Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XSBOOST- project track diet

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 07:44 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default XSBOOST- project track diet

ive always thought my car was pretty cool because i could take it to the track and then when at home i can turn on the a/c, as well as any other factory accessories the car came with. Lately ive been rethinking the direction of my car and how much i actually drive it around on the street anyway. So on that thought, ive been putting my car on a diet.

First i deleted the cruise control- worked fine but how much do i ever use it? Never- so its gone..

Second i purchased an a/c delete braket and tonite installed it, dropping some weight off the nose of the car getting rid of the compressor, condensor, lines, dryer and powdercoated a/c braket. Now i have a billet drop bracket, making less drag on the motor and slightly lower center of gravity, as well as more room for the front of my turbo pipe routing.

Third- not sure i'll save any weight but im ditching the s2 cooler ive been running and installing an RX7 oil cooler, just need to make the custom lines up. Anyone know what this spring and stuff in the mazda oil cooler is? Ive heard about deleting a thermostat or something in them, what do i need to do with this? TIA. Just need to make a braket to hold this beast, spray it black and get the lines made.
Attached Images      
Old 12-05-2009, 07:54 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

the rx7 cooler is significantly heavier than the 951 or s2 cooler. i remember when i had yours i was amazed at how hefty it was, and now i have another to ship to a RLer and it is a beast

please share pictures of your mounting brackets for the rx7 cooler though, i might use one as well.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

See the problem is that..

The hobbit that turns the crankcase is depressed and needs therapy... you need us... get us a new hobbit.

They is from the land before time. The land before time is also gonna hook us up with the unicorn for the radiator.

I aint even gonna tell you about that haunted air conditioner. Plus the air filter, thats made of plutonium, thats gonna involve superman. Plus shipping from krypton. Then the cow jumped over the moon.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:48 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dan, I have one of those A/C delete brackets on the way to me. How was it to install? Did you notice much difference?
Old 12-05-2009, 10:11 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Dan, did you make the bracket yourself? I've seen some that have more cut out of them is all.
Be nice to see just how much weight you can strip out of it. I can't remember if you have a cage or not?
Old 12-05-2009, 10:32 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

bought this bracket on ebay from a rennlister who had posted about the "kit" - belt/hardware/bracket

not the fanciest looking thing ever but who cares, i can barely see the thing in there anyway.

Originally my idea was to just gut the car out and make it a track only car, but i think taking it all down would just break my heart since its a really nice car to start. Now im going to take as much weight out as possible without totally gutting the car, like a lightweight 911 only- a turbo 944. I'll try to shave weight without making it real obvious.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:43 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's kind of amazing how much that AC stuff weighs - I had to pull mine out, since it was originally an SCCA car, and it was required (as original equipment).
Dan - I see a full race car coming- just do it!
Old 12-06-2009, 04:37 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

if you need to save maybe 15-20 more lbs remove the carpet and remove the nasty *** smelly old carpet insulation that the factory put it and replace it with lightweight thick carpet pad (i used the 40oz weight stuff, nice and squishy and keeps things quiet) and no one will know.

remove the spare tire/tools and cut out the tire bin and weld a sheet in place of the hole.

go to a manual sunroof, thats probably 5lbs of power stuff mounted pretty high too.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:45 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan that thermostat is used as an oil bypassing. It just acts as a regular thermostat and block oil flow to the cooler on start up. Simple enough, but you cannot just remove the thermostat, heres why:

The end of the cooler that the hoses attach to is divided into two chambers. The thermostat fills a hole that goes from the intake side to the output side- when the thermostat is cold this hole is open and most of the oil bypasses the cooler matrix and just flows right back to the engine. As the thermostat gets warm it expands, closes off this bypass hole and the oil is forced through the cooler matrix.

If you simply remove the thermostat, the bypass is always open and the oil will simply take the path of least resistance and flow right back to the engine rather than endure the confines of the cooler tubes.

So what you need to do is fill that hole. A nut, bolt, and some washers do the trick. Sounds hacked but thats how all the RX-7 guys do it with no problems. I've been helping my buddy rebuild his 1st gen and we are using a 2nd gen cooler. So my rant is OFF.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:56 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

^ Great info, thanks Mr. Banana. I'll be doing this in a little while, too.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:18 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

installing the mount wasnt bad. With the turbo in there its tough to get to the upper rear bolt but once it was loose it came out pretty easy. After that it was a breeze.

as far as loosing weight, im thinking of pulling the sunroof all together and welding in a delete roof skin. Cutting out the tire well is difficult because the gas tank strap is welded into the side of it. I'll prob pull the tools and compressor out, i also need to replace the early offset spare w/ a red alloy late offset spare.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:56 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

dibs on the a/c stuff.

How much you want for it all? I need a new bracket too I think (mine doesn't rotate freely).
Old 12-06-2009, 12:15 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

dan, could you measure those fittings on the rx7 cooler when you get a chance?
Old 12-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

My take: if it's not necessary to make the car go (or go faster) it comes out of the car. Of course it has to NOT have a negative safety impact.

Things I've removed recently:
  • Bumper shocks
  • Front tie-down brackets
  • Headlight motor
  • A/C
  • Cruise control
  • Charcoal canister
  • Rear wiper
  • Electric rear trunk release
  • Spare tire bracket
  • Sunroof

You get the idea. I've kept heat and defroster - for all that rain racing!
Old 12-06-2009, 04:37 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

what did you do w/ the charcoal canister? did you remove all of the crap it hooks to? I use the tie down brackets so i need those - headlight motor is gone, rear wiper ande cruise is gone- rear trunk release is a good idea.

Quick Reply: XSBOOST- project track diet