Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving cross-country - Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007 | 10:05 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Default Driving cross-country - Any tips?

I'm relocating from San Antonio to Seattle next week and will be driving the 924S there myself. Anyone have advice on how to get the car ready? So far I:

Recently changed out the oil (synthetic / maybe 1,xxx miles on it)
Replaced coolant and brake fluid within the past 12 months
Transaxle fluid has 15K miles
Timing belt / balance shaft belt and rollers have ~15K miles / 2 years
Other belts have under 10K miles
Tires have 15K, front wheel bearings may be due for adjustment though

The engine is healthy and the car doesn't make any ominous noises. I drive it to work every day. I'd planned on bringing along the spare, compressor, an extra belt that goes only to the alternator, some oil and antifreeze, and tools to change belts and tires. Should I bring along anything else? Mountain Dew, energy drinks and a CB to listen to truckers? The trip is 2,300 miles.
Old 07-11-2007 | 10:11 PM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

I would make shure all your cooling hoses are in really good shape. Its easy to replace a tire anywhere, but things like hoses and a dme relay I would take with me.
Old 07-11-2007 | 10:13 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

What route are you taking?
Old 07-11-2007 | 10:14 PM
greenshoes3
Pro

bring money
Old 07-11-2007 | 10:15 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Battery, cooling system, and tires are the top reasons for roadside breakdowns. Speed and Alcohol are the top two controllable reasons for accidents, do your best to avoid these issues and your ahead of the general masses out there.

Now I would add some Jimmy Buffett, Diana Krall, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Peter Gabriel, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Dave Matthews, Joe Walsh, Frank Sinatra... am I missing anyone else????
Old 07-11-2007 | 10:20 PM
944kid
Banned

Carry with you some towels to place on your seat to change up the cushion a bit. Seats get really uncomfortable when you're in them for hours on end.

Radio. Make sure it works. If it doesn't, you're going to be going out of your mind. If you don't have one, bring along a CD player boom box. Whatever you do, this is second most important after the seats.

Break up the driving time. Fatigue is the worst, be sure to stop often and walk around or maybe sit in the sun while taking in fresh air.

That's all I can think of that hasn't been mentioned.
Old 07-11-2007 | 10:43 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Good ideas... Cooling hoses have been replaced within the last year and a half as they started to go out, one at a time. I think Paragon can get a DME relay to me by Monday when I plan on heading out. Just gotta figure out where they hid the little guy on the 924S. I checked on the battery just now and it's topped off. Wouldn't have thought of that one either.

I'll leave a few towels out for the seat while packing the place up. That idea never crossed my mind. The stereo works great - I run my mp3 player through it because local radio in SA isn't the best. My ipod died a month ago but I should be able to keep a laptop / winamp going through an inverter. Need to add a little Pink Floyd to the mix before heading out...

The quickest route according to all the map sites is to go to El Paso, north into New Mexico and through Utah, Idaho, eastern Oregon / Washington and into Seattle. I forced it to go west on 10 and up I-5 and that added about 250 miles and some pretty big metro areas to the trip. My father is coming along, pulling a small enclosed trailer with things I've boxed up in his Suburban. Wish that thing got better mileage... I'd have probably tried going as far as possible before pulling off for sleep but since there's only 1 driver / car it looks like we'll have to stop somewhere.
Old 07-11-2007 | 10:50 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

DME relay, hammer, oil oil oil, dextron ps fluid- gas.
Old 07-11-2007 | 10:51 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Just drove from LA to Santa Fe, then up through Utah (Zion) and back to LA. Not in the 44 though. Gonna be hot but beautiful. Don't hesitate to contact me if you break down or just want to stay on the 10 another 17 miles (past the 5) to Santa Monica. Good luck with your trip and have fun in any event.
Old 07-12-2007 | 03:11 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Socks.
Old 07-12-2007 | 05:14 AM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Good pair of sunglasses and some artificial tears (eye lubricating drops). Sunlight and air conditioning blowing on you will have a drying effect on your eyes, possibly causing light sensitivity, irritation, and fatigue. Avoid using Visine/Murine ("red out" formula) as these don't have good lubricating properties. Their "tear" formula is ok, but some other good brands are: Genteal (mild or moderate), Systane, and Refresh. Use the drops around four times a day, whether you feel like you need them or not. You don't want to wait until you start getting symptoms.. (itching,burning,watering,etc.), before you start using them. Can you tell what I do for a living?..lol
Also, if you wear contact lenses, you can use rewetting solution, or the "Refresh" drops, as they are thinner and more compatible with contacts.
Old 07-12-2007 | 05:31 AM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

This is a good opertunity to see how good fuel economy your getting. 2,300 miles thou in a SUBURBAN?!? Your just asking for trouble. You better bring a spare engine and all the gas from the middle east for your trip. You will need it.
Old 07-12-2007 | 06:15 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lizard944
Can you tell what I do for a living?..lol

...Wait wait, don't tell me!....
Old 07-12-2007 | 06:54 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Buy a flexible cooler with built-in cupholders and put it in the back seat. Pack it with ice, soft drinks, fruit, snacks and other edibles. Check the ice every time you have to stop to refuel.

Having refreshments handy will help you drive longer without feeling tired. This worked great for me on a 5K mile summer roadtrip around the U.S. in the S2 cab.
Old 07-12-2007 | 09:56 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Moist towelletttes or handy wipes. I'd hate to get my hands dirty/greasy, then have to hold onto the leather steering wheel or shift ****.

Small garbage can behind the passenger seat; shouldn't tip over.

+1 on Luis' idea, but on a long trip, I'd probably pack two coolers - large one with lots of ice packs for long term (1/2 day to 2-day) cooling, small one in front that I can easily reach without taking my eyes off the road.

Got walkie-talkies for chatting with dad, letting him know when you need a restroom and vice-versa?

Lots of other great ideas for long distance driving!

Tooth brush and toothpaste, and maybe some small paper cups... you'll be eating/drinking junk and sweets; and (for me, anyway) having clean teeth is also refreshing!

Take some wash-cloths; you can run hot or cold water and wipe you face/neck off at rest stops; that can help, too.

If you're really paranoid, bring some Lysol wipes in a small plastic bag along with some extra toilet paper in another bag with you... in case you run across a nasty rest stop with no TP, but you can't wait any longer

Quick Reply: Driving cross-country - Any tips?