Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which bumper should I run?
924GTS/Euro-look
31.58%
Turbo-look
47.37%
other? explain plzkthx
21.05%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Bumper replacement/ (Update about tint)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Shabba
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would personally never change the look of a car...call me a purist if you want because that's what I am...except for that non-factory green that my '73 240z is painted. And the turbo wheels my n/a 280zx has worn for the past 10 years. Or the 16' S phonies I am about to put on my '88...

Seriously, this is all a matter of taste. It seems like you have 4 really good options here. Turbo, Carerra, bumperette delete or just leaving it alone... YOU have to be the one who lives with the decision and YOU are the one spotting the cash for the change. All you are going to get here is 8000 opinions that may or may not confuse you any more.

While I don't agree with the idea that changing it will be a poser move, I am very much a purist when it comes to my Porsche. I would leave it as is. The only reason I'm changing the wheels on my car is for a little better handling and a rougher ride so that my wife will drive her '87 more and my '88 less! Looks, so far as the wheels go, are less important in my mind. What you want to do has to do with looks and really, nothing else at all.

I voted for the tubo bumper.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:40 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by Stien
By snubbed do you mean pushed in (as in put a hole in the piston thingys and pushed in) front bumper? If so, pics pls?
yep.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Smoker324
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off tifosiman take a look at the original post -- it is asking for opinions. Thats all I gave -- and as to bashing -- the only bashing I see in this thread is coming from you. I gave my opinion and I stick by it.

- Dan
Old 03-22-2008, 11:58 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 153BigBlock
I have the euro bumper and the diffuser on my NA. Poser or not, I like it. If you like it and can afford to do it, go for it. Don't worry what purists think - or anyone for that matter. Enjoy your car.
you have the euro front bumper or the rear? if front.. pics!
Old 03-22-2008, 02:04 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tifosiman
A couple things to consider.

1. The 911 was available in turbo-look with wider fenders, quarters, wheels, etc for those who wanted the fat look or thought it simply looked better than the narrow body. Next time you see one of them at a Porsche car show be certain to tell the owner you think they are a poser. I'm certain they will appreciate your opinion.

2. Based on your logic, I hope you don't put anything like turbo twist wheels, boxster wheels, 930S steering wheel, GTS nose, etc on your cars (or any other part from any other model of Porsche for that matter). Because, obviously, you are trying to pretend your car is something it is not by putting those parts on there. I'm certain it has nothing to do with aesthetics or taste. I guess the 951 and S2 guys are pretending to have 968's by putting 968 mirrors, spoilers, and door handles on their cars. And 911 guys must want to have 951's when they seek out 951 Fuchs wheels for the front of their cars. And those bastard Boxster owners that are doing 3.6 swaps obviously must have the worst complex of all.

3. Let's face it, the 944 N/A nose treatment was dated when it came out. The turbo bumper when it debuted in 1985 was a step in the right direction toward modernizing a very old general platform. Porsche also used the same treatment on the S2 when it debuted, and in fact once the N/A was dropped and only the S2/Turbo cars were available so the nose really became the norm. Porsche never again offered the dated, separate front metal bumper on any of their models. Unfortunately the god-awful rear bumper was never really addressed on the 944/951/S2 cars; it wasn't until the S3...er I mean...968 was introduced that the rear bumper became more current. From a design standpoint, the integrated bumper look has been the standard for most all manufacturers for a very long time, save for the mostly low end economy cars.

I could see calling someone a poser if they put the forbidden "Turbo" badge on the back of their N/A. But for swapping parts or updating the car? Nah.

I swear, its amazing that the 944 N/A guys are the most purist of all of the porsche owners given the fact that most of the ones you see on the road are shatboxes. Go spend some time on the 911 forum on Pelican. There are guys turning 911SC's into Carrera RS clones, RSR clones, motor swaps galore. Why is it the 911 guys are open to all sorts of interesting, great cars yet the majority of 944 N/A guys on this forum bash ANYONE for being different?
Thank you. I think those saying doing so is a poser move has a huge generalization that everyone who does this does so to make everyone think their car is a turbo. That's all BS, it updates the look of the car, and from my observations it has a practical use in providing better cooling. I don't care if it's a turbo or s2, its still a 944, and putting 944 parts on a 944 is fine with me, as long as you're not rebadging it as something else, or telling people that it is what it isn't.

So what are you going to say about putting a 924gts bumper on a 944?
Old 03-22-2008, 02:42 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

i love the carrera look, LOVE IT! but i wouldnt do it because its kinda pircey for me. and personally i dont have a problem with the stock bumper.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:12 PM
NineFourFourNeophyte
Advanced

for my part, i say this, the car is a 944 na, that is what porsche built it and sold it as. the car looks the way it is and therefore to make a change to me, certainly changes it. i like the turbo look and would like to have my car like that, but i won't do it on my na. when i can afford it, i'll get a turbo. so if porsche sold turbo look cars, which i know they did, then that is what they sold it as, fine. i can't say i'm a purist, but i would like when i look at my car and others look at it there are no questions as to exactly which model it is. despite me posting my original comment, i did at the end want v2rocket to be happy with whatever he decided and i think we're all different and want different things for our cars. my comments simply reflected my opinion. v2rocket, i hope nothing i said came across as rude or inappropriate. with that said - whatever look you decide, i hope you're happy. it is your car enjoy how you want to.

-nffn
Old 03-22-2008, 04:27 PM
NineFourFourNeophyte
Advanced

i got distracted just a while ago and wanted to add this bit ... i've driven 911 turbos and 951s and part of why i leave my car looking like the na is simple, when i hit the gas pedal in my car, i know it's an na, i don't get the surge from the turbo, so i leave it as is.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:45 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Certainly understandable. Glad this didn't turn into a flame war.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:16 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoker324
First off tifosiman take a look at the original post -- it is asking for opinions. Thats all I gave -- and as to bashing -- the only bashing I see in this thread is coming from you. I gave my opinion and I stick by it.

- Dan
LOL, that's funny.

My opinion is the na bumper is not ugly, the turbo bumper on a na is like putting a turbo badge on the back of a na -- total poser move
-Dan
Whether you insert the words "my opinon" in such a statement or not, it is still a bash. I mean, I could say "My opinion is that people who drive N/A's are inferior to turbo owners, and are a lower class citizen that are just two rungs on the ladder above Kia owners." Of course I don't really mean that, but you can see where even though you are claiming you have an "out", you made a statement that was a huge generalization.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:30 PM
GTSilver944
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Bumperette delete! (No, I don't have clear lenses, I was just playing with colors in photoshop)
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2008, 01:38 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the GTS look, but like the guys said, fiberglass takes a bit of work to fit. Easy to do yourself if you have time and the ability, but if you are paying a shop, the labor is going to really add to the overall cost, so keep that in mind. The turbo setup is going to be more durable, but at the same time FG is easy to fix if you crack it.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:14 PM
mtccl
Instructor

My opinion is the na bumper is not ugly, the turbo bumper on a na is like putting a turbo badge on the back of a na -- total poser move -- and all the aftermarket noses-- unless pro installed look like a poorly fitted suits. My opinion.

-Dan
Totally disagree. Updating the front to the turbo front end is purely a visual enhancement.

Putting a turbo script on the back of the car is a totally different matter.

What do you say about the S2's with the turbo front end? Are they "wishers"??
Old 03-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Smoker324
Rennlist Member

Tifo if you think my opinion is a bash -- then there is not a thing I can do about it -- other than to opine that you really must be offended easily. My opinion.

-Dan C.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:23 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

im pretty much sold on the GTS after seeing these pics (more the blue one lol).

they just look great on the cars (note mini-bumperette delete)
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Bumper replacement/ (Update about tint)