Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brand new 20 years old 944TS

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bjzorn
the other that gets me to is the coolant tank is very white and looks brand new. I figure even if that was the original milage on the car the coolant tank would have some discoloration from sitting so much.
I think the discoloration or browning of the coolant tank is more directly related to the number of heat cycles the engine is subjected to than to just sitting. Not very many in 9,200 miles.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:21 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In regards to the green markings on the struts my 90 S2 has the same green marks and mine is not an M030 car. It has the M031 option but not M030. M031 means it has the Koni yellow shocks that are adjustable for rebound but not height adjustable. Its possible that this car has the same option as mine given the ride height of the car
Old 12-08-2007, 05:23 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Upon further review, its not an auto as the description states. How depressing would it be to buy this car with an auto?
Old 12-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea at first glance I though it was an auto too and hadn't quite finshed saying You gotta be F....ing kidding me.... when I saw the stick shift. Did anyone run a carfax? I'd agree that for top dollar there had better be no shortage of documentation.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Can't read the docs in the ad but where does it say it's a Turbo S aside from the sellers description that also says it's an "automatic"? Maybe it's just a 1988 220 HP 951, and that would explain the speedo.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:47 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike C.
... I'd agree that for top dollar there had better be no shortage of documentation.
Think about this for a minute. What sort of documentation would you expect? The car has 9200 miles, that's 3 oil changes max and hopefully at least two belt jobs, hoses, and fluids due to aging. It would be interesting to see what is in the owners maintenance record book. It would tell you several things:
Where the car originated
What service was done at what mileage

Hopefully anyone from this forum bidding on the car is asking these questions and getting the correct answers. There are several people here with CarFax accounts but no one has checked this car yet? Call me cautious but for $15K I would want to know all I could about this car before bidding; otherwise it is overpriced and it hasn't even hit the reserve yet.

caveat emptor
Old 12-08-2007, 07:01 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by bjzorn
the other that gets me to is the coolant tank is very white and looks brand new. I figure even if that was the original milage on the car the coolant tank would have some discoloration from sitting so much. Also like Steve stated eariler all '88 951S came with a 180MPH speedo. I also noticed rust on the inside of the exhaust tip which tells me atleast that it probably at one point had be exposed to snow/ice and road salt. I would stay away from this car. After looking at the pictures more this car also doesn't look like it has the M030 option. its hard to tell but it looks like regular US ride hide to me. VIN number tells me it is a Turbo S. though
also look at the center console from the passenger side picture, up under the dash board you can see rust on the screw that screws that in and no cap over the screw, and you can also see how the carpet isn't flush and seamed up under the dash in the area of the center console, this makes it look like it was put back together or restored and not original.

the paint also looks very "bumpy", especially around the license plate, I've seen better paint jobs, this doesnt look orginal or even like a good paint job. then look at the left rear bumper black rubber piece in the upper left corner you can see where the paint is gone, sanded or worn off.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:12 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

I think your right. Why would a 9200 mile car have new floor mats as well. My 90 S2 has the original mats that came with the car and they look great. I don't need to change them out at all
Old 12-08-2007, 07:17 PM
fastmover
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys,
it is a turbo s, 1st off it has the dual banjo vacum fittings on the intake, it does have the m030 suspension, notice the black caps on the struts. I can make out the turbo s option on the lower right side of the window sticker (3rd line). this one is a regular turbo build with the s package added on, not one of the original turbo s builds. It still is a turbo s though. I can even make out the vin and match it to the advertised vin. My turbo s silver rose, has the 180 mph speedo and headlight washers, it is one of the 339 original builds before Porsche opened it up to all options. And you cannot identify an turbo S by vin only that it is a turbo. Very nice car anyhow, I wish I could buy it.

Semper Fi.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:32 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
I think the discoloration or browning of the coolant tank is more directly related to the number of heat cycles the engine is subjected to than to just sitting. Not very many in 9,200 miles.
That tank is not original, look at the difference between an original '89 and a new one (has square raised sections.) The previous seller clamed it was all original before being called out on the speedo, and then traded it to the current dealer. Maybe they believed his "all original" story. I asked a question on ebay for them to explain the 160 MPH speedo, no answer yet.
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2007, 07:38 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Thats what I was thinking. I saw the raised level on the new tank there
Old 12-08-2007, 08:04 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by fastmover
Hey guys,
it is a turbo s, 1st off it has the dual banjo vacum fittings on the intake, it does have the m030 suspension, notice the black caps on the struts. I can make out the turbo s option on the lower right side of the window sticker (3rd line). this one is a regular turbo build with the s package added on, not one of the original turbo s builds. It still is a turbo s though. I can even make out the vin and match it to the advertised vin. My turbo s silver rose, has the 180 mph speedo and headlight washers, it is one of the 339 original builds before Porsche opened it up to all options. And you cannot identify an turbo S by vin only that it is a turbo. Very nice car anyhow, I wish I could buy it.

Semper Fi.
so you wish you could buy something from someone who is lying about what the car is?
Old 12-08-2007, 08:07 PM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Seems like this car is promoted to be just a little more than it is. Zooming in on the paperwork photo supports it's specification as an 88 Turbo S, and it appears to be nice example, but the rest of the picture is muddy...the seats are believable as being from a very low mile car, but the speedo, some odd rust in the tailpipe and interior screw all leave questions. Overflow tank could have been a legitimate repair as some fail just due to age.

At the end of the day, service records will tell the tale, I think. Seems odd that this much effort would be committed to fake a water cooler, though, as the gain might only be $7-8K above a fairly priced, lightly used survivor with moderately low miles. Usually, detailed condition/mileage fakes are attempted on cars that bring a bigger premium, but the Internet creates some very interesting "stick 'em and run" mentality, so the scam alert is justified here.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kevincnc
That tank is not original, look at the difference between an original '89 and a new one (has square raised sections.) The previous seller clamed it was all original before being called out on the speedo, and then traded it to the current dealer. Maybe they believed his "all original" story. I asked a question on ebay for them to explain the 160 MPH speedo, no answer yet.
May very well be. I still think a tank would not be much browner with only 9,200 miles on it. Plastic contracts and expands with heat, possibly making those sections more apparent.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:14 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmover
Very nice car anyhow, I wish I could buy it.

Semper Fi.
You can buy it if you want but you'll never sell it to anyone for the same price that asks the same questions brought up here. That's the whole point. I don't think most of deny that it's a Turbo S, in very nice condition, or is probably lower mileage. The question remains though: Is that car worth the $16K it will probably go for knowing it has serious authenticity issues? I think the broker isn't familiar enough with the specifics of the model and is going to find out he made a serious mistake in overpaying for the car.

Quick Reply: brand new 20 years old 944TS