Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Post - Interest in DIY chip tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 10:41 PM
phil823
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

running Filter ->AFM-> SC->IC->intake, you should have constant linear boost, since it wont be limited buy the Barn Door opening and will be pushing pressured air at idle, and the cars RPM will make a linear boost through Rpm range. the issue with it will be to get the pullys right so the boost hits efficiantly and enough to overcome the parasidic loss, at as low of RPM as possible, while being able to spool up as much possible to the SC limits without overboosting the engine. you will probably be starting at 3-4 PSI and attempting to end with say 9-10 PSI at 6k.

that way you are not constantly hitting 10PSI which might stress the engine and clutch. the linear boost would almost be like a turbo lag of sorts. although you are getting HP gains off the line, with the power gaining through the RPM range. i think this would be safer to run in drivability, weather condtions, mechanical wear.

to get a constant 10psi or so Boost im not sure how you would do this, in our cars you cant put the SC before the AFM because the way the barn door is, it would never close, thus the DME would read it wierd. and the belts only roll at such a speed to spool the SC at such a speed.

most SC dont seem to build good boost till about 3k though, preferably you want boost to start at 2500 in our cars since 3rd gear 3k rpm is the sweet power spot. you already want a decent amount of boost at that point to make most use of the gearing.

the vacuum things your referring to seems slightly weird. its like a vacuum operated clutch. although it would be run and would feel like a hit of NOS, it would not be as efficient and might actually cause control issues on some surfaces and places, it would be like turbo lag in a turn.
where does the vacuum line get its vacuum from? i think you could make a vacuum bypass to make it read full vacuum all times for constant boost

i think the m62 although more heat, if using an IC wouldnt matter as much. the smaller space make fro more room in the engine bay for piping. also the loss of power due to heat might help as a failsafe against overboosting. every 1F of increase temp is equally ruffly to 1RWHP, when it comes to the boosting it could lower the combustion efficency of air density thus making it ok.

the M62 is about 2 inches shorter about 1 inch less wide
Old 12-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

phil, you are thinking about centrifugal superchargers...
Spencer is using a positive-displacement supercharger - it will provide nearly instant max set boost at probably anything much above idle.

-Rogue
Old 12-14-2009, 10:57 PM
DANNiE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
yea ive looked at those but they are mega expensive. i like the clutched idea. however youd have to program something in for it. on the kompressor the supercharger is used primarily at lower speeds to get the car off the line smoothly. as the engine speed picks up and the 4 cylinder gets into its power range the sc shuts off.
Its actually the opposite... The SC/Kompressor stays off until the car hits WOT or WOT after 2200 RPM

So actually all you would have to rig up is a RPM & WOT Switch relay...

Whats nice about it is that it is Side mounted on the motor and allows for intercooler setup... What the problem is re-engineering the AC/Alternator Bracket to allow space for the Kompressor...
Old 12-14-2009, 11:30 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

well that certainly is interesting. my mistake then
Old 12-14-2009, 11:33 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by phil823
the vacuum things your referring to seems slightly weird. its like a vacuum operated clutch. although it would be run and would feel like a hit of NOS, it would not be as efficient and might actually cause control issues on some surfaces and places, it would be like turbo lag in a turn.
where does the vacuum line get its vacuum from? i think you could make a vacuum bypass to make it read full vacuum all times for constant boost
vacuum signal comes off the throttle body iirc on the supercoupe, as it will on mine. the only control issue necessary would be your right foot and how eager you are with it. the valve opens based on a certain amount of vacuum, dependent on throttle position. there is no lag. if you wanted constant boost you would simply not install the valve.

i think the m62 although more heat, if using an IC wouldnt matter as much. the smaller space make fro more room in the engine bay for piping. also the loss of power due to heat might help as a failsafe against overboosting. every 1F of increase temp is equally ruffly to 1RWHP, when it comes to the boosting it could lower the combustion efficency of air density thus making it ok.
there is no 'overboosting' here. the blower puts out a fixed amount of air every revolution which is then used by the engine every revolution. full boost is there at basically any rpm.
Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
phil, you are thinking about centrifugal superchargers...
Spencer is using a positive-displacement supercharger - it will provide nearly instant max set boost at probably anything much above idle.

Quick Reply: X-Post - Interest in DIY chip tuning?