Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FIX IT OR BUY ANOTHER

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 10:50 AM
dpoul34
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FIX IT OR BUY ANOTHER

Here's my predicament. I own an 87 944 NA. the euro mechanic said the car is incredibly sound (and even replaced the timing belt and water pump 100 miles ago), but there are things that need to be done.

Nice paint job, but engine bay doesn't match (was originally Maraschino, now Guards). Most of the electricals are not working for whatever reason. Sunroof doesn't come up, AC doesn't work, seats need reupholstering, needs new tires and front struts.

for those that have undergone any of these things, would I be better served buying a better version or sinking the money in. I love the car but even the paint thing alone irks the crap out of me (**** type personality).

I welcome any and all suggestions.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:22 AM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you really like fixing cars up, which it doesn't sound like, get the best example you can afford.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

i'd say start picking away at those projects on this car, starting with the smallest stuff that you can do while keeping the car on the road. If the car is as mechanically sound as you say, you don't want to get rid of it, or F with it at all (like buying another shell to put the motor in) just leave it the hell alone and start some projects, especially electrical stuff, because more often than not it is a ground or switch. My sunroof didn't work right until i unplugged the switch and plugged it back in...it's worked great since!

ps show us some pics so we know what you're talking about!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:35 AM
carlege
Drifting

You do own a 25 year old vehicle. I would just accept the fact that you will have to fix things even on the best examples. might as well fix the car you got.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:58 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

+1 Carlege

Heck, if that thing is mechanically sound, keep it and work out the small kinks here and there. If you know you got a good car in reference to the engine, keep it man! Paint is not a big deal, just do that kinda stuff along the way. As long as you know you got a good running car, hold on to it.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:05 PM
hevquip
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sell sell sell sell. sounds like you already want to anyway. because a lot of those things that you said don't work can get removed and go towards weight savings, i'd strip the car down for something fun...assuming this wasn't a daily driver and didn't have a lot of money into it to begin with.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:07 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Agreed with the above, except hevquip..... chip away at the small stuff and do the big stuff as you can afford it. Even if you buy a nicer example, it is going to cost you in the end...they are all going to need the same stuff eventually, rubber pieces replaced, timing belts, waterpump, clutch, etc etc etc
Old 01-11-2011, 02:08 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dpoul34
Here's my predicament. I own an 87 944 NA. the euro mechanic said the car is incredibly sound (and even replaced the timing belt and water pump 100 miles ago), but there are things that need to be done.

Nice paint job, but engine bay doesn't match (was originally Maraschino, now Guards). Most of the electricals are not working for whatever reason. Sunroof doesn't come up, AC doesn't work, seats need reupholstering, needs new tires and front struts.

for those that have undergone any of these things, would I be better served buying a better version or sinking the money in. I love the car but even the paint thing alone irks the crap out of me (**** type personality).

I welcome any and all suggestions.

Paint... well getting the paint to match he engine is easy as most cars still have original paint. Most of those have poor quality paint however. So it will be hit or miss on finding a car with nice paint. Paint jobs are expensive and good one will cost more than the car.

Seats... those easy. Find seats and replace them rather than repair.

Tires... wear item as most any car will need tires

Front stuts... again wear time and I would guess 80% of the cars on the road need these.

A/C... There is a good chance the next car will need A/C work too.

Electrical... This is biggest hassle. Some cars seem cursed, but most are not. it could be simple fix like grounds or an every lasting nightmare. They can be hard to pin down the problem.

So I would not change cars for things like seats, tires, struts,A/C. These age of these cars this stuff does wear down have have issues and chance are you will need to do this stuff on any other car too. Paint and electrical are different. Bad paint is common on moderately priced cars. my 88 Turbo S has ok paint. It is the original color, I would like it to be freshly painted. However that cost alot more money that I have. I could try to swap cars out, but my paint is infact better than most. So I would be hard to find that perferct paint out there. So I just keep what I have. Electical gremlins are not often that hard to repair, but often hard to pin down what the problem is. That makes them a constant headache.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:58 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

it's a ****box in other words.

what do you think this is, mamby-pamby land ?

quit bein' a girlyman. start strippin' **** down, and get back to us.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:09 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

if you like the car enough and are willing to work on and learn the car, i would reccomend starting with some of the eaiser things like struts, interior work and such and start knocking out the small stuff. the more you work on the car and fix things and learn the car, the more you will appreciate it and enjoy it!
Old 01-11-2011, 06:21 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
the more you work on the car and fix things and learn the car, the more you will appreciate it and enjoy it!
This +1000
Old 01-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Kerry Chadderton
Racer

Yep. I'd keep it too! Your list is not that bad at all. Take one thing at a time. Start with tires and struts. Save the paint until last. I'm doing the same thing although I'd much rather have an 87 than my 84. I just like your interior better.

And hang out here for a while. We'll help you along the way!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:24 PM
dpoul34
Instructor

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'm very knowledgeable with tools and do effect some high tech repairs on the machinery at work, but have never quite delved into automobiles, except for the simple oil and plug changes. But I'm willing to give it a go.

Any recommendations are the best place for parts? I like 944online but like to keep my options open as well.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:50 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

i just learned about this site from a fellow forum member: http://www.paragon-products.com/Pors...4_968_s/20.htm

you can also go to www.pelicanparts.com

i also reccomend picking up a factory service manual set and or a haynes manual. it will provide most of the repair info that you'll need should you have questions about how to perform a certain service or repair.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:06 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 264 Posts

-1000 on the haynes manual. The worst POS in print.

Quick Reply: FIX IT OR BUY ANOTHER