Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Post - Interest in DIY chip tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009 | 05:30 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

BTW just made a long-winded post in the DIY-Tuning thread, on the 951 side...
Old 12-09-2009 | 07:55 AM
phil823
Advanced

Read through the whole 951 thread. This is simply amazing! The work you have done is stunning. And will help the whole community out!

I also am HIGHLY interested in na tuning. Even though I have an 84. Iwould deft upgrade the afm and rme for this ( what late model year dmes are best? I know the 3.1 is he upgraded one)
I've never done tuning before but if you could make a set of baseline maps for the na it would fantastic.

A side note: what causes the 944 stumble. And what fix do the aftermarket chip people make to fix it? This might be good to include in the baselines!

Also i see tuning the na would be easier than turbo. I read about maf kits. But what about injector upgrades and port and polishing? Would those be accessable from the tuning to allow the most benifit.
This tuning could also be amazing for long trips! You could have a seperated tune with retarted timing and slightly leaner af ration as to achieve better mpg.

Types on iPhone. Please forgive poor formatting
Old 12-09-2009 | 09:47 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Cool thread. How bout a 924S?
Old 12-09-2009 | 03:03 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by phil823
I also am HIGHLY interested in na tuning. Even though I have an 84. Iwould deft upgrade the afm and rme for this ( what late model year dmes are best? I know the 3.1 is he upgraded one)
I've never done tuning before but if you could make a set of baseline maps for the na it would fantastic.
AFAIK, any of the 86+ AFM/DME combos will work. As with the 951, I will provide a baseline map to get everyone started. The idea is to create a community, where everyone can share their tunes, and solutions...

A side note: what causes the 944 stumble. And what fix do the aftermarket chip people make to fix it? This might be good to include in the baselines!
Which stumble are you referring to, the return to idle after letting off the throttle shudder?

Also i see tuning the na would be easier than turbo. I read about maf kits. But what about injector upgrades and port and polishing? Would those be accessable from the tuning to allow the most benifit.
Injector upgrades will be possible, I'll include control for the FQS (which acts like a global fuel scaler). Any flow increases done (like port & polish) can be tuned for as well.

This tuning could also be amazing for long trips! You could have a seperated tune with retarted timing and slightly leaner af ration as to achieve better mpg.
Good idea But for best mileage, you want a leaner AFR and more timing (to account for the slower burn rate of the leaner AFR).

-Rogue
Old 12-09-2009 | 03:04 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by whalebird
Cool thread. How bout a 924S?
IIRC, the 924S uses pretty much the exact same hardware as the late 944? If so, then yes the 924S can also use this DIY setup!

-Rogue
Old 12-09-2009 | 05:12 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Interested here also , let us know !
Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Ok, I finally have some time to work on the NA definition... Should be out this week.
Injectors scaling is not limited - could swap in large injectors if desired.

-Rogue
Old 12-09-2009 | 05:17 PM
phil823
Advanced

correct me if im wrong but the 924S was the same as the early 944's i thought....

your right, advance the timing and make it leaner...i was getting a bit drowzy typing all that on the iphone whilest laying in bed at 5am.....damn insomnia!

So for $215 you can get the ostrich and booster from (unless you can fine one used...i saw one on one of these porsche forums for 100$ it was in a MAF posting.)

i think FRWILKS charges 325...so this could potentally a cheaper alternative if you dont mind a little work!

Another Question!!
with this setup...could be upload our current Aftermarket chips profile into the program for review and more baselines/hints?

AND ANOTHER!
i was reading about future timing advance in the 951 forums and you talked about getting a knock sensor/counter. people are saying they hook this into the KLR....the NA doesnt have a KLR so how would you go about hooking it up...its need the input right....
then again do NA need the knock sensor sense we are not boosting...i would think that would only be needed in Turbo/SC

Last edited by phil823; 12-09-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2009 | 09:37 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Another Question!!
with this setup...could be upload our current Aftermarket chips profile into the program for review and more baselines/hints?
If you have an Aftermarket chip - you can send it to me, I'll pull the data off, check for proper operation with TunerPro, and then send you back a digital image, and the chip.

AND ANOTHER!
i was reading about future timing advance in the 951 forums and you talked about getting a knock sensor/counter. people are saying they hook this into the KLR....the NA doesnt have a KLR so how would you go about hooking it up...its need the input right....
then again do NA need the knock sensor sense we are not boosting...i would think that would only be needed in Turbo/SC
I'm working on a knock solution for the NA guys...

-Rogue
Old 12-09-2009 | 10:30 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

OK...maybe I'm dumb (NOT trying to be a dick).... but what is the purpose for an NA car?

I mean, there is really no need for us to tune our cars more than once, as we can't vary boost levels, add innercoolers, or anything else. Any upgrades we do (cam, port and polish) are extremely expensive (compared to the rest of the cars value) and will see little gains anyway.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier for us to buy a good chip and be done? Russell Berry has even said that if we do make changes to our engines, he would re-burn his chip to match.

For a turbo ride.... this is fantastic, but for an NA, I just can see buying all the equipment to do this.
Old 12-09-2009 | 10:45 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Because if you do happen to do those upgrades on the NA then something like this is a godsend.

Rogue, i have an 87 DME with an autothority next time theres a meet i can bring it if you want to rip the chip.

I'm interested! I have a stock 88 dme in the car right now but i was curious as to the difference between the maps and such (as in what the hell does that autothority do besides raise the rev limit...)

What about 16v cars? dads got an S2 with a 968 motor and is thinking about supercharging it....
Old 12-09-2009 | 11:09 PM
phil823
Advanced

the point of it on NA's is for allowing for modifications to be done!

but it also its an opening for SMALL Supercharger Projects...(5psi or so is what the DME can handle)

if you wanted a small m42 or such with larger injectors, different headers, ICer, possible homebrew Maf, porting and polishing (some people with shops can do this themselves...lucky people).
also as i said you could have multiple profiles! 1 for long road trips maximizing MPG, 1 for track/autocross, one for street that doesn't eat gas horribly.

i could also see Porsche-files using this on kids cars for autocrosses and such as you could limit with DME i believe like a governor.

on top of all this, learning to tune a car correctly and efficiently is supposed to be a very useful and enlightening skill to have. this can transfer over to many other cars. also knowing how your cars runs and how the DME affects it all, cause and effect, helps everyone to understand the inner workings of the car actually work!
Old 12-09-2009 | 11:22 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

And I agree with both of you 100%....

The only thing that make it iffy for me is, you're talking about 2-3hp or 2-3mpg. The NA engine just doesn't improve enough with ANY mod to make it worth the money and effort.

Plus, Russell Berry (MaxHP) makes a fantastic NA chip (which I have). He's said that if any modifications are done to your car, and you already own his chip, he will re-burn it for you to correct for the mods.

I can't compete with that. (I'm talking about an NA car here .... if your adding a supercharger, then its no longer NA, and correcting the tune would be beneficial)
Old 12-09-2009 | 11:27 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by m73m95
OK...maybe I'm dumb (NOT trying to be a dick).... but what is the purpose for an NA car?

I mean, there is really no need for us to tune our cars more than once, as we can't vary boost levels, add innercoolers, or anything else. Any upgrades we do (cam, port and polish) are extremely expensive (compared to the rest of the cars value) and will see little gains anyway.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier for us to buy a good chip and be done? Russell Berry has even said that if we do make changes to our engines, he would re-burn his chip to match.

For a turbo ride.... this is fantastic, but for an NA, I just can see buying all the equipment to do this.
All the equipment...? It is a simple emulator <$200, and free software...
Last time I check the RB's chip was ~$200. I guess this simply comes down to if you want to be able to tune in real-time, learn the inner workings of your car, and have the ability to adjust for potential upgrades...

-Rogue
Old 12-09-2009 | 11:29 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by Arominus
Because if you do happen to do those upgrades on the NA then something like this is a godsend.

Rogue, i have an 87 DME with an autothority next time theres a meet i can bring it if you want to rip the chip.

I'm interested! I have a stock 88 dme in the car right now but i was curious as to the difference between the maps and such (as in what the hell does that autothority do besides raise the rev limit...)

What about 16v cars? dads got an S2 with a 968 motor and is thinking about supercharging it....
Cool - I'll bring my stuff, the next meet-up.
The 16v cars are on the "to-do" list. But I don't plan on having anything out for them before the end of the year...
Old 12-09-2009 | 11:40 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
All the equipment...? It is a simple emulator <$200, and free software...
Last time I check the RB's chip was ~$200. I guess this simply comes down to if you want to be able to tune in real-time, learn the inner workings of your car, and have the ability to adjust for potential upgrades...

-Rogue
If experience and learning something new is the goal for the NA owner, then absolutly. This is fantastic!

I just reread my posts, and I apologize if I was sounding pessimistic. I just think that spending time and money on improving the NA engine is all in vane. You could spend thousands of dollars and make 30 more HP. (I know you system is less than $200, but its still only 2-3hp in an NA car)

However, for a turbo car, this is brilliant (I've said my piece .... I shall interrupt no more!)

Quick Reply: X-Post - Interest in DIY chip tuning?