Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brand new 20 years old 944TS

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007 | 02:50 PM
myskyon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fastmover
well i looked up the car, it has no warranty work done to it ever, is was originally deliverd to 1st owner on 08/89 with 7683 miles, in jackson, mi. It was probally owned by the dealer or used as a demo of some sort. and there is 1 campaign open on it.

Semper Fi
so then what is carfax pulling up on it? both posts have brought up work being done and i think it was warranty work?. so this Does mean that maybe it was a katrina car that was stolen from the area because it was there then detailed now being sold for Way too much as the bids are up to $22k with the reserve not yet met. so some one could have spent $10k in brining back a dead car to sell for $25k. thats a $15k return well worth it in my book but i would lean more twards they spent $5-7k in detailing and fixing. the 160 speedo is a clear marker it was replaced, I have 2 '87 regular turbos with 180 speedos. so it is probably a whole cluster change to '86. also in the pictures look at the calipers and you may see some of the factory caps missing from the bleeder screws. both my '87's have all of them and my 83 had them all. hmm why missing? aldo the paint looks correct with the orange peel look. i am not an expert just stating what i see. I would send a message to the guy that lives close to the place selling the car and ask them to take some high res pictures of in the front fenders, under the car, behind the wheel well in the car, the fire wall behind the engine, and other misc spots of tell tail signs that this is a rebuild. just my 2 cents.
also think about this this guy is raising the value of all our cars with the sale of this fake. so we all could get more money for our ride should we go to the dark side!.
Old 12-10-2007 | 03:33 PM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by apierce918
whats does it mean when there is 1 campaign open on it?
It has a recall, Porsche calls there recalls campiagns.

Mark
Old 12-10-2007 | 03:37 PM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by myskyon
so then what is carfax pulling up on it? both posts have brought up work being done and i think it was warranty work?.
Where do you see any info from carfax??? the only info i see is open warrantee's that MAY apply to it, as Fast"bowl"movement has pointed out there is an open campaign.

Mark
Old 12-10-2007 | 03:54 PM
fastmover
Pro

Mark I am going to kick your A$$ (j/k), Its not my car, I would put mine up starting at 40k. Ha Ha. A campaign is a voluntary recall that has not been completed. It shows up on vehicle reports to warn potential customers that it has to be completed, and Porsche warranty covers it even if it is 25 yrs old.
Maybe the seller is the smoking man, maybe he shot kennedy and oswald, maybe his shop is the grassy knoll. There is no reason to beleive the car is a fraud. It was never titled, look at the title in the picture, it is still the Porsche certificate of origin, not a state title. If you all beleive that it's not a forged copy!
There is no reason to not assume the car was just recently serviced to make it drivable on a transporter or dealer tag.

Mark WHY DO I HAVE TO WORK WITH YOU ?!!!!!
Old 12-10-2007 | 03:56 PM
fastmover
Pro

Hey Mark do you want to split the money when it sells?
Old 12-10-2007 | 03:56 PM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by fastmover
Mark WHY DO I HAVE TO WORK WITH YOU ?!!!!!
Cause your the luckiest SOB in the shop... oh yeah buddy, just you and me day after christmas... lucky guy you...
Old 12-10-2007 | 04:58 PM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Just to confirm some stuff, based on the VIN. It is just a normal Turbo with the Turbo-S package. This is the reason for the 160mph speedo.

It has LSD, Split Rear Seats, Standard Comfort Seats, Blaupunkt Reno Radio, and M940 Sound Package, along with other standard options.

Not sure which campaign that is, something to do with a hose. Could also be a bug, there are 993's that show open campaigns sometimes that are only for Euro Cars.
Old 12-10-2007 | 05:56 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Erzengal
Just to confirm some stuff, based on the VIN. It is just a normal Turbo with the Turbo-S package. This is the reason for the 160mph speedo.
That makes no sense. Turbo S cars are not a dealer-option kinda thing, there are extensive changes to the body that is done at the factory. It's not a kit that gets added on. You can't tell a Turbo S by the VIN either, the VIN shows no distinction between Turbo, Turbo S or Silver Rose.

If there was such a thing as a 'Turbo S package' it would not mean the car should have a 160mph speedo.

I had a twin to this car, a Stone Gray over black script 1988 Turbo S and it had a 180mph speedo, and an equalizer for the 10-speaker system. All Turbos, S or non-s, after early 1987 should have a 180mph speedo. All 10-speaker cars should have that EQ. If the car is a real time capsule car no one in their right mind would remove or change equipment like that.

A car like this, it's worth $15k based on the condition (or so I'd guess from the pics.) Any more they get for it is based on provenance. Any more they get based on false provenance is stolen money.

This car is a bit of a mutt I'm afraid.
-Joel.
Old 12-10-2007 | 06:02 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Second-best posting in this thread.

I love how several people have critiqued the fact that the original tires aren't on this car. 20 year old tires usually have dry rot and would be flat-spotted from sitting for that long (unless the car was stored in a dark, bubble enclosed room with the wheels up off the floor, even then......................)

Most of the people ragging on the car drive a shat-box example of the breed. 'Nuff said.
I don't even own a shat box anymore so I have envy others'.
Old 12-10-2007 | 06:07 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
That makes no sense. Turbo S cars are not a dealer-option kinda thing, there are extensive changes to the body that is done at the factory. It's not a kit that gets added on. You can't tell a Turbo S by the VIN either, the VIN shows no distinction between Turbo, Turbo S or Silver Rose.

If there was such a thing as a 'Turbo S package' it would not mean the car should have a 160mph speedo.

I had a twin to this car, a Stone Gray over black script 1988 Turbo S and it had a 180mph speedo, and an equalizer for the 10-speaker system. All Turbos, S or non-s, after early 1987 should have a 180mph speedo. All 10-speaker cars should have that EQ. If the car is a real time capsule car no one in their right mind would remove or change equipment like that.

A car like this, it's worth $15k based on the condition (or so I'd guess from the pics.) Any more they get for it is based on provenance. Any more they get based on false provenance is stolen money.

This car is a bit of a mutt I'm afraid.
-Joel.
does porsche give the blaupunkt radio user manual with new cars?
Old 12-10-2007 | 06:11 PM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
I had a twin to this car, a Stone Gray over black script 1988 Turbo S and it had a 180mph speedo, and an equalizer for the 10-speaker system.

-Joel.
My car is an original Silver Rose and it did not come with an equalizer. I have since changed the head unit so I can't take a picture, but I assure you of this.

-Darwin
Old 12-10-2007 | 06:14 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by Bonestock951S
My car is an original Silver Rose and it did not come with an equalizer. I have since changed the head unit so I can't take a picture, but I assure you of this.

-Darwin
are you the original owner?
Old 12-10-2007 | 06:17 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Someone probably binned your EQ before you got the car. Not impossible, but pretty weird in a 10K mile time capsule car. Understandable in a normal car that's seen some use.
Old 12-10-2007 | 06:20 PM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by 944J
are you the original owner?
Bought it from the original owner and converse with him often. He never touched the audio in the car, only put Autothority chips in it. Then it came to me and I canned the original and put in a CD head unit. I have the old cubby that came out if anyone wants it.

-Darwin
Old 12-10-2007 | 06:38 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

M490 stereo was standard on all Turbo S's- specs below:

85/2 944 onwards (M490 10 speaker system, M493 8-speaker system)
This system consists of a better quality head unit with an equalizer/booster in dash. Each door contains 3 speakers - a 5-1/2" woofer and a 4" midrange mounted under the armrest with a small tweeter mounted above the power window controls. Each rear quarter contains 2 speakers - a 6 1/2" woofer and a nn" midrange.

Maybe they were out of them that day.

Lots of opinions floating around here and everyone can't be right, anyone have an '88 turbo S factory brochure?

Quick Reply: brand new 20 years old 944TS