Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie questions to say the least.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 04:32 PM
NACRADUDE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie questions to say the least.

Howdy folks

I just bought a 1984 944 with 91000 miles on it for 3200.00. The car is in immaculate condition and as far as I can tell has every option available on that model year. The previous owner was as **** as I am and kept every receipt from the day he bought the car including the window sticker.

Questions about the cars options:

Can anyone tell me what the option group H42 consist of? It's a bunch of money (1815.00) for 1984.

Does stabilizers and sport shocks option mean an upgraded suspension with rear stabilizer bar and better than stock shocks?

Things that have been replaced recently:

New breaks and rotors with lifetime warranty
Rack and pinion with lifetime warranty
New tires and four wheel alighnment
New coil with lifetime warranty
New plugs, cap, rotor and fuel filter.
New cam and counter shaft belt and counter shaft pulley.
New break master cylinder.
New DME relay
New motor mounts.
New Alpine stereo with CD player (Speakers suck though)
New clutch, pressure plate throwout bearing

Things that are not working:

1. Windshield washer pump which I have on order, and which I assume will make the headlight washers operate again.
2. Rear window defroster which includes the side mirror defrosters.
(What are the chances that this is the relay and how can I check before paying 130.00 for the new relay)
3. Break wear sensors and or warning light.(The sensors might have been removed and is something I need to check)
4. Power roof doesn't latch right in the rear but doesn't leak unless directly. sprayed at the car wash.
5. The car runs a little hot when idling in traffic for a while (Anti-freeze was set for -34 when owners manual says -13) Is this the cause?
6. Power antenna doesn't work and I assume needs to be replaced. (Could this be a relay and how do you check)
7. Hatchback release doesn't work. I can hear the switch operate but won't release the hatch. I have oiled the release mechanism but it still won't open. Replace?
8. Break warning light fails to light up at all as per the owners manuals directions.
9. The Tachometer operates intermittently. The previous owner said that something on the firewall had been replaced (I have no idea what) and that should have fixed the problem but didn't. Ground wire?

Well that's all I can think of at the moment. As I said the car is in great shape and for the money I feel like I got a good deal. I mean hell, it has the original tool kit, jack, spare tire, floor mats and the AC is cold.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Martin

Last edited by NACRADUDE; 03-06-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

2. If the rear window defroster itself doesn't work, it could be the rear hatch shocks, since the connectors for it are on the shocks. To check if its the relay, turn on the defrost and check for voltage with a voltmeter.
On one side of the defroster you should have 12v when checked against the other side.

5. If the car runs a little hot, it could be an air bubble in the coolant, park on an incline with the front higher than the rear. Then you have to open the bleed hose and run the car with the heater on full.

9. If the tach operates intermittently, it is the guage probably. The thing that was replaced at the firewall probably was the speed and reference sensors, which provide the tach signal.
If those weren't working the car wouldn't start.

Congrats on the new purchase, and POST SOME PICS!
Old 03-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

Welcome. Congratulations on the purchase, it sounds like a good deal.

-mike
Old 03-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

#1 NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING. If you have headlight washers there is a check valve that may need to be cleaned / replaced. (Headlight washers on an early?? )
ALWAYS CHECK ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS FIRST.
#6. probably a bad motor- check elec connections first tho.
#7. check the archives to diagnose correctly. Probably an oxidized switch.

Welcome to Rennlist! and congrats in your new "baby"
Old 03-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Windshield washer pump which I have on order, and which I assume will make the headlight washers operate again.

-maybe, maybe not. push the washer stick foward with the lights on for the headlight washers

2. Rear window defroster which includes the side mirror defrosters.
(What are the chances that this is the relay and how can I check before paying 130.00 for the new relay)

-hatch shocks are a check as Borys said... that'll help your hatch lifting problem too...

3. Break wear sensors and or warning light.(The sensors might have been removed and is something I need to check)

-were the sensors replaced with the latest brake job? if so, there's an issue. if it's missing or broken, the light is on...

4. Power roof doesn't latch right in the rear but doesn't leak unless directly. sprayed at the car wash.

-car off. turn the key foward 1 click, press the sunroof switch in the "open" direction until the arms retract completely. put sunroof into position, put sunroof switch in "closed" position. arms should extend and properly latch it. if that doesn't happen, you probably need new gears. a new sunroof seal wouldn't hurt, but they're expen$ive.

5. The car runs a little hot when idling in traffic for a while (Anti-freeze was set for -34 when owners manual says -13) Is this the cause?

-generally, it's normal to see the temp rise at idle. if the cooling fans DON'T kick on, it's bad. could also be an air bubble.

6. Power antenna doesn't work and I assume needs to be replaced. (Could this be a relay and how do you check)

- no idea.

7. Hatchback release doesn't work. I can hear the switch operate but won't release the hatch. I have oiled the release mechanism but it still won't open. Replace?

-There are 2 10mm nuts holding on each latch for the hatch assembly. remove said latches, open and close them a lot manually, clean with WD-40, and lubricate with aerosol white lithium grease. open and close them a lot again to get the grease everywhere until they work smoothly. then, re-bolt to car. don't tighten them completely... yet... either you or a midget friend should lay in the hatch, while the other closes the hatch. when it latches, tighten the 2 10mm nuts. they'll be aligned. open and close the hatch with the key or button to assure smooth operation.

8. Break warning light fails to light up at all as per the owners manuals directions.

-what brake warning light is in question? pad sensor light or parking brake?

9. The Tachometer operates intermittently. The previous owner said that something on the firewall had been replaced (I have no idea what) and that should have fixed the problem but didn't. Ground wire?

since it's an early car, remove the steering wheel (1 24mm nut under the horn pad) and switches. there are 2 philips head screws above the multi gauge and the tach. undo those, and slide the gauge cluster foward. unscrew speedo cable and undo electrical connections, and clean said electrical connections with steel wool and electronic parts cleaner. put it all back together, and if that doesn't work, then check grounds...

Good luck and Welcome!
Old 03-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

oh yeah, and POST PICS!
Old 03-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
oh yeah, and POST PICS!

Thanks Geoff!
Old 03-07-2007, 04:14 PM
NACRADUDE
Intermediate

Thanks guys, I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend. That is of course if I can keep my live in car theif from snatching it. It seems I have been living with the blond older version of Danica Patrick and she's a gear head.
Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2007, 10:45 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

ooOOOooo. Love em in black. it's a beauty! Good luck! if you need anything, we're all helpful here (for the most part) but like all other internet web forums, take what we say with a grain of salt... and if we're wrong and you break it more, it's not our fault
Old 03-07-2007, 10:54 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is one sweet ride for $3200!!! That's why I think I'm going to grab one as a spare. You just can't go wrong with any 944. My friend who just bought my 89 Carrera Cab has that exact same car (in burgundy/brown though). He has over 540,000 km's (375,000 mi) on it with the original clutch no less! Just get the timing belt done or else you may lose your deal. Great buy pal.

Enjoy
Old 03-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Bart
Nordschleife Master

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I was always under the impression the headlight washer and windshield washer were two different pumps with the headlight washer pump being in the bottom of the fluid container and the windshield washer pump being on the top of the container.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:48 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Mmm...Danica Patrick...

Quick Reply: Newbie questions to say the least.