Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oh no I think I blew up my engine (no oil pressure)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:09 AM
gricec
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is kinda funny. ALthough you guys should leave him alone.

As for the car you should probably get rid when its fixed. I think I would. My 84 NA has run famously well for 18 months now. If i was having the problems you are having it would be gone as I drive it daily.

If i were you I would get a Mazda 3 if you want a warranty. I ve had both a VW rabbit and a 07 GTI (just traded in for a 3series BMW) and they broke down more than the 944 did. Also the service on the VWs is really pretty expensive.

just my 2cs
Old 01-21-2009, 11:42 AM
jstand22
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
My money is on Lego and Bruce. Washer orientation is important too IIRC, not sure if it has been mentioned or not yet. I mark them with an "F" before removal to keep things straight. Hang in there YB, the forums just wouldn't be the same without you!
+1. I'd follow what these two said, they know their stuff and both those ideas make sense if you took the crank pulley off.

If you don't have the time or money to fix it now just walk away from it for a while. Don't get rid of it, you've put too much into it. When my headgasket blew I was frustrated because I had also dumped 3k into the car in one summer, so I put it in the garage for a few months, saved, bought all the parts and a couple months later got her going again. Just take a little 944 break (if it ends up being something major).
Old 01-21-2009, 11:56 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jstand22
+1. I'd follow what these two said, they know their stuff and both those ideas make sense if you took the crank pulley off.

If you don't have the time or money to fix it now just walk away from it for a while. Don't get rid of it, you've put too much into it. When my headgasket blew I was frustrated because I had also dumped 3k into the car in one summer, so I put it in the garage for a few months, saved, bought all the parts and a couple months later got her going again. Just take a little 944 break (if it ends up being something major).
+1

Take a break. Take the bus. A college or university student with car payments is foolish, IMO.

Follow the advice of Bruce or Lego...sounds like the problem to me. then check the OPRV.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I will take out the crank bolt and take a look at it today. I never removed the timing belt cranshaft gear.

I just removed the balance shaft gear along with the powersteering pulley.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you didn't remove the oil pump sleeve nor the timing belt crankshaft gear Im not quite sure how you could have messed it up. I would ask if you forgot a woodruff key or something but that sounds unlikely. Maybe you forgot your crankshaft woodruff key but I would suspect the engine wouldn't push the car.

Take the OPRV valve out and do what clarks garage says to check it, and don't report back here until you do young man!
Old 01-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

okay but i'm not sure where the oil pressure relief valve is located.... clarks has no picture of it.

and someone here mentioned that having the powersteering pulley on wrong could cause a sudden loss of oil pressure? that was what I was following as I did remove that and the balance shaft gear 2 weeks ago but oil pressure was fine till now.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

I don't think it could be the power steering pulley.. plus that is held on with 3 or 4 bolts.. no way that wouldnt be moving..
Old 01-21-2009, 03:26 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Yabo...Please direct me to the 3 or 4 bolts that hold the POWER STEERING pulley to the crank. There are 4 that hold the alternator/AC pulley but only the crank bolt captures the PS pulley.

These are pics I took when I made this very same mistake (on an 85.5 944). Mistakes that cost me this much time are not easily forgotten - even for me...;] Bruce
Old 01-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

sorry bruce I don't understand what you are saying from those pics. do I have to take otu the balance shaft gear and alternator pulley (one unit) and reinstall it also? or just take out the power steering pulley?

I don't think you can screw up the balance shaft /alternator pulley as it goes onto the woodruf key.

I can't really see the "half moon" indication, and I'm not sure where it's suppose to allign with .
Old 01-21-2009, 03:53 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Well, that lower pic does show the alternator pulley removed but you don't need to take that off - I just had it off trying ot figure out what the hell happened. For you, just pull the crank bolt, the PS pulley will fall off. Look very close at the crank as it protrudes through the balance shaft cog. The crank should stick out by about an 1/8 inch, like in the pic. Does it? If yes, then place the PS pulley on, it should fit right up against the balance shaft cog. Hold it in place with one hand, while you put the crank bolt back in.
If no, (the crank doesn't stick out) then do whatever you have to do to get the BS cog to seat. It is not seated until the crank protrudes through the BS cog.
I could be wrong about all this, but I had this very same situation, others here have too but you may have to search back a few years....Bruce
Old 01-21-2009, 03:53 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Well, that lower pic does show the alternator pulley removed but you don't need to take that off - I just had it off trying ot figure out what the hell happened. For you, just pull the crank bolt, the PS pulley will fall off. Look very close at the crank as it protrudes through the balance shaft cog. The crank should stick out by about an 1/8 inch, like in the pic. Does it? If yes, then place the PS pulley on, it should fit right up against the balance shaft cog. Hold it in place with one hand, while you put the crank bolt back in.
If no, (the crank doesn't stick out) then do whatever you have to do to get the BS cog to seat. It is not seated until the crank protrudes through the BS cog.
I could be wrong about all this, but I had this very same situation, others here have too but you may have to search back a few years....Bruce
Old 01-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

okay thanks. I'm pretty sure the crankshaft end did go through the power steering pulley. if not then I just have to make sure that it is centred?

I'll take a look thanks.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

I think your oil was too thick and the oil pump or pump drive failed somehow.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I doubt that is likely. 15w50 synthetic is too thick? even 20w50 says it's could till -10 and it rarely goes below freezing here.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Oops sorry. for some reason I was thinking the crank pulley and ps pulley were the same piece on the 944, been a while since I've been down there. I thought you were talking about the one on the pump, for some reason lol. My mistake.

Quick Reply: oh no I think I blew up my engine (no oil pressure)