Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throwing in the towel, I need help...or a buyer

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 01:29 AM
Elliot9
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Landseer
Maybe, but you contradict yourself with the pursuit of a japanese Z that was a tin can compared to a 944, probably a two-fold worse decision from a financial perspective.

Somebody here would give you a balance shaft. Hell, I've got a whole engine sitting out here in the driveway. And a set of oversized balance shaft bearings in the parts bin.

Too bad you quit. Right in front of the finish line.

Outa here
Originally Posted by Elliot9
Don't have the money to replace it nor the time (semester at school is over in 2 weeks) nor the desire anymore.
I didn't quit, I did what I could for the car and I cannot complete it, that doesn't make me a quitter. No need to be rude towards me.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:38 AM
till_that_day
Instructor

In light of the last post

It will take me a week or so but I will give a balance shaft from my parts car ('88 NA) if you pay shipping. Stay with the Breed, if a P-car is too much Buy a MarkIII VW. This problem is solvable, and we would rather help you fix then help you sell out.

PM me if you want
Old 11-24-2010, 01:51 AM
Elliot9
Instructor

Originally Posted by till_that_day
In light of the last post

It will take me a week or so but I will give a balance shaft from my parts car ('88 NA) if you pay shipping. Stay with the Breed, if a P-car is too much Buy a MarkIII VW. This problem is solvable, and we would rather help you fix then help you sell out.

PM me if you want
I'll consider it but I think it's just time to pass it on to someone who has the financial means to fix it.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:36 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Z's aren't a whole lot cheaper to fix. (though you can change a starter in less than 4 minutes, and a tranny in under an hour.) They sure can be modded though, and the aftermarket world (especially in CA) is nothing short of astounding as Nissan built hundreds of thousands of Z's, so parts are plentiful.

I wouldn't recommend one as a daily driver now. They are 30+++ years old now, and unless in tip top condition, will nickle and dime you to death.

Too bad your so far away. I have a beautiful 78 280 that I am preparing to sell in the spring.

As for the Porsche. It sounds like you are in pretty deep. At least you know what your working with, and could end up with a reliable enough vehicle if you stick to it. Time is one thing, but remember that the 944 (as well as the Z car) do not have a lot of resale value, so only invest the $ you NEED to. There are too many WANTS with an older car.

Goodluck
Old 11-24-2010, 09:25 AM
kenkawai993
Instructor

Elliot9,

Take "till that day" offer for the balance shaft. It'll take him a week to get it and possibly another week for you to get it. By then you'll have the semester break. Give it this one last try, you already did everything to it. Changing a balance shaft is nothing compared to what you've done already.

If you sell as is, you'll most likely get less then 1K. If you swap the balance shaft you could sell it for more. Since your in college, I'm sure you don't want to just toss it out the door.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Elliot9
Instructor

The problem with bringing it home is I don't have all the tools I need in my garage and my parents will not allow a car to sit in our garage if it is not running. So I'm forced to sell it at this point basically. I thought of one last posability to fix it which I will try today but more than likely I'm going to have to sell it and take a huge loss.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:37 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I may have missed it, but what was done differently on this last reseal than the previous attempts?
Old 11-24-2010, 06:40 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

throw the car on CL for $500, buy a Z and drive their message boards insane with yet another insurmountable 4 hour repair.

then go buy a '96 Corolla 4 door. I hear those things run great.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:16 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Elliot,

I must say that you did a great job with the effort. I am sorry that you aren't able to keep it, but do not let the posts offend you. I know how frustrating it can be when you have to fix something over and over and over and it seems like something just isn't quite right and it's hard to figure out. I had a similar situation. Things just weren't working right, i tried analyzing the problem and trying new solutions and it just wouldn't work. I tried fixing it over and over and over and over. People said "Don't give up you can do this!" eventually it just didn't work out. So one day I woke up and went "I gotta change this and try this with a new perspective."

So I divorced her and got a new wife.

HEE HAW I MADE A DIVORCE JOKE!

But in all seriousness man, don't let the comments get to ya. You tried and gave it a good shot. Perhaps at some point you'll find another 944 or something to replace it that won't give you headache. The best thing to do sometimes when frustrated is to just take a breather and come back to it later. If you're still upset and still mad and still wanna move on, well then, it is or isn't meant to be.

In the end it's just a car, and you can find another car. Don't let it get you down. Either way, bravo and props to you for giving it a go in the first place! Would you believe how many people would have quit after the first or second try? But you kept going. That's determination. Again, bravo for the determination.

It is far easier to remain encouraged by the fact of knowing you did try, than to be discouraged by quitting after trying it a few times and not knowing. You tried. Simply learn from the experience and all is well.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Elliot9
Instructor

Originally Posted by CorsePerVita
Elliot,

I must say that you did a great job with the effort. I am sorry that you aren't able to keep it, but do not let the posts offend you. I know how frustrating it can be when you have to fix something over and over and over and it seems like something just isn't quite right and it's hard to figure out. I had a similar situation. Things just weren't working right, i tried analyzing the problem and trying new solutions and it just wouldn't work. I tried fixing it over and over and over and over. People said "Don't give up you can do this!" eventually it just didn't work out. So one day I woke up and went "I gotta change this and try this with a new perspective."

So I divorced her and got a new wife.

HEE HAW I MADE A DIVORCE JOKE!

But in all seriousness man, don't let the comments get to ya. You tried and gave it a good shot. Perhaps at some point you'll find another 944 or something to replace it that won't give you headache. The best thing to do sometimes when frustrated is to just take a breather and come back to it later. If you're still upset and still mad and still wanna move on, well then, it is or isn't meant to be.

In the end it's just a car, and you can find another car. Don't let it get you down. Either way, bravo and props to you for giving it a go in the first place! Would you believe how many people would have quit after the first or second try? But you kept going. That's determination. Again, bravo for the determination.

It is far easier to remain encouraged by the fact of knowing you did try, than to be discouraged by quitting after trying it a few times and not knowing. You tried. Simply learn from the experience and all is well.
Thank you for that, nice to know someone on the internet doesn't have to act like a tough guy or know it all. I do hope to own a 944 or 951 at another point in my life but right now it's just not in the cards. I'd like to get an old Z as I said but realistically I should get a newer car so I'm not having to constantly worry about it breaking down and if I'm going to make it the next mile or not.

Quick Reply: Throwing in the towel, I need help...or a buyer