Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FIX IT OR BUY ANOTHER

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 06:19 PM
dpoul34
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike C -

The instructions for my kerosene heater say that you can use home heating oil or diesel, just that kerosene is cleaner and you might be more apt to clean and maintain the heating unit more often.

Now that I have a heater in the garage, the below has commenced and been purchased:

struts, leather console, all sunroof hardware including wind jam, cluster illumination, odometer gear, dashboard and electrical buttons, tires, new stereo and speakers.

Haven't decided to get AAA or a spare tire. Where would a tow hook go on a 1987 944 NA?

Also in the process of seat upholstery. That one is either a $180 formed seat cover or 850 italian leather complete reupholstery.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

It sounds like I could do it as I'm sure it works just like the one you have. I did a little googling and it sounds like the HHO would burn smellier and dirtier. I'll probably stick with kerosene as long as the price differential doesn't climb much more.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:55 PM
mgbdoc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parts

try 928-r-us,he can get everthing porsche, at good prices and is great at customer service. helped me with parts searches for hard to find components. great at little things that the usual parts suppliers don't carry, since he orders directly from porsche and you only pay shipping from his end.
roger is who you want to talk to.
for seats i had mine done at the local uphostery shop- better price than any online ordering and they did the hard part
Old 01-21-2011, 06:51 PM
dpoul34
Instructor

In regards to the sunroof. I bought a pretty decently shaped headliner off Ebay, but when I got it in, it had this 1" thick backer board adhered to it.

Guy said these were interchangeable. Anyone know if there's the same backerboard on the headliner of an 87 NA?
Old 01-22-2011, 03:50 PM
dpoul34
Instructor

Starting to work on the stereo in this 87 NA. I notice a green wire coming out of the harness and have found no mention of one anywhere. What is it for?
Old 01-23-2011, 07:18 PM
dpoul34
Instructor

Had a buddy come over today to look at the installation of my new Alphine receiver. With all the cut wires and rigged up job from the PO I thought we were gonners! After 20 minutes he had the whole thing wired and ready to go.

only problem is that the rear speakers still didn't work. They hadn't worked for the PO either. So, we're ordering new 6x9's that we will rewire into the hatch area. Now he wants to install tweeters and an amp or sub as well. Guess that's okay when it isn't his money.

JL Audio on all components has been recommended to me. Any input?
Old 01-23-2011, 07:27 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

JL Audio stuff is falls somewhere between overpriced, and extremely overpriced... but good equipment.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:06 PM
dpoul34
Instructor

I would welcome any and all suggestions on a comparable replacement. I don't want to go broke if I can achieve the same quality. I've never shopped for car speakers before.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:00 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

JL isn't expensive for what it is. Thats like saying Porsche's are expensive, and we would be better off in Hyundai's as they still just get us from A to B

The amps aren't the cheapest around but they are bullet proof and conservatively rated. The speakers, are like all brands, in that they have cheap entry level stuff to expensive high end stuff. You will be hard pressed to find entry level stuff that sounds as good, but don't listen to a bunch of guys on the net, listen to the speakers and see what your ears think. Your the one who will be spending a lot of time listening to them not us. Speakers are the one area of a sound system that have the biggest effect on overall result, so spending a little more can reap big improvements. You are better of buying an entry level deck and spending more on speakers than buy a high end deck and using cheap speakers.

Anyway I have used JL speakers in a lot of my friends cars and they love em, and I wouldn't suggest them if they didn't sound good to me (and I'm a fussy bar$tad)
peace
Old 01-24-2011, 10:27 AM
dpoul34
Instructor

Thanks for the input. I ended up with the JL tr690's. I'll put those in the rear and see how the sound is. I can always add an amp at a later date. The more I spend on stuff like this the less money I will have if something mechanical goes drastically wrong. It's like the seats. I opted for a form fitting cover at $180 instead of italian leather upholstery for $850.

But who knows? I may not like the fit of the covers and end up with the upholstery anyway. I'm one of those fussy ba@tards too!
Old 01-25-2011, 08:24 PM
dpoul34
Instructor

Guys,
Anyone know where the wind jam for the sun roof connects to electrically? I noticed it sneaks its way through part of the headliner but where does it go from there?

I thought perhaps the switch it connects to is under the part of molding down the left side of the windshield where the VIN plate is. If that's the case, how does that piece come off?
Old 01-26-2011, 08:18 PM
dpoul34
Instructor

There's a poster out there, or maybe a magazine article where they have the view of the 944 of how to make an NA into a Turbo and the parts needed. ANyone know where I can find that? I'd like to make a poster of it.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:23 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

turbo ? take Chris White out to lunch. and have a talk about what exactly you need to do.... i'm just one of hundreds of poeple who've posted that question.... the guys on the turbo forums were typically helpful. a proper turbocharging program for my car could have run anywhere between about 17-35 k depending on where i chose to source the parts, proper engine rebuilds, etc.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-my-968-a.html

Originally Posted by dpoul34
I would welcome any and all suggestions on a comparable replacement. I don't want to go broke if I can achieve the same quality. I've never shopped for car speakers before.

seas..... of course, seas.... then build yourself a standout set of studio ref. monitors for your home system.

http://audiojunkies.com/forum/blog/4...mobile-sq.html
Old 02-09-2011, 08:33 AM
dpoul34
Instructor

I have a question for you IF your sunroof works.

The two arms that raise and lower the sunroof each have a small nub/protrusion on them on only one side. When your sunroof is fully closed, in what position are those arms? All the way forward towards the front of the car sitting in the grooves of the sunroof? Any pics anywhere of this?

I have been able to get the gear cable in the position it belongs in but I just want to get this sunroof seated and in its proper place before I test it electrically.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:25 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

JL are nice and worth the price I feel they get over done... I like MB Quart

Quick Reply: FIX IT OR BUY ANOTHER