Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brand new 20 years old 944TS

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

I think it would be stupid to sell old model 944 turbo and brand new 944 Turbo S both with 180mph cluster at the same time.

I am positive that in 88 when TS was introduced it had 180mph gauge and regular 944 turbo had the 160 one. that is allmost the only thing that set those two cars apart for an laic buyer.

It would be stupid to assume that when they put out the first TS they imediately mount 180mph clusters to all turbos.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:56 PM
944J
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

more detective work... the window sticker on ebay says:

LYNNFIELD IMPORTED CARS, INC.
385 Broadway
LYNNFIELD, MA 01940

---

the current business there is:

FLAGSHIP MOTORCARS WHOLESALE 781-596-7122

385 Broadway
Lynnfield, MA 01940

---
Old 12-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts

Well my owner's manual from a 1988 makes no mention of the S but does show a 160mph speedo for the 944NA and 944S, and a 180 for the Turbo. Printed in late 1987. I'm pretty sure the 180 is correct for all 1988, assuredly for the S.

I suppose VDO might have goofed, I do not think they would have used an 'extra' 160mph speedo in a turbo cluster to get rid of it though. They would be producing spares and probably expecting to produce the NA cluster for a few more years so there would be little need for that. If they goofed would it make it past QA? There must be some sort of calibration/testing rig.

The speedo could also have been special-ordered by a buyer who felt the 161 mph top speed of the car was better suited to the 160 mph speedo (marked to 165.)

The speedometer could also have been swapped under the light of a full moon by a leprechaun or a brownie. Perhaps a sprite.

There might be any number of supernatural explanations for the odd speedo, but my money would be on a greedy, dishonest human (somewhat more common than fairies, sprites, etc.)

-Joel.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:59 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

My car was built in 8/86 (MY 1987) and has the orginal cluster ( I removed it when replacing the dash and it was quite obvious its never been done before) which reads to 180mph. I'm aware of another 87 in my area that has a 180mph speedo too.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:41 PM
944J
Banned

I just got on my computer with a bigger screen and started looking at the pics again.

--
There seems to be a indentation in the rear left bumper cap in this pic:

http://www.truspeedmotorcars.com/sho...img=1445_5.jpg

--
in this pic you can see very dirty pedals and a very dirty plastic foot area but then the rest of the carpet looks pristine, I don't think that 9,000 miles is long enough to get pedals this dirty

http://www.truspeedmotorcars.com/sho...mg=1445_15.jpg

--
this picture shows some damage to the lower lip of the front bumper, it doesn't look like scrapes, but looks like marks made when wet paint is touched then allowed to dry maybe from tape or masking materials?

http://www.truspeedmotorcars.com/sho...img=1445_8.jpg

--
this picture shows the same "grey/tan" primer color that I'm seeinging in the front of the car and some other places on the car, this time its located at the upper left corner of the drivers side bumper pad.

http://www.truspeedmotorcars.com/sho...img=1445_4.jpg
--

yes I know all this doesn't mean anything, but its fun to play sherlock holmes...
Old 12-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944J
I just got on my computer with a bigger screen and started looking at the pics again.

--
There seems to be a indentation in the rear left bumper cap in this pic:

http://www.truspeedmotorcars.com/sho...img=1445_5.jpg
I have 1600x1200 resolution monitor and I can't see it.

in this pic you can see very dirty pedals and a very dirty plastic foot area but then the rest of the carpet looks pristine, I don't think that 9,000 miles is long enough to get pedals this dirty

http://www.truspeedmotorcars.com/sho...mg=1445_15.jpg
this one is just plain stupid.

this picture shows some damage to the lower lip of the front bumper, it doesn't look like scrapes, but looks like marks made when wet paint is touched then allowed to dry maybe from tape or masking materials?

http://www.truspeedmotorcars.com/sho...img=1445_8.jpg
this is curb damage, if you park your car where curbs are higher than your front end sometimes this happens.

this picture shows the same "grey/tan" primer color that I'm seeinging in the front of the car and some other places on the car, this time its located at the upper left corner of the drivers side bumper pad.

http://www.truspeedmotorcars.com/sho...img=1445_4.jpg

this might be just about every kind of dirt possible. 20 years old car remember?
Old 12-09-2007, 09:43 PM
944J
Banned

You're the idiot who pointed out the most obvious thing when I got my car painted in that the my tires had red paint on them, everyone could see that, so your comments here don't surprise me and are consistent with your past comments.

You dont get curb rash in a 5 foot strip across the front of the car, curb rash is generaly reserverd to the side of the car and on wheels, not the front bumper unless you have really bad depth perception, over and over again, and keep bumping into the parking lot stops, still it doesn't look like a scratch, it's like it shows primer where the paint was rubbed or smeared before drying... scratches to that area generally show black plastic.

My observations are real, but they don't prove anything. It's just fun.

Originally Posted by Voith
I have 1600x1200 resolution monitor and I can't see it.

this one is just plain stupid.

this is curb damage, if you park your car where curbs are higher than your front end sometimes this happens.

this might be just about every kind of dirt possible. 20 years old car remember?
Old 12-09-2007, 10:18 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno about that pedals thing. Ive cleaned the pedals real good in my car before and it seemed like it came back the instant I let a passing fart.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:25 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Friend here in town had an '87 951 with a 180mph cluster. Another '87 951 has a 180mph cluster as well. Not to mention ones I have seen for sale.

This car should have a 180mph cluster, end of story. The 180mph cluster was brought into the '87 951's. I'm almost positive that every '87 owner here has a 180mph speedo.

Plus, if the cluster WAS removed to be replaced for WHATEVER reason (maybe the gear broke in the last 500 miles and it was replaced?), who's to say they didn't roll the miles back to match what the old cluster said?

As far as the tires, whoever brought that up, that's a stupid debate. I haven't ever seen an original set of tires on a 20 year old car. Tires crack due to not being driven and sitting. You figure, this car did less then 500 miles a year. That's a lot of sitting and rotting. Not to mention, this car could have been garaged, but was the garage heated/cooled? That will make a difference. It gets bone chilling cold/ scorching hot in a garage that isn't heated.

Personally, they want too much for the car. These cars will never fetch prices like that. They aren't rare enough. Sure, you have a car that less then a 1000 were made of, but your car looks EXACTLY the same as the other tens of thousands of 86-89 turbos, as well as 89-91 S2's. Cars worth money were rare, and exclusive looking. They were obviously different from the base model, unless optioned as a plain jane model with the hemi under the hood.

Nice car, but too much money. I'd rather have what I own now.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:32 PM
944J
Banned

the paint just doesn't look original, original paint is much more lustrous. but I could be wrong. either way its a very nice car, I just like seeing if I can find something. you could also look at the exact shape of the non painted area around the vin near the cruise control motor... is the the right shape color?
Old 12-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

You're the idiot who pointed out the most obvious thing when I got my car painted in that the my tires had red paint on them, everyone could see that, so your comments here don't surprise me and are consistent with your past comments.

You dont get curb rash in a 5 foot strip across the front of the car, curb rash is generaly reserverd to the side of the car and on wheels, not the front bumper unless you have really bad depth perception, over and over again, and keep bumping into the parking lot stops, still it doesn't look like a scratch, it's like it shows primer where the paint was rubbed or smeared before drying... scratches to that area generally show black plastic.

My observations are real, but they don't prove anything. It's just fun.
some people do have bad depth perception.

and you don't seriously think that someone would be selling top $ 944 on ebay and previously painted it like you did yours? that car of yours is the sloppiest paintjob I have ever seen and I have seen a lot of them. only a true idiot can paint tires and car simoultaneously. no wonder you see primer everywhere..

scratches show black plastic? orly? since when does car color and plastic bonds perfectly?

you don't have a clue on painting a car and your paintjob is a good proof of that.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
Nice car, but too much money. I'd rather have what I own now.
Sorry but I have to raise the BS flag on that one.

Nice car, too much money, and I would rather have it than my S2.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

the paint just doesn't look original, original paint is much more lustrous. but I could be wrong. either way its a very nice car, I just like seeing if I can find something. you could also look at the exact shape of the non painted area around the vin near the cruise control motor... is the the right shape color?
Now you are getting stupid. the car has as much luster as any other old car taken with a cheap digital camera. fer cryinn out loud we cant blow up the paper big enough to read the type, and you are trying to analyze the orange peel.

as for the left rear cap, it is petty common to have that indentation. had it on my NA, and at least two of the three S2s Ive owned, and maybe even the turbo.

My stone gray 89 S2 has the original paint on it and just as much luster as that car has.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:46 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by Voith
some people do have bad depth perception.

and you don't seriously think that someone would be selling top $ 944 on ebay and previously painted it like you did yours? that car of yours is the sloppiest paintjob I have ever seen and I have seen a lot of them. only a true idiot can paint tires and car simoultaneously. no wonder you see primer everywhere..

scratches show black plastic? orly? since when does car color and plastic bonds perfectly?

you don't have a clue on painting a car and your paintjob is a good proof of that.
the guy who bought it with cash for over 3x what I paid for my car didnt seem to mind "my" paint job... I've never painted a car. he also said you guys are a bunch of aholes on this board too, lol that was funny that he knew this boards reputation.

Anyway, I'm not the only one to see the primer marks all around the car and other strange things.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:49 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Now you are getting stupid. the car has as much luster as any other old car taken with a cheap digital camera. fer cryinn out loud we cant blow up the paper big enough to read the type, and you are trying to analyze the orange peel.

as for the left rear cap, it is petty common to have that indentation. had it on my NA, and at least two of the three S2s Ive owned, and maybe even the turbo.

My stone gray 89 S2 has the original paint on it and just as much luster as that car has.
thats not my opinion, but I could be wrong, if you're 89 S2 has the same luster as a 9,000 mile car then something doesn't add up.

we don't know how "cheap" the photographers digital camera is, but my canon powershot s500 takes incredible pictures and it cost around $300.

it could be that I'm not a fan of stone grey?

Quick Reply: brand new 20 years old 944TS