Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 924/944 today

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 03:00 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I spent some time beating on it with a 4 pound hammer.

Rolling and stretching the fenders resulted in a slight flare to the drivers side fender. Less clearance was needed on the passenger side so less rolling and stretching was done there. I decided it looked unbalanced so I did some work to give the passenger side the same amount of flare as the drivers side.

My neighbors think I am insane.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:03 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

You probably are.
Started work on prepping the hood for paint on my 931.
This is such a nice car, love the dog leg gearbox, love the power and torque delivery.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:47 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed a new 944 MAX DME EPROM from maxhpkit.com

I might get flamed for saying these things, but it is just seat of the pants impression.

I would have to agree with the other posters out on the forums who have said that an aftermarket chip (944MAX, Wilkes, AutoThority, etc) makes the engine seem smoother and with more torque. I wouldn't say that it feels peakier or like there's more HP at the top end. But, for drive-ability, it does seem like it has added torque across the range.

My exhaust note is actually quieter, which is interesting. The stock DME chip had it running with a Braap-braap kind of sound (aftermarket exhaust), and it is now deeper and quieter. Interesting and unexpected.

One definitely doesn't feel like you got a turbo installed. It is much more subtle. If you had two cars, one with the stock chip and one with this chip, you could tell a driver, the stock is a 2.5L and the 944MAX is a 2.7L and they would probably believe it. A small change, but nice.

But, hey, it adds a little bit to the driving fun, so I am all for it. Just happy I didn't bork the DME unit.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:32 AM
joeystanker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoulderGeek
I installed a new 944 MAX DME EPROM from maxhpkit.com

I might get flamed for saying these things, but it is just seat of the pants impression.

I would have to agree with the other posters out on the forums who have said that an aftermarket chip (944MAX, Wilkes, AutoThority, etc) makes the engine seem smoother and with more torque. I wouldn't say that it feels peakier or like there's more HP at the top end. But, for drive-ability, it does seem like it has added torque across the range.

My exhaust note is actually quieter, which is interesting. The stock DME chip had it running with a Braap-braap kind of sound (aftermarket exhaust), and it is now deeper and quieter. Interesting and unexpected.

One definitely doesn't feel like you got a turbo installed. It is much more subtle. If you had two cars, one with the stock chip and one with this chip, you could tell a driver, the stock is a 2.5L and the 944MAX is a 2.7L and they would probably believe it. A small change, but nice.

But, hey, it adds a little bit to the driving fun, so I am all for it. Just happy I didn't bork the DME unit.
Boulder,
Sounds like you are making great progress. Cool.
Thanks for your point of view on the new DME.
Very interesting Sir.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:06 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default little stuff

While recovering from knee replacement surgery, I decided to do some of the little stuff, since I can't go digging around on or under the car for a while. Pulled the steering wheel (Momo evolution) so I can replace it (Momo Race) and pulled the gauge cluster to replace the odometer gear and do the gauge light upgrade.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:28 AM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
...pulled the gauge cluster to replace the odometer gear and do the gauge light upgrade.
Last night was the first time I drove with lights, at twilight. Found out that my gauge cluster has no illumination, but exterior lights all work.

I guess that I, also, will need to pull dash to get into instrument cluster and see what's going on. I ordered new LEDs for interior lights and dash (superbrightleds was having yet another sale).

Do you really have to pull the steering wheel to get to the dash lights?
Old 06-01-2015, 11:56 AM
joeystanker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoulderGeek
Last night was the first time I drove with lights, at twilight. Found out that my gauge cluster has no illumination, but exterior lights all work.

I guess that I, also, will need to pull dash to get into instrument cluster and see what's going on. I ordered new LEDs for interior lights and dash (superbrightleds was having yet another sale).

Do you really have to pull the steering wheel to get to the dash lights?
BG,
I have now pulled my dash so many times it's like unplugging the cigarette lighter :-)
Pulling the steering wheel makes things easier to get out.
It's also a piece of cake ;-)
Clark's Garage is your friend: http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-06.htm
Old 06-01-2015, 12:36 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

BoulderGeek, you don't need to pull the dash to fix the illumination -- the cluster comes out separately. Have you made sure it isn't a blown fuse? Seems odd that all the bulbs would be fried. +1 on SBLED retrofit.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:18 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Drove it on the twisties!

Last edited by morghen; 06-02-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:33 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

My MPG gauge on my '84 started going wonky after a long drive tonight. When I'm cruising or moving in general, it'd stay pegged at 60MPG at any RPM and never moves; but if I come to a complete stop, it starts moving on it's own between 20-40MPG.

What to do?
Old 06-04-2015, 08:54 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl_W944
What to do?
Cover it with a piece of tape.

Unfortunately you have an early car. Other wise you could borrow one of my clusters to see if it is the gauge. My guess is that is in the wiring. You might want to do some research on how it functions. There may be a vacuum line involved as well. I used to know more about this - but now that I have an S2, I don't have that silly gauge. Fuel economy became passe by the time the Turbo and S2 models came along...
Old 06-05-2015, 02:04 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Power washed the underside of the car. 2/3 of the crap under there splashed back in my face. The car is 10 pounds lighter and I am 7 pounds heavier. Yuck, time to hit the showers.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:47 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Restored my undertray. It had some ghetto bedliner sprayed on it at some point in its life, and had 30 years worth of 20W-50 everywhere. Wire wheel and brakleen to the rescue... then some engine enamel to finish the job and make it easy to wash off any oil and grime in the future.

First pic shows the progress after about an hour.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:40 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

The undertray looks great.

I did some more power washing and installed a 044 fuel pump. AOR transmission goes in tomorrow.

I received a set of clear lenses for the rear side markers. I need to glue them to the housings from my original side markers. Any recommendations on a strong glue that won't turn yellow over time?
Old 06-05-2015, 11:44 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 129 Posts

JB weld now makes a two tube epoxy called clear weld..4400psi tensile..comes in a double syringe setup..

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 924/944 today