Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving cross-country - Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Welcome to Seattle!

Good idea on the cooler for the back seat.

Hoses, belts and relay are important.

How about a camera? Radar detector?

Have a great drive!
Old 07-12-2007, 03:33 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

+1 on the toilet paper, ask me how i know..

Make sure your windshield washer fluid is topped off and that you have a good pair of wipers. I guarantee you'll have to use them several times a day and nothing is more annoying than having to drive a couple thousand miles with streaks on your windshield.

I don't know if this has been covered yet, but make sure your tires are properly inflated. Among other reasons, under inflated tires will cost you in terms of gas mileage.

Also, XM radio is really nice to take along with you because you can listen to your favorite stations all the way across the country, but thats just an extra.

Don't forget to bring your wallet and drivers license!
Old 07-12-2007, 03:37 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

Old 07-12-2007, 03:40 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Nobody needs that many rest stops, just one will do.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:43 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Another suggestion is a smaller towel to hang on the inside of the driver's window. You are heading NW, and the setting sun can be a real hassle shining in the window.

My preference is to drive at night on the interstate. Less traffic, cooler temps, and usually you will find a truck or two making good time.

Did anyone mention a pillow?

How about a good size coffee cup, if you drink coffee. Many convenience stores will allow you to refill your cup with coffee or soda at a reduced cost.

If you want to check gas prices, mapquest has a gas price option. You can check prices from state to state and fill-up in the lower priced states.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:57 PM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thread. I'll be making a similar trip on Friday (but only 800mi). The present radio in the car is one of those cassette numbers. I'm going to bring a cassette audio adaptor along with an inverter to power my laptop. Plug the adaptor into the computer and all the thousands of songs on my playlist can be played through the deck. I could also do that with a FM transmitter adaptor, but I'm not a fan of those.

Make sure you have a mobile phone and charger.

Vacuum out the interior and drive without shoes on. Get some plush floor mats. This makes a huge difference in the foot comfort area. I think anyway.

That's a pretty long trip. If you've never done a road trip like this before, relish it. If you have the time, take in some of the sights. See a sign for the worlds largest watermelon? Check it out!

And definitely take lots of pictures. Video too if you can. I'm going to be taking my camera along.

Best advice tho is if you feel tired, pull over anywhere, crank the seat back and sleep. We can't afford to lose another 924 .
Old 07-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lord_Galva
This is a good opertunity to see how good fuel economy your getting. 2,300 miles thou in a SUBURBAN?!? Your just asking for trouble. You better bring a spare engine and all the gas from the middle east for your trip. You will need it.
The Suburban is to pull a short enclosed trailer. It's a 4x4 so that doesn't help any with the mileage... if there were any other way to pull the trailer I'd go that route. The plan is to set the cruise on that car at around the speed limit to squeeze all the mileage possible out of it.

I'm taking lots of notes on everything posted... lots of go-do items to take care of. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-12-2007, 04:24 PM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about renting (one way) a van.If you only need a 4x4 everything would fit.Much better gas mileage ! Also I second the eye drops. I took a trip to Main one year and contacts dried out.What a discomfort that was !!
Old 07-12-2007, 05:26 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by NCporsche
Another suggestion is a smaller towel to hang on the inside of the driver's window. You are heading NW, and the setting sun can be a real hassle shining in the window
Great idea!
Last time I drove out west, I put up one of those static cling shade thingies. I could see through it fine and pull it off quickly if needed.

Originally Posted by RBed944
I'm going to bring a cassette audio adaptor along with an inverter to power my laptop.
How's the sound from those? I have one of those FM radio thingies, and it does a pretty poor job - very muted, doesn't get the high and low frequencies.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Todd157k
Burning Brakes

Man, you guys sure pack a lot of stuff. I'm flying into Las Cruces next week to pick up my "S" and driving it home. A couple people suggested trailering it, but I'm going to live on the wild side and drive it to So. Cal. Here's my list of stuff, all fitting in my fanny pack (no, I really don't call it that but would like to stay politically correct)

MP3 player (pwr cord) w/ cassette input. (yes, they work MUCH better than FM transmitters)

AAA card

Master Card

Gas Card

Blackberry

No Doze

Sun Glasses

Big smile.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:26 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jonh
Now I would add some Jimmy Buffett, Diana Krall, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Peter Gabriel, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Dave Matthews, Joe Walsh, Frank Sinatra... am I missing anyone else????
tupac
Old 07-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944

^^^ Has to find a way to ditch dad, first. Here's a few 'lines' that may prompt the need for such product:

"Is it hot in here, or is it just YOU?"

" I seemed to have lost my phone number, can I borrow yours?"

And if all else fails--- "Is there a mirror in your pants?.. 'cuz I can see myself in them."

Use at your own risk
Old 07-12-2007, 07:14 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jtsporsche
tupac
Tu who?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:25 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Lizard944
^^^ Has to find a way to ditch dad, first. Here's a few 'lines' that may prompt the need for such product:

"Is it hot in here, or is it just YOU?"

" I seemed to have lost my phone number, can I borrow yours?"

And if all else fails--- "Is there a mirror in your pants?.. 'cuz I can see myself in them."

Use at your own risk

they work every time..
Old 07-12-2007, 09:42 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

I treasured every minute of my cross-country drive in the 944, and I hope you do to.

If you have cruise, make sure it's working. This way you can tuck your knees up a bit and take the stress of your lower back. Also, a .45 can come in handy on the road.

Quick Reply: Driving cross-country - Any tips?