Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oh no I think I blew up my engine (no oil pressure)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:47 PM
SolReaver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default huh? No oil pressure on startup

My bad. Read the thread on this forum entitled
No oil pressure on startup. Do a search on "OPRV" and it will appear in your results. Yea, it means that all of a sudden this guy starts his car and it has no oil pressure (sound familiar?)
Read the thread, they think OPRV. They are probably smarter than me.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where is teh oil pressure relief valve and how do I take it out?

a new oil pressure relief valve is expensive, a bit over 400 bucks including shipping and to canada......
Old 01-20-2009, 10:53 PM
SolReaver
Instructor

Default not likely..

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Might not be a bad route to go, until the trans in the Saturn detonates because the PO liked doing neutral drops or burnouts....
Burnouts and neutral drops in 95 SL1?.....Ummm...you guys really don't have the concept of "economy" sedans down do you?

These things are ma and pa normal mobiles! Cops don't pull you over because they are to embarrassed to be seen by the side of the road with you. the 1.9 engine doesn't really DO burnouts, and the transmissions are so mild that neutral drops don't do anything but clunk, and then the mouse motor drops down and you move forward slowly. It is not really a satisfying experience. Kinda like beating on a K car, what is the point?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:01 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SolReaver
Burnouts and neutral drops in 95 SL1?.....Ummm...you guys really don't have the concept of "economy" sedans down do you?

These things are ma and pa normal mobiles! Cops don't pull you over because they are to embarrassed to be seen by the side of the road with you. the 1.9 engine doesn't really DO burnouts, and the transmissions are so mild that neutral drops don't do anything but clunk, and then the mouse motor drops down and you move forward slowly. It is not really a satisfying experience. Kinda like beating on a K car, what is the point?
Oh believe me, not only can you make the SL1 do a neutral drop, you can very effectively destroy the trans in one by doing so... It goes clunk...whirrrrr.whirrrrr.whirrr.clunk bang...erkle erkle... cough wheeze..oink

And yes I have beat the crap out of many a k car too, used to be able to pick them up for the cost of a couple cases of bear, and have a fun weekend drawing and quartering them in the woods...smash-m-up derby anyone?

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...we apologize for the interruption....
Old 01-20-2009, 11:03 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yummybud924

a new oil pressure relief valve is expensive, a bit over 400 bucks including shipping and to canada......
Get a used one from someone parting a car, and it goes through the oil cooler housing...

EDIT
$279 from DC Auto
IAN at 944online might be able to help out on a good used one for troubleshooting purposes...
Old 01-20-2009, 11:04 PM
SolReaver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yummybud924

Ok, this guy says it better than I can...
http://www.clarks-garage.com/
Look under "Online Manual" ..."Oil Pressure"

Even tells you how to prime an engine, to remove the Oprv and crank the engine to see if it squirts, all kinds of stuff that will help.

Yes, new ones are $$, clean up your old one. If that doesn't work post a WTB here or on another side (I like pelican too).
Old 01-20-2009, 11:11 PM
SolReaver
Instructor

Default Ahh Memories....

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Oh believe me, not only can you make the SL1 do a neutral drop, you can very effectively destroy the trans in one by doing so... It goes clunk...whirrrrr.whirrrrr.whirrr.clunk bang...erkle erkle... cough wheeze..oink

And yes I have beat the crap out of many a k car too, used to be able to pick them up for the cost of a couple cases of bear, and have a fun weekend drawing and quartering them in the woods...smash-m-up derby anyone?

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...we apologize for the interruption....
I beat on a few of em too...BUT, my favorite thing was to get em cheap (REAL CHEAP) and then patch em up and give them to folks who kept whining about having NO car. Not pretty, but they ran. The junkyard near me used to give me anything I wanted free for these rolling wrecks.

And Now...BACK to our Program....
Old 01-20-2009, 11:14 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ok so seriously- if the oil is super cold and its 20w50 it may be too cold to flow. I started a newly rebuilt motor once that had been assembled w/ this super thick assy. lube and it had zero oil pressure. The motor had been sitting in my cold garage for a week or so and was about 25-30 degrees but the oil was just put in before start up. The car would not push the thick oil through the crank passages so it blew the oil filter gasket out instead. I imagine if all the oil was cold it would do the same thing but not pump the oil much at all. I ended up having to remove the OPRV and pull the spring,to keep the filter from blowing out again, then start the car and watch the oil filter pop up after a brief wooshing sound from the frozen oil evacuating the oil passages. Then i reinstalled the spring to the OPRV and all was good. Ive also seen cold engines blow the gasket on the filter from the oil relief valve inside of it sticking.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

please someone tear my eyes out before i read more of this.

bud, do yourself a favor, research.

10-40 is the right oil for your climate. you dont put 0-30 in a 944 it is too thin. you dont put anything thinner than 10-40. your mobil1 15-50 is probably fine for your climate.

the difference between conventional 10 and synthetic 15....
Old 01-20-2009, 11:50 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sorry, I've only been a member for over a year, but this guy (or his car) is a.....
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2009, 12:39 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

okay installing a new oil filter and new oil and will see what happens. will look into the oprv next.

do I just unscrew it to get it out and put it back in? clarks does not give directions for removal and installation just description of it.

oh and for oil filter I only found a bosch filter which does not have a anti drain back valve but it should be okay I guess just for testing purposes?

oil also I have some gtx 20w50 in my garage so I'll just use that. 20w50 is suppose to be good up to -10 degrees it's not even close to freezing out right now so the zero oil pressure is not because of that.

I was using the 15w50 synthetic when teh temps went down to -10 (coldest it gets here) and oil pressure and start up was fine.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:48 AM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Alright dude, please dont take this the wrong way, but i think after you sort this problem out you need to sell this car. You are constantly posting threads about how much this car is costing you and how its ruining your life. You do not seem exceptionally mechanically inclined, and it doesnt seem like you have the time or drive to work on these cars. Sell the car, buy a cheap, reliable car, and finish your education. Then after you have a secure income/time, then think about getting another fun car.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:58 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

you're right I should have sold it after the torque tube and clutch replacement. I don't blame the car it's just that I made a stupid mistake of making a 23 year old german sportscar as my daily driver and only car. you really should have a a backup vehicle if you have a 944 as a daily driver.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:35 AM
El Commandante
Pro

+1. I had my NA as a daily driver and only car for three years and nothing big ever went wrong with it, just minor things like door handles and starter, etc. But i'd never have it as an only car again, you just love it so much more when you dont have to drive it every day and worry.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:41 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

damn you are lucky. I've had my 944 for about 3 years also been on jackstands for about 2 of the years lol.

things that went wrong in past 25,000 kms

- oil pump leaked, oil pan gasket leaked.
- motor mounts were shot.
-clutch died.
-torque tube stripped.
- no no oil pressure
- millions of other little problems
-rest preventative maintenance/ repairs/ upgrades.

Quick Reply: oh no I think I blew up my engine (no oil pressure)