Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which bumper should I run?
924GTS/Euro-look
31.58%
Turbo-look
47.37%
other? explain plzkthx
21.05%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Bumper replacement/ (Update about tint)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:09 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts
Default Bumper replacement/ (Update about tint)

When the time comes to get my car repainted, I want to replace the dated, ugly NA front bumper.

My two choices have come down to:
924GTS/Euro-look bumper/valence combo

or the obvious, Turbo-look bumper.

which in your opinions is better looking? i like the turbo look but the euro is a rarer look and has big central openings. or, another suggestion? currently i have a snubbed bumper.

TIA

Last edited by V2Rocket; 03-27-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:23 AM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carrera GT cover I really like, but only really available as a GT-Racing Fiberglass part which requires a fair amount of work to get to fit.

Personally I want to do something like Xsboost's old NA with the Euro NA Bumper with vents. I was close to getting one, but the Euro Bumpers Group Buy exploded and died.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:40 AM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo bumper..
Old 03-21-2008, 12:45 AM
Smoker324
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion is the na bumper is not ugly, the turbo bumper on a na is like putting a turbo badge on the back of a na -- total poser move -- and all the aftermarket noses-- unless pro installed look like a poorly fitted suits. My opinion.

-Dan
Old 03-21-2008, 03:41 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

do a bumperette delete.

Check out the default 944 image on Jager Engineering Garage 9 site.

http://jageng.com/garage9/index.php?...937afec8283727

Looks saweeeet right? I'm deleting my bumperettes. They do no good for the looks here in the states, so away with them.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:41 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I love the GTS front end, but from what I gather, it might look like more of a hassle than possible.

I'd only go the turbo route if it was a genuine turbo bumper.

Personally, I'd look into a euro bumper with, maybe, the 931 vents as mentioned above. That'd go nicely with my wannabe Foha lip...

BB.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:52 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

what about fiberworks?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:03 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

fiberglass stuff looks great when installed right but i would never do it on a car you have to drive everyday. Find a eurobumper is my opinion.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:15 AM
NineFourFourNeophyte
Advanced

i agree with both smoker324 and xsboost, putting a turbo look on the na is just a poser move and if you want to do fiberglass, it has to be professionally created, but the eurobumper is ok.

i really reserve the 924GTS/Euro-look bumper/valence combo just for that car.

i too have been contemplating changing, both the front and adding the rear diffuser, but it is still an na, so i'll leave it as is and at some point i'd like to get a turbo or later s and then i won't have to make the change. it will look like it should. whatever you decide, hope you're happy.

-nffn
Old 03-21-2008, 04:09 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple - get a Turbo.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:22 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the euro bumper and the diffuser on my NA. Poser or not, I like it. If you like it and can afford to do it, go for it. Don't worry what purists think - or anyone for that matter. Enjoy your car.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:44 AM
Stien
Burning Brakes

By snubbed do you mean pushed in (as in put a hole in the piston thingys and pushed in) front bumper? If so, pics pls?
Old 03-22-2008, 07:04 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NineFourFourNeophyte
i agree with both smoker324 and xsboost, putting a turbo look on the na is just a poser move

-nffn
Originally Posted by Smoker324
the turbo bumper on a na is like putting a turbo badge on the back of a na -- total poser move

A couple things to consider.

1. The 911 was available in turbo-look with wider fenders, quarters, wheels, etc for those who wanted the fat look or thought it simply looked better than the narrow body. Next time you see one of them at a Porsche car show be certain to tell the owner you think they are a poser. I'm certain they will appreciate your opinion.

2. Based on your logic, I hope you don't put anything like turbo twist wheels, boxster wheels, 930S steering wheel, GTS nose, etc on your cars (or any other part from any other model of Porsche for that matter). Because, obviously, you are trying to pretend your car is something it is not by putting those parts on there. I'm certain it has nothing to do with aesthetics or taste. I guess the 951 and S2 guys are pretending to have 968's by putting 968 mirrors, spoilers, and door handles on their cars. And 911 guys must want to have 951's when they seek out 951 Fuchs wheels for the front of their cars. And those bastard Boxster owners that are doing 3.6 swaps obviously must have the worst complex of all.

3. Let's face it, the 944 N/A nose treatment was dated when it came out. The turbo bumper when it debuted in 1985 was a step in the right direction toward modernizing a very old general platform. Porsche also used the same treatment on the S2 when it debuted, and in fact once the N/A was dropped and only the S2/Turbo cars were available so the nose really became the norm. Porsche never again offered the dated, separate front metal bumper on any of their models. Unfortunately the god-awful rear bumper was never really addressed on the 944/951/S2 cars; it wasn't until the S3...er I mean...968 was introduced that the rear bumper became more current. From a design standpoint, the integrated bumper look has been the standard for most all manufacturers for a very long time, save for the mostly low end economy cars.

I could see calling someone a poser if they put the forbidden "Turbo" badge on the back of their N/A. But for swapping parts or updating the car? Nah.

I swear, its amazing that the 944 N/A guys are the most purist of all of the porsche owners given the fact that most of the ones you see on the road are shatboxes. Go spend some time on the 911 forum on Pelican. There are guys turning 911SC's into Carrera RS clones, RSR clones, motor swaps galore. Why is it the 911 guys are open to all sorts of interesting, great cars yet the majority of 944 N/A guys on this forum bash ANYONE for being different?
Old 03-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree with Tifo....

I had the whole carrera GTS look on my car, and it looked good and can be made to fit well. Once I had it though I was completely paranoid about ANYONE bumping the front of my car and cracking it and damaging it. On top of that the bumper I had did not have any mounts for the turn signals or lights. I had to fab those up.
Fiberglass is very durable, but still.

If the car gets damaged:
-another CGTS bumper is like $400 plus about 15 hours to make it fit.
-a Euro front bumper is a wildcard for price, you have to FIND one first then have it shipped = hassle
-The Turbo/S2 front bumpers are plentiful, and the whole kit n caboodle runs for ~$350 on the street.

I vote Turbo/S2 front
Old 03-22-2008, 10:19 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
I swear, its amazing that the 944 N/A guys are the most purist of all of the porsche owners given the fact that most of the ones you see on the road are shatboxes. Go spend some time on the 911 forum on Pelican. There are guys turning 911SC's into Carrera RS clones, RSR clones, motor swaps galore. Why is it the 911 guys are open to all sorts of interesting, great cars yet the majority of 944 N/A guys on this forum bash ANYONE for being different?
When I was planning on buying another 944 for tracking, I wanted to "RS" it. Badly. Hell, I still want to. The only reason I'm going the Miata route instead is purely $. Plus, there isn't too much of a challenge to making one of those light.

Anyway, I must be one of the only people out there that likes the na front end. Sure, as-is it does look a little bland, but I don't think it takes all that much to really make it better.

BB.

Quick Reply: Bumper replacement/ (Update about tint)