Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 924/944 today

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 12:16 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Great looking car Archer. You might want to think about ditching that front tag bracket from that beautiful Turbo nose. On my S2 (which shares the Turbo nose) I removed the bracket and rummaged thru my tool box for some small round headed rivets that would just slide into the holes in the bumper. I glued them in place (with what I don't remember) and carefully painted them with factory touch-up paint, flowing the paint to just contact the bumper surface. When dry it gives the look of a undrilled factory setup, the rivets appearing to need drilled out to mount the bracket
Old 10-26-2018, 08:38 AM
Archer911
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jhowell371
Great looking car Archer. You might want to think about ditching that front tag bracket from that beautiful Turbo nose. On my S2 (which shares the Turbo nose) I removed the bracket and rummaged thru my tool box for some small round headed rivets that would just slide into the holes in the bumper. I glued them in place (with what I don't remember) and carefully painted them with factory touch-up paint, flowing the paint to just contact the bumper surface. When dry it gives the look of a undrilled factory setup, the rivets appearing to need drilled out to mount the bracket
He c'mon man, that is one beautiful bracket!!!. But seriously it does bother me every time I take a shot of the car. I do have to carry the front plate with me as 2 are required here and I will get pulled over for not having one some day (almost everyone has that I have talked to) so until I find a solution the bracket stays. It would be even more obvious if the car weren't black. I may take a Sharpie and black out the screw receivers BUT as the car is 100% original I am not in any hurry to change what the boys back in Neckarsulm did so many decades ago.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:15 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Wink

[QUOTE=Archer911;15387700] I do have to carry the front plate with me as 2 are required here and I will get pulled over for not having one some day (almost everyone has that I have talked to) so until I find a solution the bracket stays."
My state requires a front tag too so I ordered a front tag mount that screws into the tow hook receptacle. That way if I get stopped, "Jeez Officer, I just forgot to put it back on before driving after working on it". You know that damn tag always digs into your shins when leaning in the engine bay worked for 5 years far One good rule to remember is never break more than one law at a time, increases your chances of the Officer letting you get away with it. YMMV
Old 10-26-2018, 09:51 AM
alfonso944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@th535is Clean looking interior! The MOMO wheels fits in and looks great.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:53 AM
alfonso944
Intermediate

@Archer911 Great Pic!! Clean 944!
Old 10-26-2018, 10:04 AM
rothaus
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A little in the year, finished the AC install on my 944 Hybrid. Made all custom lines. Now I have cool air, LOL

Old 10-26-2018, 11:39 PM
Archer911
Banned

Originally Posted by alfonso944
@Archer911 Great Pic!! Clean 944!
Thanks man.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:31 PM
Archer911
Banned

Changed the transaxle fluid. The original fluid had been in the case since leaving the factory but was still clean looking. Used SWEPCO 201 as a replacement. Bought the $12 pump that fits down inside the bottle and screws on to where the cap was. The first 5 minutes of driving didn't feel quite right but after that shifting felt normal.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:06 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

It was another mixed bag day in 944 land.

Took it in for an alignment. I had just done the ball joints, so it needed done. Took it to a "reputable" shop that had been able to do an alignment on a fellow PCA members 928. They got it up on the rack and then told me they couldn't align it because of the driver side inner tie rod end being shot. Normally I would call BS, seems shops ALWAYS want to do tie rods. However I had told him about doing the ball joints earlier so when we told me he said "I'm sure your going to do it yourself, just bring it back in".

I did ask him to quote me, cause if Autozone had them in stock I was tempted to let them do it so I could get it done. PCA Palooza is next week and I really want it done by next Thursday! But he couldn't even find inners through his supplier!! So I guess I'm going to order some up tonight and hope I can get them done next week before Palooza! He also said "You might want to do your rack since it's leaking" but my front seals are leaking so bad I'm not sure how we could tell...

I also pulled my instrument cluster and switch tree. Switch tree I pulled to address the fact my high-beams don't work, and left turn signal "return" has never really worked. Last time I pulled both I had taken a small file and tried to clean the contacts. High-beams worked for a month or so after that, then went dead again. So this time I drilled out the rivets and took it apart. I cleaned ALL the contact. High-beams work again now. We'll see if they stay working. I hit the turn signal return switch with some lithium grease, but to be honest the whole thing works fine bench testing. Did last time also. But I'd had this nagging feeling since last year that the tree is mounted too "deep". Too far down the steering shaft. So I did some testing with it mounted 5-8mm more shallow (closer to the steering wheel) and in testing it was working 100% returning the left signal!!!! Since I won't we putting the cluster back in till tomorrow, full testing won't happen till then. When I bolt the steering wheel back on.

The cluster I pulled for two reasons. The main reason is that ever since I pulled it last year and did the "restore" on the reflectors and replaced all the bulbs with LEDS, I've had an issue where only 1-2 of the reflector bulbs would work at a time. Every bump and 1-2 would go out, changing which ones with every bump. Very annoying at night! Felt like I was driving a dance club!! Pulled the front cover and plugged it back in, touching 2 of the 3 bulbs would cause them to go on/off. After some playing, it seemed to me it was more the bulb holders making poor connection than it was the bulbs themselves. I pulled all three, used really fine sand paper on the board connections, a small file to clean the holder connections, and a pick to bend the connection ears up. All three seem nice and tight now. Also didn't twist them ALL the way in, as that part of the board connections were really worn. Limited testing showed I could touch and wiggle the lights without them going out. So fixed?? Time will tell.

2nd reason I pulled the cluster is because I have a 22 tooth OD gear arriving tomorrow. I had ordered a 21 tooth last year, and my OD is EXACTLY 10% off. While I'm not convinced 1 tooth will make a 10% difference, it will be closer. The OD shop couldn't tell me what criteria Porsche used on OD's. Their experience had been it seems random. Some are 21, some are 22. That's just how it is. We'll see tomorrow!

Also had an exhaust shop do some welding to try and seal up some leaks and solve some rattles. So far the issues have been resolved. On a plus side I also have more boost since I'm not leaking, and it's not as annoyingly loud!!!
Old 11-02-2018, 01:03 AM
bman12three4
7th Gear

Replaced the brakes while I wait for the engine to come back from machine shop. I thought I had a stuck brake caliper but it turns out it's just a brake hose, so that's a plus.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:28 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Not today but over last week or so, I have replaced the gear in the odometer. Haad the clip the gear goes into break but glued it up and said a prayer to the 944 god lol All working great. I also replaced the speedo dial with a 300 KPH dial

300 KPH RUF dial

I also fitted a new alcantara shift boot and polyurethane shifter dampers.

I also made a custom trim panel for my Zeitronix ZT2 display. This one is the prototype, so a little rough, but all parts are on the way for the final panel that will feature black billet LED switches and obviously be better finished. I also moved the eboost 1 EBC

Old 11-02-2018, 12:22 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Bruce - Nice shifter dampers! What do you think about the 300 km/h gauge? I saw that item on eBay and wanted to pull the trigger but the font on the '3' of '300' looked wrong. It may have been corrected since.

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
Not today but over last week or so, I have replaced the gear in the odometer. Haad the clip the gear goes into break but glued it up and said a prayer to the 944 god lol All working great. I also replaced the speedo dial with a 300 KPH dial

300 KPH RUF dial
Old 11-02-2018, 08:54 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KVDR
Bruce - Nice shifter dampers! What do you think about the 300 km/h gauge? I saw that item on eBay and wanted to pull the trigger but the font on the '3' of '300' looked wrong. It may have been corrected since.
It's from the same guy and I believe that they are fixed now. I would shoot him a question on ebay to confirm he will send you the fixed 300 dial. I really like the dial. The surface is just slightly shinier than factory gauges but in the car you can't see it at all.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:01 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Lots of stuff done lately on the 951. Last night was new OD gear (still 10%~ off tho. Have tried both 21 and 22 teeth gears now) Got all my dash lights working right (before only about 1 would work at once, and the working one would change at every bump). I also did my best to fix some other flaky bulbs, they didn't go in and out while driving, but even lightly touching them caused them to flicker. It seems the biggest problem is after 32 years the bulbs have dug gouges into the board, pretty much ruining the connection. Light sanding does seem to help some, but bending the bulb contacts to make a tighter connection seems to help the most. They are still flaky, but not as bad.

Also discovered my emergency brake light fix from last year had failed. Hadn't noticed till I was testing the dash on reinstall (don't think it's been broken long however). Investigation showed the wire had broke at the solder point. I guess there was some stress the way I had the wiring ran, and a years working of the E-brake action broke the wire. Un-soldered the old broken wire and re-soldered a new one at a different angle and routed the wire differently. I'm hoping that will ease the stress.

I'm pretty proud of that switch. I'm not sure what had happened to it in the past, but I seems something had gotten caught between the lever and the switch at some point in it's life. It had been totally mangled. Took some doing to rebuild it. I know their cheap, but there is some pride in fixing over buying! LOL.

Also got the steering wheel straightened up. Now just waiting on tie rods and I feel most of the major stuff is now addressed (aside form the OD being off).

Except the oil leaks....
And separating rear hatch glass
Leaking sunroof? Something is.
Small coolant leak
Won't maintain temp when it's really cold (yes instead of overheating, I have not heating enough problems)
Entire crap paint job from the doors back, and one rear panel rotting
Ruff idle and take off when cold
Assorted rattles
Broken exhaust stud and tons of exhaust leaks...

*sigh*
Old 11-06-2018, 10:06 AM
alfonso944
Intermediate

Finally got the all the parking lights, headlights and the euro bumper fogs wired up and working yesterday. Just need to wire the LED fog light in the buckets for daytime lights.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 924/944 today