Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last friendly chance for Shawn Morrison

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Blah, blah, blah....

14 pages and counting.

C.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm glad I stayed out of this thread, just here to help Chad see 18
Old 05-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just here to push the page count.

Hope that the both of you can reach a mutually agreeable compromise.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:04 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joska
Mike,

I have a great idea. You pick up the car in NJ for 27k. You do the easy mods and sell it for 30k. This would be 3k just like this. Deal?
No, but you can pay me to come do the easy mods for you. I didn't want to buy the car in the first place (I enjoy building cars, not buying prebuilt. It's just not for me). However you did buy a 15 year old car, heavily modified, sight unseen. Stuff like this is to be expected. It has happened to myself, friends, and business associates time and time again. You negotiated down from $35k to $27k and requested it didn't come with the seats or wheels from what I gather in your posts/emails. I guess it seems a bit "odd" to me (kind of like your comment about open dump, which by the way, is the standard for modified aftermarket turbo systems.... as it allows the turbo system to BREATH).
Old 05-03-2009, 12:19 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Time to close the post for now. I hope everyone is happy. I will do my best to improve further my English.
I have a great idea. You pick up the car in NJ for 27k. You do the easy mods and sell it for 30k. This would be 3k just like this.
So as of now, we are up to 6,000 views and still counting? I am just astonished as I said in my previous post why this was ever made public. Why Joska? I don't know you, nor do I know Shawn at all, so I have no vested interest in my upcoming comments below, except to help benefit this community. So let me say this to you and 'all' Members so that something like this never happens again. There should be some basic codes of ethics, professionalism, and protocol. First and foremost, an agreement between two people via RL, is between them. If the parties develop a deal, agree to a contract, and execute, then both need to be prepared 'if' they are any disputes and things that may be challenged. This is basic buy-sell agreement, right? One would think. So now one party is disenchanted with the actual representation of the car. Well, lets take a step back first as to what a prospective buyer should do, in order to make a prudent purchase, moreso if he isn't local to the seller. Just some random thoughts here, but first, ask for all documentation-records, gather 'tons' of pics from all different angles, have the car done with a complete PPI, and 'if' possible, have a friend or someone that 'the buyer' trusts to look over the car, for any potential red flags, but hopefully to confirm how the car was represented. So far, this is an absolute no brainer that 'any' prospective buyer should do, in person but even more so if its done on the Net. From your post above, I suspect you didn't do a very detailed inspection and suggest someone else buy it?

And how can I say these things, and know this is the most prudent way to purchase a car via the Net? Because I have purchased several 944Ts, as most old timers here know, via the Net, site unseen. I did my due diligence as I stated above, and was satisfied with the purchases 'I' made. So I can speak from vast experience. But if I wasn't happy with the final representation of the car, who is to blame? Me, and no one else, period. So getting back to you, you made this purchase, weren't happy with its representation, and think that the proper protocol is to make a public post on RL, to try and entice Shawn to come into an open forum, and to do what? You think it is proper or ethical to post your dealings with him here, and to not present all the facts, and expect the community to make any sound comments, contributions, and have them act as judge and jury? You got to be kidding me. While RL is an open forum to help Members, what you or 'any' (noticed I stressed any) Member should have done, if you felt like you were being ignored by the seller, is to first contact a Mod or the Admin. How does that sound, a bit more conservative and prudent in retrospect? Now remember, RL has nothing to do with the dealings you guys did off-line, but, by taking that suggested course of action, and not starting a thread, none of this drama, defamation, lack of facts, and speculation would have become apparent to the community. But since you embarked upon this strategy, we now have the whole community obsessed with this incident. So my suggestion? Take the damn dealings off line, period. While Bob the Admin doesn't want this thread to be closed, it is becoming consuming to everyone, not 'every' single fact is being presented, and more so, you 'truly' expect people on here to be the jury for your case? I don't see a shread of logic as to why you made this public from the get-go, it just doesn't make any sense. I think you should say some closing comments, and Shaw should also, and then dicuss it off-line between the two of you period. Oh, did I mention that this should be handled off line and resolved that way, as for the benefit of everyone, instead of having this unnecessary drama continue for pages on end? And it would be nice if both you and Shawn acknowlege my recommendation, and not ignore this illuminating, educational, and long post that this Mod just made for the beneft of the community as a whole. Just like the closing comments in a trial, both of you now will make your ending comments, and then I think this thread will be closed. I am waiting on you guys, and not the peanut gallery. If both parties do not make a closed-ended (not one to engage more futile dialogue), then the statue of limitations will take place, hence, it will be closed. Enough...
Old 05-03-2009, 12:23 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

Well I must say this has been pretty interesting reading , although it did get emotional at times you could see people interpretations of things can vary wildly and people are very pationate about our opinions and cars.
Although personally I do agree with the posters who thought the car should be near mint for that kind of money, I also think that someone slapping down that kind of coin for a 968 should be standing in front of it before signing the check.

All that said at the time of sale both parties agreed and the exchange happened.
The seller has NOTHING to gain by posting here really all that can happen is what he states can be taken out of context should actions go further. He is doing the absolute correct thing in saying nothing and why should he risk saying anything for our entertainment.

The things the buyer has commented about, to me are either expalined in the deal as with the wheels and seats which were to be pulled out as indicated by the buyer , or are minore things to be found in a modded car.
I do feel for Joska as he had to bear some dissapointment ... but if it were way BETTER than he ever expected.. would he be looking for the seller to give him more money ? I think not .....
Take your lumps , move on and this should be a lesson to us all about PPI and seeing before buying ..

just my 2c.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:28 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

oops sorry Rob .. excellent post and you must have made it about the same times as me ..
.... peanut gallery ,,out ....

But I wish i had my 944 back .. hanging out here is way more entertaining
Old 05-03-2009, 12:40 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
oops sorry Rob .. excellent post and you must have made it about the same times as me ..
.... peanut gallery ,,out ....

But I wish i had my 944 back .. hanging out here is way more entertaining
See what you're missing Clive?

ps..Chad, have you started a page pool yet?
Old 05-03-2009, 01:25 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

What have we learned here boys and girls?
1. Never spend $27K sight unseen on a used car;
2. Never trust sellers, photos, or descriptions;
3. Use the courts if a deal was legally misrepresented;
4. Never post your complaints on Rennlist and expect to get an impartial trial.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

based on the facts presented, the price was reasonable imo. And the condition of the car, is also reasonable. This isnt a concours car, but rather a tuner car. A ppi & inspection would have avoided all the drama.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:44 PM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
What have we learned here boys and girls?
1. Never spend $27K sight unseen on a used car;
2. Never trust sellers, photos, or descriptions;
3. Use the courts if a deal was legally misrepresented;
4. Never post your complaints on Rennlist and expect to get an impartial trial.
5. Never Invite a Nun to a party
Old 05-03-2009, 02:05 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 944V8inDFW
5. Never Invite a Nun to a party
Yeah, I missed that one!
Old 05-03-2009, 02:09 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

As I do not own this said car anymore I cannot speak of its condition presently but can give stated facts about it before it left my wife and I's ownership! It was a wonderfully running, powerful car that got so much attention at Porsche shows and PCA gatherings. We won a 1st place award at a peoples concourse in Ventura in 2007 which my wife and I very much enjoyed! It was written up in our local PCA Redwood Region newsletter and chosen to park in front at a local PCA charity event. There are so many pictures of its build and documentation here on Rennlist and the other forum its not even funny. I was contacted by the Excellence magazine for them to do a story and must say they did a wonderfull job of describing the car and its driving impression. The buyer had talked with his good friend who has a similarly modified 968 turbo and had nothing but good things to say about my car. He had informed me of researching all of these items as well as being sent a build sheet along with more photo's which acurately described the vehicle. After several months of contact he negotiated the car as described in the magazine article with the exception of the composite seats and original Speedlines. The condition of the rims and original seats that came with the sale were described to him. In the end I did everything I could to answer all his questions and describe this 17 year old 968 (modified to Replica Turbo S) so it was very well documented. There was no known problems with it as a vehicle in any way when he took possesion of it, with more money and time spent on this car than you would ever be able to get back by selling but that is the joy of owning one of these great Porsche cars and we really did not want to sell it it but we felt that with a baby coming and remodeling our home for a larger family that it was necessary!
Old 05-03-2009, 02:24 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Shawn, thanks for the ending comments and best wishes with the baby. Next, Let's hear from Joska, and then this is done, period....

Joska?
Old 05-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
See what you're missing Clive?

ps..Chad, have you started a page pool yet?
Hmmm....not a bad idea.

FWIW - Not getting a PPi on a used sports car, is completely unthinkable. If this is the case (or at at least it certainly appears to be Joska's case) sorry bub, you picked your path. Time to man up and pay the piper.

And to Raj...I am very surprised that you did not insist that your friend get one. I certainly would have. Even for the most "pristine" 997 out there.

Page 15 anyone?

C.

Quick Reply: Last friendly chance for Shawn Morrison