Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slick Storage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:37 AM
jamesjedi
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Slick Storage?

I have searched and did not find any information on storage of slicks. Is it OK to leave them in my VERY cold garage this winter, or should I bring them inside?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

James
Old 12-12-2009, 12:17 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't realy know know about slicks but I,ve been storing tires for years in a cold garage don't seem to bother them every years come November up here we switch to winter tires so we got 2 set of wheels for our two daily drivers the only thing is don't pile them up on top of each other if there not on rims ,lay them flat if possible or in a tigth spot " Standing up".Cold weather here is from 0 to -30 anything above 0 is heaven.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:19 PM
jamesjedi
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I will definately have to move them.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:38 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Hoosier:
Don't store tires in sub-freezing temperatures for any length of time. (The rubber can freeze and may crack as a result.) Make sure the temperature range in the storage location is between 40-90 degrees Fahrenheit.

Toyo:
When storing the tires for the winter or off-season follow these simple steps. Try to keep them stored in a temperature above freezing, ideally indoors with low humidity. Take the RA1's off and put them in plastic bags for storage. Keep them dry and out of the sun and heat. Race tires are very sensitive to extreme weather, be it hot or cold.

Cold Storage Warning from Toyo: http://www.racetire.com/products/bul...ireStorage.pdf
Old 12-12-2009, 03:00 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Originally Posted by shiners780
Hoosier:
Don't store tires in sub-freezing temperatures for any length of time. (The rubber can freeze and may crack as a result.) Make sure the temperature range in the storage location is between 40-90 degrees Fahrenheit.

Toyo:
When storing the tires for the winter or off-season follow these simple steps. Try to keep them stored in a temperature above freezing, ideally indoors with low humidity. Take the RA1's off and put them in plastic bags for storage. Keep them dry and out of the sun and heat. Race tires are very sensitive to extreme weather, be it hot or cold.

Cold Storage Warning from Toyo: http://www.racetire.com/products/bul...ireStorage.pdf
Does it apply to racing tires only or all tires, asking because like I said been storing mine in the cold for years & also my 944 was store for the last 25 yrs in an unheated garage and the tires never crack in both case " could it be the slicks rubber compond making the difference?.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:14 PM
jamesjedi
Rennlist Member

Thanks, informative, I will bring them inside.

James
Old 12-13-2009, 10:36 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Slicks cannot be stored in cold temps. it will ruin them.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:39 AM
TNT25169
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A close friend of mine who was a go-kart national champ used to wrap his tires in seran wrap and put them in the freezer. He also worked as a tire engineer analyzing blow-outs on passenger vehicles and presenting his findings in court cases. He advised I wrap my Hoosier auto-x slicks in seran wrap and put them in my cold barn when not using them. Maybe there is a difference between kart tires and passenger tires but that's just what I was told...
Old 12-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I think any tire will benefit from an air-tight wrapping. It keeps the compounds from gassing-out which eventually hardens the tire. As to cold, I've read all the warnings and what I can't say for sure is whether the tires will suffer deterioration just experiencing cold temps, or whether it's that any use of the tires (even sitting on a stationary car) at cold temps subjects them to cracking. In other words, if the tires are not bearing weight, does the cold-cycle hurt the compound? My gut says that cold can't hurt a tire that's not under any load... but slicks are expensive!
Old 12-15-2009, 01:03 AM
Norm Swanberg
Advanced

My understanding with Toyo RA-1's is don't let them freeze. I am in California and occasionally get 20 degrees or so. They are off the car, on rims with 1/2 normal pressure, on the garage floor with blankets over them. The garage floor will try to stay close to ground temp. This should be enough that they won't freeze in my garage. Colder climates may be a different story.
Norm

Quick Reply: Slick Storage?