Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh Boy I HATE RICERS

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 04:30 AM
Elliot9
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You did a rolling start drag race, you're both ricers for that
Old 10-13-2010, 04:50 AM
piperporsche180944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Elliot9
You did a rolling start drag race, you're both ricers for that
Woah there killer, he went from the dig. I just didnt notice it for a second. LOL!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:16 AM
specsalot
Instructor

Originally Posted by bonus12
our porsches aren't meant for this. it's bad that one of our own felt inclined to stand up for the porsche badge against a suped-up honda. our cars are becoming classic so let's not let this fate fall in the hands of "ricers"!

personally, i would have just played with the driver but not race him at all because it would not have been worth it. nothing to gain, you know? besides, our 944's have a LOT more that cannot be demonstrated in an impromptu, anonymous citizen vs. citizen drag race.

OUR CARS ARE BECOMING CLASSIC!
Originally Posted by CorsePerVita
Lol james, good point. I will admit when I was a teenager and first started all this I was indeed a "squid" and my friends were "squids". My how our habits change once we realize we're fragile and have a few close calls and decide to be safe eh?
I have to chuckle here. Got my 944 a few years ago because I've always loved the lines of the car and knew they were destined to become classics. I've watched so many cars go that route without owning any of them. I've been riding SB's for 30 years (almost before the category existed). I still get caught riding with shorts, t shirts, flops (but do live in fl). Never without a FF helmet thought (I've eaten more then my share of bugs wearing open face). I'll drink to safe. When I got the R1 I needed at least a month in the saddle before I had the guts to red line the motor - its serious fast but does have the brakes to go with it
Old 10-13-2010, 06:58 AM
James Chimney
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by specsalot
I have to chuckle here. Got my 944 a few years ago because I've always loved the lines of the car and knew they were destined to become classics. I've watched so many cars go that route without owning any of them. I've been riding SB's for 30 years (almost before the category existed). I still get caught riding with shorts, t shirts, flops (but do live in fl). Never without a FF helmet thought (I've eaten more then my share of bugs wearing open face). I'll drink to safe. When I got the R1 I needed at least a month in the saddle before I had the guts to red line the motor - its serious fast but does have the brakes to go with it
I have a 97 Suzuki Bandit 1200 with 130 RWHP (0-60 in 2.3 seconds stock) will not beat an R1 but did ride with a bunch over the years, I had my bike on the track in the Poconos, PA and running flat out at 140mph in a high bank turn and 170 down the front straight riding this bike is the most fun I have ever had with my cloths on. so moving up to a Porsche 944 is almost a natural progression (altho it doesn't have much poop) the handling is great. nothing like a warm sunny day out riding/driving with your buddies hitting the twistys
DRIVE FAST
Old 10-13-2010, 09:27 PM
specsalot
Instructor

Ha - I won't say anything about my 2 wheeling here. 99% of the time I do obey the law. My fantasy is to get a track bike, for taking corners like you ain't supposed to on public roads. I've "Put my bones on the line on 129" Enough said There ain't much on 4 wheels that compares to 2. 944's are about corners and (of course) about classic timeless style
Old 10-13-2010, 09:49 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

there is one rather embarrassing twist to this saga nobody has mentioned....

don't think ricers come up much in conversation over on the 993/996/997/turbo/GT2/GT3 forums.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Baptizo
This didn't cost
me any drachmas
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The Bandit 1200...one of my all time favorites with the old school Gixxer engine like I had in my '92.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:55 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

i don't have these problems anymore. you know a twin turbo v6 with stright pipes scares most kids off(also a good horn). ricers whom ever try anything i just let go. though sometimes teptation gets me. ran a civic last week, it was great, by 45 i'm just going to 2nd, he was heading for 3rd...2nd and 3rd are my long gears going to 120mph b4 4th
Old 10-14-2010, 04:31 AM
piperporsche180944
Burning Brakes

I did a little glory run today, I picked up my 951 from my mechanics shop.

He didn't have much time to tune the car, so he tuned it to run rich and safe at 15lbs. I was persistent that I wanted the car today and told him we could crank up the boost and fine tune it on a later date. He knew Id race my buddy so he made sure it was an extra safe tune.

The competition, a 1998 Chevy Camaro Z28 with a STS Turbo system set at 5lbs of boost....

From 40mph I crawled away and he stayed around my rear tire. He was so happy that his 5.7L turbo stayed nearly even with me..... I laughed.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:26 AM
James Chimney
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by specsalot
Ha - I won't say anything about my 2 wheeling here. 99% of the time I do obey the law. My fantasy is to get a track bike, for taking corners like you ain't supposed to on public roads. I've "Put my bones on the line on 129" Enough said There ain't much on 4 wheels that compares to 2. 944's are about corners and (of course) about classic timeless style
I have to say I know what you are talking about in the conners with bikes (rode like that on the track and street it is like a drug), and these cars with their handling was a natural progression for my from that bike.
129? I haven't beet past 110 in the Porsche yet but will I rather feel this car in the turns...just like I did on the bike.
Now it was fun to put a Ricer down on a bike, I would let then run and make like they where beating me and then just roll past them with no effort, I had a Ferrari blow past me once on the highway, I saw him coming so I dropped it down to 3rd at 70mph and hit it. caught him at 130, passed him and backed off, was great to get on the highway from a dead stop and be passing a car at highway speed before I shifted to 2nd in less than 30 yards.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:39 AM
Mac 86 951
Advanced

This thread makes me happy to live in a land where a '61 impala, or '53 truck is still the garage queens. Our ricers don't last very long because they don't know how to maintain/rebuild a V-Tech.

I will admit, I bought my 951 before my Acura RSX-S, and well, My Acura is NOT a sports car. Not that any one here would argue differently, but there is something to be said about starting with a strong foundation. Since then the carpets and back-seats have been ditched. The better to see the foundation
Old 10-15-2010, 03:17 AM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Is this Rennlist the Porsche information forum used by passionate Porsche owners to share and pool information to help improve the ownership experience and better the cars and their owners as a whole or a StrekStrekStrekStreking street racing forum? This clutter looks like it should be in an off topic section or not here at all. Reading these responses about driving your cars like ******** on the street and racing these "Ricers" makes you guys sound exactly like these "Ricers" you are saying you hate.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:56 AM
bmstraight081
Track Day

You know, I must say that owning a 951 for just a little bit know has been rather interesting. I have had several mustangs and camaros and all were decently quick. I couldn't go anywhere with out some ricer screwing with me. I bought my 951, and ta da, no one and I mean no one will give me that rev anymore. Not that I'm complaining. I passed a guy in a 911 the other day, mid to late 80's model that was absolutly gorgeous. What did he do just wave, same has happened with most older classics and antique cars that I pass. I'm kinda with the mindset that these cars are fast, we know their fast, and well Porsches are know to be fast, so why the hell do I need to prove it to people. I enjoy a slow cruise from time to time and love not being messed with by every jackass kid with a civic. Just my tidbit.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:26 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SirLapsalot
Is this Rennlist the Porsche information forum used by passionate Porsche owners to share and pool information to help improve the ownership experience and better the cars and their owners as a whole or a StrekStrekStrekStreking street racing forum? This clutter looks like it should be in an off topic section or not here at all. Reading these responses about driving your cars like ******** on the street and racing these "Ricers" makes you guys sound exactly like these "Ricers" you are saying you hate.
Yeah I've gotta agree with ya 100%. It's threads like this that really irritate me. I tried to be nice earlier in the thread by telling one of my patented off-topic stories to change the subject but it didn't work.

Can this thread just be closed now?

By the way I see you are located in Dayton. I'm in Bellbrook. Have I seen you around?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:12 AM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

tifosiman I'm glad you agree with me. You probably have not seen me around because I have only recently acquired my 944. It's cool to know there's other people on Rennlist here in Dayton with 944's though. Every once in a while I'll see a 964 or 993 at work with a Rennlist sticker in the window but never a 944.

Quick Reply: Oh Boy I HATE RICERS