Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oh no I think I blew up my engine (no oil pressure)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 02:05 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

okay guys i changed the oil and filter and zero oil pressure on start up and stays like that so I shut it off.

I took the new oil filter out and it's obvious that it isn't filling with oil.

so what is the most likely cause?

i'm guessing broken oil pickup tube.

would a bad oprv cause no oil to get pumped into filter?
Old 01-21-2009, 02:06 AM
El Commandante
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm VERY lucky my clutch hasnt gone out yet, I have ~160,000 mi or 257,500 km on my car and i still have the original rubber centered clutch... its on its way out, and damn i'm glad i have another car... Get an eighties audi haha, then both of your cars will be on jackstands! But i bet you could get a reliable mid nineties honda for a couple thousand dollars, and keep the 944. After this much work on it you will regret selling it or parting it!
Old 01-21-2009, 02:15 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

anyways any suggestions why oil is not pumping into the oil filter. would that be oil pump, oil pickup tube or oprv causing it or any of them?

i removed my new filter after running it for a few seconds and it has not filled up with oil which means oil is not being pumped into it.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:28 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

so should I replace the oprv still to see if it fixes the problem?

question is would a stuck open oprv cause no oil to get pumped in the oil filter? this is what is happening right now.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:22 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy1212
You do not seem exceptionally mechanically inclined, and it doesnt seem like you have the time or drive to work on these cars.
No disrespect, but I disagree. Among other things, this guy has replaced the oil pan gasket on this car, which is definitely above average as mechanical inclination goes.

YB, I have a lot of respect for the work you've done to keep this car running. Some of us have also been college students with an old 944 as a DD on a shoestring budget and can relate to what you're going through.

I know it sucks, but now is when you need to regroup, share rides to school with other students, and set some time aside to sort this out or at least know for certain what is wrong with the car.

Sorry I can't be of more help, as I've never had oil pressure issues with any of my 944s, but I'm sure you'll find a way to work this through. If you've persevered this long, you might as well stick it out a little longer. Hang in there!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:35 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
No disrespect, but I disagree. Among other things, this guy has replaced the oil pan gasket on this car, which is definitely above average as mechanical inclination goes.

YB, I have a lot of respect for the work you've done to keep this car running. Some of us have also been college students with an old 944 as a DD on a shoestring budget and can relate to what you're going through.

I know it sucks, but now is when you need to regroup, share rides to school with other students, and set some time aside to sort this out or at least know for certain what is wrong with the car.

Sorry I can't be of more help, as I've never had oil pressure issues with any of my 944s, but I'm sure you'll find a way to work this through. If you've persevered this long, you might as well stick it out a little longer. Hang in there!
thanks. I may have wrecked the engine by now anyways running it with zero oil pressure.

I'm hoping someone here can help me out so I don't randomly pull things apart.

I'm wondering if the oprv staying open would prevent oil from getting ot the filter which I observed.

if not then that would eliminate the oprv and I would have to drop the oil pan again to see if the pick up tube is broken.

this is strange though this happened all of a sudden on start up today. I doubt the pickup tube would just break on startup.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:45 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

I saw in your other post (about how to change a timing belt) that you removed the crank pulley. Now you have oil pressure problems. I'l bet you did not get your PS pulley centered - its a very common mistake that results in occasional loss of oil pressure. Its also easy to fix. Lock the crank, remove the crank bolt, inspect the PS pulley for a half moon indentation around the hole. This is evidence of the mistake. Re-assemble. Oil pressure restored. Bruce
Old 01-21-2009, 05:11 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

that is possible I changed my timing belt 2 weeks ago and no oil pressure problems since then and crank bolt was still tight like i checked today.

i'm not sure if I understand what you mean about the powersteering pulley being aligned properly. how would that also cause a sudden no oil pressure problem?
Old 01-21-2009, 05:31 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you reinstall the pressure washer between the crank timing gear and the oil pump? If that is not there or worn it won't turn the oil pump no matter how tight you make the crank bolt...
Old 01-21-2009, 05:47 AM
SolReaver
Instructor

Default Lighten up guys

I go away for a few hours to have something resembling a life and you guys just ride this poor guy...Shame on you all for picking on the mentally challenged.

YB: yea, F18 suspects that it is the crankshaft pulley Thingie. If you dissasemble and carefully re assemble he thinks it might fix the problem.

I am for taking off the OPRV and inspecting it. Perhaps cleaning it or something. And YES, like I said, The OPRV fail can cause NO oil pressure. However, just blindly replacing parts may be why you are so darned far into this car. Why not try a little logic here...Lord knows the world can use a bit more of that.

I would remove the...wait a second..Did you do the stuff mentioned in Clarks? like priming the passageway that the oil filter goes to? Do you have a oil pressure gage on the darned thing? did you take out the OPRV and see if oil squirts out when you spin the engine (not allowing it to start) ?

Why on earth did you start it after I TOLD you not to? You have an oil starvation problem you should not run the engine, even for a second! Please, Please tell me you are NOT an engineering student. Duude! you actually turned the key with the plugs in? AFTER I said..like a couple of times DON'T DO IT? WHY?? If you take the plugs out and crank the starter, pressure comes up in a few secs without trashing your bearings. IS there something seriously wrong with you? Have you lost your Mind? Are you really...really stoned?

OK Buddy, I wish you luck. I really do. Go to Clarks, under oil pressure. Stop guessing. Stop being an If you try to start your engine again without making sure it has pressure first. Please, for the sake of the species, take yourself out of the gene pool. I have a life (of sorts) Instead of spending time holding your hand, I will be I did say that if you did that I wouldn't talk to you again so... and please, stop about your 944. At this point the problem may be you.

Last edited by SolReaver; 01-21-2009 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:17 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

a cracked pickup tube would cause low oil pressure but you would still have oil pressure. Best thing to do is pull the oil pan to see the pickup tube and bearings
Old 01-21-2009, 10:07 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

My money is on Lego and Bruce. Washer orientation is important too IIRC, not sure if it has been mentioned or not yet. I mark them with an "F" before removal to keep things straight. Hang in there YB, the forums just wouldn't be the same without you!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SolReaver
Why on earth did you start it after I TOLD you not to?
because for years mr yummy has been on rennlist NOT following the good advice of others. FOR YEARS he has made threads whining about stuff and people tell him how to fix things and he waits for the answers he wants to hear.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

i am not a geology expert, but i have read a few rand mcnallys in my life. is the part of canada where yummy comes from the part where they speak french?

if so that may be why he doesnt understand the advice.

like i said, i am not a geology expert, so i am not sure where things are, but maybe he has rocks in his head.

yummy listen to lego. he probably has more hands on experience with these things than anyone else.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:04 AM
El Commandante
Pro

Thats the opposite side of canada.. he lives where its semi-legal to smoke weed and also rated the best place to live in the world!

Quick Reply: oh no I think I blew up my engine (no oil pressure)