'll find him in you bed..
Humping elmo!
Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
If we don't have Penelope fixed by then - we will haul her down on the trailer (this is not just BS). If we take home a running turbo - that would be f-ing awesome. I'm sure Doc would be quite happy to just have Penelope running properly again.

The rest of your quote was edited for nonsensical content.

I'm really starting to have a firm belief that a valve spring is broken in Penelope (I haven't heard this song in a while)....

We still need to confirm the electrons are flowing properly between the DME and the AFM though, before pulling the head apart.
I was serious... the more I think about the whole clinic thing, the more I like it..

goodie bag, door prizes, and the knowledge on how to perform the basic maintenance tasks we all have to do... what more could anyone ask for from the fest?

OH.. and WTF is it with you and broken valve springs????? I have owned LOTS of cars, never had a valve spring break.. and now you have 2 of them... one of which broke into 3 pieces????????

anyone up for an engine rebuild at the fest?

How about late model rear wheel bearing swaps? (this was the most recent thing I finished...next biggie I haven't done yet, but am going to do is installation of a factory LSD and cooling loop!!!!)

Maybe I will have some harness connector sets to throw in as sponsor door prizes???? (if they come in time!)
Old 02-04-2011, 10:14 PM
tomv944
Instructor

fwb42 should not be a problem The rv has double dead bolts and a shotgun beside the drivers seat. bTW how do you quote a previous message in your reply
Old 02-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

fwb42 should not be a problem The rv has double dead bolts and a shotgun beside the drivers seat. bTW how do you quote a previous message in your reply
Like this.

Quick Reply: 2011 944Fest - Nelson Ledges - June 17-19